Novice snorkeler in Whitsundays

lorri111

Am cruising with Princess next Feb and keen to try snorkeling for first time but am confused as to whether a stinger suit is necessary. We would be looking at snorkeling off the beach in shallow water rather than off a raft or boat in deeper waters.

We did a ship's tour - oceanrafting. We went on a large, fast inflatable to two destinations - an isolated coral beach on Hook Island and to Bali hai Island ( opposite Hayman Island). Both times the raft was beached and we walked into whatever depth to snorkel as suited. We didn't have to wear stinger suits in November.

But previously we went to Whitehaven Beach same time of year and we were issued with stinger suits from the tour boat.

In February it may be different but if issued I would wear a stinger suit.

Don't forget your reef shoes.

Reef shoes are also known as aqua or water shoes. Rubber soled with some type of polyester, wet suit material upper. Some of the island beaches in the Whitsundays are rough crushed coral and a bit rough on the feet!

image.jpg.4966ef352a9685f4591c62a0be4e06a4.jpg

If you are a novice do what we do - pack a noodle in our bags these give us just enough buoyancy to go out into deeper water for some snorkelling and of course don't forget the reef shoes which can be purchased K mart BCF or Anaconda.

The noodles only cost a couple of bucks each and are easy to pack in your bags.

Am cruising with Princess next Feb and keen to try snorkeling for first time but am confused as to whether a stinger suit is necessary. We would be looking at snorkeling off the beach in shallow water rather than off a raft or boat in deeper waters.

The majority of locals do not go in the water without some type of stinger protection. The jellyfish season is usually from October to April or May so in February, I wouldn't be getting in the water without some type of suit. As to your question about shallow water, it makes no difference as they come right into the beach. Even in the netted off areas, small jelyfish can still get through the mesh. You can go into the water and walk right into them.

Yes, there is no way I would risk it. You have to assume they can be anywhere - more so closer to the coast than out wider. But wherever it is you want to put your toes in, no suit no swim! Not worth the risk. They are killers.

I wear a stinger suit all the time. In winter months it gives you a little extra warmth. In summer, it means I don't have to lather myself with sunscreen. I burn very easily, so SPF 50 protection that doesn't wash off is very welcome :)