San Diego hotels/motel recommendations

D4

We're flying into San Diego two days before our cruise and staying one night after.

Any recommendations on places to stay? We're not sure what we want to do yet. (I don't want to worry about flight problems so we fly in 2 days early.) We have 2 teens and would like a place where we could walk to some inexpensive restaurants so we don't spend a fortune on food. We'd take a taxi to the zoo or wherever we go.

We've gotten some fabulous deals for Miami from PriceLine, but it looks like San Diego is higher priced, especially in the summer. Thanks.

You will love San Diego! There is a Holiday Inn and a Best Western (I believe) that has a neat indoor/outdoor restaurant) across the street from the pier.

One day we took the Trolley which stops at the Pier, Old Town (excellent Mexican food), Catalina Island, The Horton Plaza, the Zoo, Seaside Port, and I believe a museum. It was great, you could spend at little or as much time at you wanted at each stop. The Tram (I think that's what is called) can also be picked up close to the Pier (2 blocks). We stayed at the W which was about 4 blocks from the Pier.

Have fun planning icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

Here's a link to the Best West Western we just booked in San Diego for one night Pre Cruise for October. We didn't want to take a chance with Priceline, we think the location of this hotel will be perfect. It was $89.99 plus tax, just change the dates for whatever dates you are staying for.

http://res.cheaptickets.com/servlet/reservations.AvailabilityXML?propcode=LDC;252056&remote=cpt4&mastercode=cpt&inmonth=10&inday=2&inyear=2004&outmonth=10&outday=3&outyear=2004&numadults=2&numchildren=&numrooms=1

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

May 2nd, 2004

Adventure of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

D4.....I believe the W she is refering to is the Best Western which is located at 555 W Ash St.

Here is a map of where the hotel is and where the ships will be docked. It's only about a half of mile.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&2n=SAN+DIEGO+COUNTY&1tabval=address&2tabval=address&1sbx=0&1ex=1&cl=EN&2ex=1&un=m&2sbx=0&ct=NA&1y=US&1a=555+W.+Ash+st.&1c=san+diego&1s=&1z=92101&2y=US&2a=1050+N+HARBOR+DR&2c=SAN+DIEGO&2s=CA&2z=92101-3316&formtype1=address&formtype2=address&idx=0&id=404dd440-00326-055c2-400c252f&aid=404dd440-00327-055c2-400c252f

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

May 2nd, 2004

Adventure of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

I was in San Diego on business last fall and stayed at a Holiday Inn right across from the pier. I had a room on the 10th floor facing the bay. It was fun to come back to the hotel and sit on the balcony and watch the ships depart. I think these were Holland America ships that were just in San Diego for the day. Anyway, it was very conveniently located to the pier, Seaport Village and the trolly that could take you around. Have fun....it's a great city.

Carol

Enchantment of the Seas 11/01

Mercury 12/02

Serenade of the Seas 1/04

Radiance of the Seas 12/04

sun_e0.gif

Pre-cruise I would stay at the Holiday Inn across from the pier and request a room facing the port. It was so fabulous to wake up the morning of the sailing and look out our window and see the ship! The bellhop literally rolled our luggage across the street and turned it over to the pier porters. It was by far the least stressful boarding I've ever experienced!

7 previous cruises, Hawaii scheduled May 2004, and Western Carib Oct 2004

Murphy: Were you being serious that the Holiday Inn is so close that you don't even need a taxi? That would be amazing! That would make it a very convenient place for our post-cruise night, too.

If we stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay, are there inexpensive places to eat nearby? We won't have a car.

Any other suggestions on where to stay?

Yes, I am serious. You can walk across the street! icon_smile.gif I thought they might load up our luggage in their minivan just because of traffic, but the bellhop just rolled the luggage cart across the street! We checked with them in the morning to see about transferring our luggage and they were expecting a convention to arrive in the afternoon, but as long as we brought our luggage down in the morning and we willing to wait a few minutes until they weren't helping other people check in or out, they were very willing to help us cross the street.

There is a little fishing village across the street too. You can walk to it and there is at least one seafood restaurant with rather reasonable prices if I remember. The Holiday Inn also has a restaurant/bar that had outside seating which was nice. We were only there one night, so didn't look any further for additional restaurants, but I'm sure there are lots within a short taxi ride.

7 previous cruises, Hawaii on Legend scheduled May 2004, and Enchantment Oct 2004

Yes, there are places to eat around the Holiday Inn, the Best Western (at least I think it was a Best Western) has a very nice restaurant and they are less than a block away, directly across from the pier. There are also a few restaurants across the street next to the pier. And several more within walking distance. Little Italy, which has excellent pizza is about 10 blocks away, a very cheap cab ride.

You can take the Tram to Old Town which has excellent mexican food.

I can't wait to get back to San Diego icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

As a SD native, I can confirm that the Holiday id right across the street. You would have to take a taxi to the zoo, Balboa park or Sea World, but there are good restaurants within walking distance.

The seafood restaurant across the street is called Anthony's and it's wonderful. It's next to a beautiful double masted ship called the Star of Inda. There are two parts to Anthony's. One is a nice sit down restaurant that overlooks SD bay. The other is a quick streetside stand with a smaller, mostly fried, menu.

Seaport Village is well within walking distance. Just follow the water line south. It's about 15 minute walk and a nice place to visit.

<blink><font color=#33CCCC size=5>On my way to the Caribbean in May icon_biggrin.gif </font></blink>

Talk with others on my cruise

Archived