Is it possible to walk from Civitavecchia train station to Ship

Denis54

Our ship will be at dock 12 BIS (N). I have checked on Google Maps and it seems to be a 2 kms walk. Having to wait for 2 shuttle bus does not sound very attractive and that is what makes me wonder if we should walk instead.

Is it possible to walk from the train station to our ship? Is it safe? Does it make sense?

Yes. I did it. There is free shuttle once you reach the gates of the port. They 'the port authority' don't allow people to walk around the port as there are no paths and there are ferries and container ships.

The ferries from the port gates go very regularly.

It is possible. We walked in November to dock 13 which is further still. It is a long walk in the port, with nothing to see.

It is not unsafe if following the marked walkways. We were looking for a port bus stop at the time, but there is none.

By the time we realised it was closer than trying to go back to the port gate so we pressed on.

After a long day walking around Rome, at least the evening was cool.

I would not choose to walk to the more distant berths again. It is a shorter walk to walk through town to the via Turco gate then take the port bus.

The port bus does not run very late though so check the schedule first.

Our ship will be at dock 12 BIS (N). I have checked on Google Maps and it seems to be a 2 kms walk. Having to wait for 2 shuttle bus does not sound very attractive and that is what makes me wonder if we should walk instead.

Is it possible to walk from the train station to our ship? Is it safe? Does it make sense?

You can, but I would not especially depending on what ship you are boarding, could be a long haul, dragging luggage.

There are multiple berths at the port.

Kerryincork, could you explain what you mean by "the gates of the port"? Do you mean Forte Micheangelo or the shuttle bus sto at Via Turco?

Also you say that the port authority do not allow people to walk but you also mention that you did walk. Could you clarify also?

Our cruise begins at Civitavecchia so we will probably get to the ship between 1 and 2 PM with a lot of other passengers.

The day I went there we caught the bus at Forte Michealangelo, there were port officials directing us to the busses. Who were not allowing foot passengers in to the main part of the port. I don't speak Italian, I just got 'dangerous' , I figured this was normal on cruise days, there were lots of taxis and private cars wizzing around 🤔

From what I remember the actual port looked very industrial, as well as cruise ships there were ferries and container ships (I saw plenty of lorries too, but they must have entered the port from a different entrance) 😀

Any way my main point is that you can easily walk to the Forte to catch the busses provided, they seemed to come & go every 5/10 min. They were all lined up & you just got on to the correct bus, i can't remember if they had signs up or if someone one guided us to the correct bus.

Edited by kerryincork

The day I went there we caught the bus at Forte Michealangelo, there were port officials directing us to the busses. Who were not allowing foot passengers in to the main part of the port. I don't speak Italian, I just got 'dangerous' , I figured this was normal on cruise days, there were lots of taxis and private cars wizzing around 🤔

From what I remember the actual port looked very industrial, as well as cruise ships there were ferries and container ships (I saw plenty of lorries too, but they must have entered the port from a different entrance) 😀

Any way my main point is that you can easily walk to the Forte to catch the busses provided, they seemed to come & go every 5/10 min. They were all lined up & you just got on to the correct bus, i can't remember if they had signs up or if someone one guided us to the correct bus.

I'm guessing your cruise was more than a couple years ago?

They moved the port entrance; it is no longer at the Fort. It is much less convenient for getting to and from the train station as the new entrance is about twice as far to walk.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm guessing your cruise was more than a couple years ago?

They moved the port entrance; it is no longer at the Fort. It is much less convenient for getting to and from the train station as the new entrance is about twice as far to walk.

I am a little confused. :confused: Last October (2015), we walked a short distance from the railway station to the gate at the fort end of the port. There, we were loaded onto shuttle buses, with our luggage, but had to change to a second shuttle before getting to our ship. I wonder if this is a regular service now, with a second shuttle going to and from the old port gate? :cool:

We also cruised out 10-12-15. The port entrance is not through the fort.

