Durians!

Iluvcruising2

I don't think you will ever see a durian on a cruise ship, given its rather pungent smell and the fact that many do not like it. But it is quite a delicacy in my country.

So, here is to Durian, the King of Fruit.

[YOUTUBE]KUSU_Tdjpu4[/YOUTUBE]

PS: When Australian PM Tony Abbot visited Singapore, our Prime Minister brought him to check out some durian, heralding a new era of durian diplomacy.

qoya10.jpg

Check out this one arm Durian lift by PM Abbot. Don't underestimate the thorns. I have tried this move and it can get rather painful on the palm, if you are not careful. I can assure you that if PM Abbot throws that durian at you, don't catch.

3zb5c.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Ah, cultural differences. To a western nose, durian smells like old gym socks in a sewer. There are actually some hotels in Bangkok (and I presume, other cities in Asia) that prohibit guests from bringing durian onto the property. Recently in Vietnam I detected the specific scent of durian in many of the markets. I have learned to identify and ignore the scent.

Another example of cultural difference is the balut egg. 15 days gestation in Vietnam and 30 days in the Philippines. For the locals it's just a snack. For western sensibilities it is out of our comfort zone.

This is no right or wrong here - only cultural differences. Vive la difference!

It tasted like a sweaty mango to me but I am glad I tried it. It was not on a cruise but in a market here in the UK so possibly not very fresh.

I also tried Pidan in the same week. I love eggs and everything but wow...talk about pungent.

I think the foodie in me may try a Balut if it was in front of me even though the thought of it now makes me feel sick.

I keep meaning to import a can of Surströmming too just for the fun of it.

Edited by Velvetwater

I have tried durian, raw in the market, in cookies and cakes, and even in ice cream. I do NOT like it. Even in Singapore it is not allowed in many places.

Now, rambutan is something else. I love it.

QTPie :cool:

Edited by QTPieTrader

• 3 weeks later...

I had durian ice cream in a Japanese restaurant in the UK a few weeks ago. To me, the smell/taste was most reminiscent of out-of-date onions (when they start to go soggy and rotten). I managed to eat nearly half of it, then gave up

My sister-in-law's parents gave my parents a gift box of Durian candies and cookies one Christmas. My husband saw it sitting out on the counter. He had never heard of Durian, but living in L.A. he is used to eating all kinds of different Asian foods, so he thought nothing of casually unwrapping a candy and popping it in his mouth. Lol...omg...the look on his face! Priceless!! I still laugh whenever I think of it :p