Black Pearl Jewelry & Customs

Monkeycat

Hoping to get some advice from the very knowledgeable people on this board. We're leaving on the Sept. 20th Tahiti cruise. We have visited before in the 90's and at that time purchased some very nice black pearl jewelry. I would like to bring these with me on this cruise.

My questions is, when you go through customs in LAX coming home, how do the custom agents know that you didn't purchase these items on this current trip? As it's been so long ago receipts, proof of purchase, etc. are long gone. Our cruise documents mention that you should register this type of item with US Customs prior to leaving the US. At this point, it seems a little late if this is something we should do. Have any of you found the need to do this?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Perhaps you could take a picture of it in your home. Maybe on the kitchen counter, or in the jewellery box, or somewhere else that clearly shows you had it before the cruise. Maybe even wearing it.

Shelley

Or a picture on your camera phone showing your jewelry on the daily paper to prove date.

Three things... First, it takes all of two minutes to register items with customs at the airport before you leave. Next, bring a copy of the paperwork from customs showing that you paid duty in the items when you brought them in the first time. Last, wear them in your passport photo. I didn't really think about it while having the photos taken for my renewal after we returned, and smiled when looking at the photos I realized that my pearls are readily visible. If that isn't proof, I'm not sure what is. :)

Thanks Twin and ducklite! There has been so much helpful info on this board that I never would have thought of for this upcoming cruise had it not been for all the wonderful people on this board. You guys are great!

chris:)