Our hotel took us to the far birthing area where rhapsody was moored. She had to walk approx 3 blocks after porters took our luggage.

We on disembark I hired a car to take us to the train station, we were moored at the celebrity dock and I was very thankful to have the ride. It is several blocks on uneven surfaces to get out of the port and then approx 3 block once you walk past the Fort to the train station. Lots of traffic. If you have any luggage I would not walk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So lets clear this up. The internal port shuttles which used to run to and from an area near the Fort...no longer go to that area (they now go to a different off-port area more then a mile from the train station). However, if walking to or from the station you can still use a pedestrian entrance/exit by the fort. And there is no problem walking within the port as they still have the marked walking lanes...although you would need to have an idea where your ship was docked within the expansive port. Depending on your docking location it could easily take 40 min (give or take) to get between ship and train station. For those of us who love to walk, and have the time...walking is still a decent option.

One can also use the new free shuttle route to get from ship to bus transfer point (outside the port) where you then pay 2€ to get on another local shuttle bus which will take you directly to the train station. If you want to catch that same shuttle bus from the station....they now load right across the street from the train station (you need to buy your ticket at the station). When we were last at the Port (this past April) the shuttle system was actually well run and we did not have any long waits.

Hank

So lets clear this up. The internal port shuttles which used to run to and from an area near the Fort...no longer go to that area (they now go to a different off-port area more then a mile from the train station). However, if walking to or from the station you can still use a pedestrian entrance/exit by the fort. And there is no problem walking within the port as they still have the marked walking lanes...although you would need to have an idea where your ship was docked within the expansive port. Depending on your docking location it could easily take 40 min (give or take) to get between ship and train station. For those of us who love to walk, and have the time...walking is still a decent option.

One can also use the new free shuttle route to get from ship to bus transfer point (outside the port) where you then pay 2€ to get on another local shuttle bus which will take you directly to the train station. If you want to catch that same shuttle bus from the station....they now load right across the street from the train station (you need to buy your ticket at the station). When we were last at the Port (this past April) the shuttle system was actually well run and we did not have any long waits.

Hank

I understand these directions, which match those of others. The confusing thing is that in October 2015, we walked a short distance from the station to that gate near the fort. Once inside the gate, we took a free internal shuttle to a terminal area, where we changed to another shuttle, taking us to the ship! I remain confused. :confused:

I understand these directions, which match those of others. The confusing thing is that in October 2015, we walked a short distance from the station to that gate near the fort. Once inside the gate, we took a free internal shuttle to a terminal area, where we changed to another shuttle, taking us to the ship! I remain confused. :confused:

The difference is that the shuttles no longer stop at the fort even if they pass by it and even if you ask them to do so. While the new shuttle stop is further from the train station it is walkable, as we did both ways. Another issue to take into account especially in the AM if you are inbound to Rome for a day is that the shuttle will not leave from your dock immediately but will wait for some unknown amount of time. That delay coupled with the longer walk forced a large group of us to miss the earliest train recently. That was compounded by the fact that it was a Sunday so the gap between trains was longer. Just realize some aspects of the trip are out of your control.

From docks 10 -13 you can walk to the Fort and to the train station. There are walkways. You can´t walk from dock 25. There you have to take the shuttle bus to Largo della Pace (with no stop at the Fort). The shuttle bus from docks 10 - 13 should also stop at the Fort.

We´ve been there about 4 weeks ago and docked at 25. We walked from Largo della Pace (BTW to the train station it´s 20 min, there is a second shuttle from Largo della Pace to the train station for 2 Euro). We wanted to see the Fort and walked in. Then we saw we can even go near the water and walked over to take photos of the ships in port. We saw people walking to the ships docked at 10 - 13. And there are definitely walkways.

steamboats

Actually I did not quite understand this website about the shuttles. It sound like they are stopping near the Forte on the way back from Largo della Pace to the ships on 10 - 13. Only between 11:30 am to 2:30 am they are also stopping at Bramante (parking area for terminals 10 - 13) on the way to Largo della Pace.

This website has interesting information too. And you can download this pdf-file for printing.

I´ll be in Civitavecchia next week at 12. But I´m not sure whether I will take the shuttle or simply walk.

steamboats

I´ll be in Civitavecchia next week at 12. But I´m not sure whether I will take the shuttle or simply walk.

I am guessing you will be on the Epic on Wednesday 28th September. I will be taking breakfast from 5.30am at the outdoor cafe and getting off after docking at 6.00am and walking to the station to catch the 7.02am train to Rome.

You are only confused because you are living in the past :confused: Many travel-related things do change with time, and in the case of Civitavecchia there were changes due to a modification of the location of the Port's main entrance/exit. While these changes impacted on vehicular/bus transportation...it did not change access for pedestrians. But you do raise another issue is that we often see folks here on CC (and elsewhere) insisting they know something...based on the past. Rather then relying on past history one should try to find out the current situation. Otherwise, somebody might actually think they can book a cruise on the Costa Concordia.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am guessing you will be on the Epic on Wednesday 28th September. I will be taking breakfast from 5.30am at the outdoor cafe and getting off after docking at 6.00am and walking to the station to catch the 7.02am train to Rome.

Nope, I´ll be there a couple of days earlier.

steamboats

You are only confused because you are living in the past :confused: Many travel-related things do change with time, and in the case of Civitavecchia there were changes due to a modification of the location of the Port's main entrance/exit. While these changes impacted on vehicular/bus transportation...it did not change access for pedestrians. But you do raise another issue is that we often see folks here on CC (and elsewhere) insisting they know something...based on the past. Rather then relying on past history one should try to find out the current situation. Otherwise, somebody might actually think they can book a cruise on the Costa Concordia.

Hank

Ouch! :eek: For you, Hank, that is a little bit harsh. ;) My confusion does indeed involve time, but I am not sure that you fully understand my point. These changes that you talk of, are well known and have been going on for at least a couple of years. My 'time' point was that we experienced these shuttles only eleven months ago, not a couple of years ago. Judging by other people's experiences, we should not have been able to take two shuttles from the fort gate eleven months ago, as all these changes had already taken place by then. Anyway, we are due to be there on Saturday, with two further visits later. I will try to find out the current situation, however, as some have pointed out, it may vary from hour to hour, depending on the time of day and the individual driver, (it is Italy, after all!).

I know that it is very frustrating when people do not seem to be understanding your point, just as it is when they do not seem to understand your question. I would suggest, however, that if a person is too frustrated to respond constructively, then probably, in the interests of all those others who may be put off asking questions on Cruise Critic in the future, it may be best just not to respond. I certainly think that sarcasm, at least, is best omitted. There are too many harsh words used on these boards, already. :cool:

The confusion stems from the fact that there ARE shuttle buses stopping at the Fort but they are not for cruise passengers, they are for the ferries. They do not go to the cruise ships, they go to the ferry station.

Nope, the shuttle going to 10 -13 has also a stop at Bramante (which is a parking lot behind the Forte) and at Molo del Bicchiere. But as far as I understand this website the stop at Molo de Bicchiere (which is also behind the Forte) is on the way back from Largo della Pace. And only between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm they do stop at Bramante. When you check this map (scroll down "Port of Civitavecchia") you see the green line for the shuttle from 10 - 13 to Largo della Pace and there are two stops on the map right above the Forte. The left one is Bramante, the right is Molo de Bicchiere.

This map shows all bus stops not differing between the cruise shuttles and the ferry shuttles.

Actually in August I looked out for the shuttle stops Bramante/Molo de Bicchiere but I didn´t see them. We entered at Varco Fortezza and walked up to basin where you see the "8" on the second map and all the way to the front of that pier on the right. I saw the ferry shuttle stop at Porta Livorno when we walked back. But then we took the staircase up to town and walked back to Largo della Pace.

steamboats