What not to forget...

My wife and I are traveling next week on our first cruise! Regent is the way to go we hear... anyways just wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to make sure you bring and dont forget. I have travel before but not like this. I have all the normal stuff, but if anyone has any secrets please share.

Thanks!

My wife and I are traveling next week on our first cruise! Regent is the way to go we hear... anyways just wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to make sure you bring and dont forget. I have travel before but not like this. I have all the normal stuff, but if anyone has any secrets please share.

Thanks!

By all the normal stuff, are you referrring to a tux or nice business suit for the formal nights. Your itinerary will dictate the clothes, if you ar egoing to the Carib, light clothes and or shorts, bathing suits. For the informal nights, take a casual suit jacket that goes with "Docker style" pants, They tend to dress on RSSC versus other ships. The best advise is to take an open mind, things go wrong and you may not get them fixed on board but everyone we dealt with helped as much a humanly possible. Don't expect the ship to keep you entertained, it is up to you to take advantage of the entertainment they have, some is good some not so good. Relax, kick back and enjoy the cruise.

Alan:cool:

Along with that sunny disposition and tux don't forget a good digital camera. Take advantage of room service, especially for breakfast - a $2 dollar tip to the delivery man will be most appreciated. Go for afternoon tea. By all means try out the specialty restaurants. If you don't care for the wine at dinner just ask for something you do enjoy. Get off the ship, go in to ports, take an excursion or two. Just be warned: you have chosen what many of us believe to be the best cruise line available. You will be pampered, well fed, and indulged - coming back to reality after a Regent cruise is a rude awakening:)

MamaQuack

If you happen to be on the Voyager take a night lite along.

You can plug it in the bathroom and don't have to blind your self at night when

you have to get up.

Actually we take one and use it on all the Regent ships. Just that Voyager is the only one with plug in in the bathroom.

Our travel agent, who books the most Regent cruises has been adamant about the no tipping policy. Mama Quack suggested giving the waiter a $2 tip when breakfast arrives, but that is entirely unnecessary. That is why RSSC cruises have a higher price tag, the tips ARE INCLUDED. So you DO NOT have to bring small bills and constantly tip those who serve you. Our agent suggests a wonderful letter written to management after your cruise recognizing those who provided something extra to make your trip special. It will benefit the staff members far more.

Cheers, Pam

PS There is also a crew fund that accepts contributions and we donate to that at the end of our cruises. Ask at reception!

If you happen to be on the Voyager take a night lite along.

You can plug it in the bathroom and don't have to blind your self at night when

you have to get up.

Actually we take one and use it on all the Regent ships. Just that Voyager is the only one with plug in in the bathroom.

I am a bit puzzled about that advice Jim B. Voyager, at least in the Horizon suite, has a dim light on the skirting board at the foot of the bed which certainly helped me on my regular bathroom excursions in the night :) . I seem to remember that Mariner had it too but am not 100% certain. And it cannot be switched off!

Perhaps the bulb had failed in your suite?

First, I also want to emphasize the fact that tipping is not required or expected -- hopefully Regent will continue paying their staff a good wage and the service will remain as excellent as it has been in the past -- without tipping.

On the other hand, tipping for shore excursions is really appreciated (and somewhat expected). Even tours booked through Regent use local tour operators.

In terms of packing, it depends upon the destination(s). We're going to the Western Carribean March 27th (on the Navigator) and have been advised to definitely pack strong mosquito repellent for any excursions we take. Sunblock would be another must for tropical areas. Also, just in case we have the type of stormy seas that have been prevalent in the Carribean this season, we'll have our "Relief Bands" and some "less drowsy" Bonine (we chew 1/3 of a pill when things get a bit bumpy -- just in case. . .)

Have a great cruise!:)

I realize I am from a part of the country where we have a problem with mosquitoes all summer long which may make me unaware or immune BUT I have been all over the Caribbean and even Tahiti and have yet to need repellent.

But you really do need the Sunblock.

Well don't be like me and forget to pack all your dress shorts when you go to Tahiti on the Paul Gauguin.

I had to buy a very ugly pair on board for about $40.00 that would have been about $5.00 at Walmart or KMart. Ended up wearing my swimtrunks for dress shorts a lot. There was 10 of us. Boy did I get harassed. That was in 2003.

Last year we all got together for a summer cocktail Party and I pulled them out and had them on for awhile. We did get a good laugh out of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim:

I remembered your incident of forgetting your dress shorts on the '03 PG Tahiti cruise. Never would have said a word, until you did!

I think "what to pack" depends on ship and itinerary. As we know, the PG and a number of other Regent cruises are "all casual", in which case dockers, loafers, sports shirts, and maybe a light sports jacket (optional) are fine for men. Even on itineraries with the usual three dress codes, I vary by location. I don't know if Regent still has formal nights in the Caribbean or not. But if they did, I'd take a suit (or maybe just sports jacket and dress slacks) and forget anything more formal. If the cruise were the Mediterranian or the Baltic, I'd take a tux. And back to the PG, take an ugly, floppy, wide brimmed hat that has a tie-on chin strap. You'll be glad you did.

And variances by ship? The PG is way short on 120V power outlets, so a power strip or an expention cord with multiple outlets is a must. Nice to have on the other ships too.

Tipping on board? Well, I've got 77 nights on Regent, and haven't tipped once. I offered a tip once for what I felt was "special service beyond duty", but it was rejected.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived