NYC Statue Liberty reasonable timeline?

tubeamps

I've read through many of the NYC threads and couldn't find this topic so here goes:

Sailing out of Manhattan (50th St 12th Ave) on Oct 17.

We board the ship (Crystal Serenity) 10/16 and overnite in NY. We sail 10/17 and have to be back to the ship by 3pm.

My plan was to leave the port area around 9am and walk to 7th Ave, catch the subway to Battery and and have pre purchased ferry tix for 10am.

Alternate would be a cab to the Battery.

Assuming we spend an hour at the Statue, catch ferry to Ellis @ 11:30, stay there until 1pm, back at Battery by 2pm, make it to the ship by 3pm.

Does this timeline sound reasonable? or am I missing something?

BTW, its a Friday.

thanks for any advice.

Even though I live in NYC, I've only done the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island once because well...once you've seen it, you've seen it :) I went in summer and my experience was that there were very long lines for the ferries between the islands and it took quite a lot of time. In October this would be less of a problem, I would hope. But I would be prepared for that. Otherwise, your plan sounds reasonable to me.

I've read through many of the NYC threads and couldn't find this topic so here goes:

Sailing out of Manhattan (50th St 12th Ave) on Oct 17.

We board the ship (Crystal Serenity) 10/16 and overnite in NY. We sail 10/17 and have to be back to the ship by 3pm.

My plan was to leave the port area around 9am and walk to 7th Ave, catch the subway to Battery and and have pre purchased ferry tix for 10am.

Alternate would be a cab to the Battery.

Assuming we spend an hour at the Statue, catch ferry to Ellis @ 11:30, stay there until 1pm, back at Battery by 2pm, make it to the ship by 3pm.

Does this timeline sound reasonable? or am I missing something?

BTW, its a Friday.

thanks for any advice.

the cab won't save that much time except the walk to the subway. Its about $20 or so to the Battery. Take the cab there you will be less harried if you do and there is a lot of walking at the SofL and Ellis Island(IMO). The subway takes about 20 minutes and runs every 5 minutes or less. Me I would be nervous until I am back on the battery...

enjoy!

Just my opinion...

You will pass right in front of the SOL when you depart from NYC on your ship. You will have better photo opportunities from your ship then from the ferry or from the Island of the SOL.

If you plan on getting to the crown, you have to know that the Statue is facing the ocean...not Manhattan ( she is welcoming immigrants! ), so no great view of the city...and again...you will have a great view from the ship.

I have done the SOL many years ago and I have sailed 5 times from NYC, and I have served as a guide for friends, family and co-workers, and I get them on the ferry ( if it is not a pre-cruise stay ) for the SOL but we stay on the ferry...no need to "waste" ( I am using the term in it's most respectful way ) time just to get to her and climb all the way for nothing...

Again, just my opinion...you could spend the day exploring something else...

Can you get an earlier ticket time than 10am? The earlier start might help getting back to the ship on time. Some other possibilities are the Circle line (not far from the pier) that will take you around Manhattan (you will still get a better view of the SOL from your ship) or the HOHO bus.