So torn! Smuggler's or the Baths

lindsayuw

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. My husband and I (late 20s/early 30s) will be in Tortola in two weeks. On our 7 day cruise, we are only planning on doing 2 excursions and at the rest of the ports of call we'll just be relaxing on the beach. One of our excursions was going to be to Virgin Gorda to see the baths. My husband and I love a good adventure, but we also love a gorgeous beach. In my research for this trip, I haven't found a more beautiful beach than Smuggler's, so here is my dilemma, do we do Smuggler's and add another beach day to the trip, or do we make the trip over to Virgin Gorda to see the baths? Both trips will cost about the same, so price isn't too much of an issue. If anyone has been to both, I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. My husband and I (late 20s/early 30s) will be in Tortola in two weeks. On our 7 day cruise, we are only planning on doing 2 excursions and at the rest of the ports of call we'll just be relaxing on the beach. One of our excursions was going to be to Virgin Gorda to see the baths. My husband and I love a good adventure, but we also love a gorgeous beach. In my research for this trip, I haven't found a more beautiful beach than Smuggler's, so here is my dilemma, do we do Smuggler's and add another beach day to the trip, or do we make the trip over to Virgin Gorda to see the baths? Both trips will cost about the same, so price isn't too much of an issue. If anyone has been to both, I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Hi,

My hubby and I (36/33) are on the same sailing as you. This will be our third time to Tortola. On our first trip we went to VG to the Rocks. It is beautiful there and really a beach day with added scenery. I would recommend it, however we are going to Smuggler's this time because we couldn't find a trip to Jost Van Dyke that was available. On our last visit we went to Cane Garden Bay.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Yes Smuggler's Cove is beautiful and we always go there when we're staying on Tortola because we love it there. It's a very nice break from the crowds in CGB and JVD. But the Baths are one of the most unique formations in the BVI and I would take the opportunity to see them this trip. And there are very nice beaches right neat there, take a look at Savannah Bay for exampe.

There are beautiful beaches on other islands, what other islands are you visiting? If they offer nice beaches I would definitely opt for the Baths. They are a "must-do" in my opinion. Don't even think twice! ;)

Thanks for the replies so far... my husband will be happy with your suggestion blue water, as he really wants to see the baths. I'm the one that's seen all the rave reviews of Smuggler's and I just love a secluded beach.

Our other stops are Barbados, St. Thomas, Antigua and Dominica and none of them seem to have quite as secluded beaches Tortola. Maybe I just haven't come across them though!

Thanks for the replies so far... my husband will be happy with your suggestion blue water, as he really wants to see the baths. I'm the one that's seen all the rave reviews of Smuggler's and I just love a secluded beach.

Our other stops are Barbados, St. Thomas, Antigua and Dominica and none of them seem to have quite as secluded beaches Tortola. Maybe I just haven't come across them though!

The beaches of Barbados are dazzling along the west coast, there are some less traveled if you check that forum and on TA.

St Thomas, East End beaches -

Coki is a beautiful bay that we love, it's very intimate when it's not busy because it's a small bay, but it gets crowded late morning.

Lindquist is very quiet because there is not alot there (more secluded).

Sapphire is in between the two, we stayed at the Sapphire Resort and the beach, water, snorkeling, and views are great. You may want to hit Coki or Lindquist early then taxi to Sapphire. Taxi from dock to any of these beaches is $10pp, taxi from Coki to Sapphire maybe 5$pp, and taxi from Sapphire back to port $10pp.

Antigua has beautiful beaches, we like the Excellence day sail the best there but we also enjoyed an island tour with Lawrence of Antigua, you can spend time at a beach with that too.

St Thomas beaches are fine, not as nice as the BVI in my opinion but nice. Paradise Point is a great spot to end the day if you haven't been there already.

Smuggler's is worth the time but so are the Baths - I can understand your dilemma!

Wow! Blue_Water thank you SO much for all the info. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge!

Laura- looking forward to our cruise in just TWO WEEKS! I live in Wisconsin and we're getting dumped on with 7 inches of snow right now. I just keep envisioning a tropical drink and blue ocean!

Wow! Blue_Water thank you SO much for all the info. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge!

Laura- looking forward to our cruise in just TWO WEEKS! I live in Wisconsin and we're getting dumped on with 7 inches of snow right now. I just keep envisioning a tropical drink and blue ocean!

I don't envy your current weather! Its been cold and snow/raining for the last couple days here, but nothing too bad.

Seeing that you have only a handful of posts th Roll Call. You can join for our sailing http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396426 There is a meet and greet scheduled for 4 pm on the 17th if you want to meet others from CC.

Laura

I should clarify that Lindquist is between Coki and Sapphire. I meant that Sapphire is less busy than Coki but offers amenities that Lindquist doesn't, so Sapphire is a good choice on heavy ship days if you want drinks and rentals.

I say, go to the Baths. We got 3 more weeks to our cruise and from what I've seen it's both beautiful and adventure.

Wow, those are some great stops. Princess always has really good ports.

Archived