How many suitcases??????????????

Whirlwind

... and remember to check weight restrictions for airline if you are taking large suitcases... and size of carry on.. on a full flight one carry -on can be large (i.e. 20/22" suitcase etc.) but the other can't be or they may make you check the larger. Gotten strict in theory but saw several have to pay for being over 50 lb USAirways limit when we were in Alaska and others with 27" cases that looked like no way they'd be under 50..

We recently took 2 med. suitcase/duffel bag size luggage per person plus one carryon per person. We were way over packed but well prepared. We did see people with larger sized luggage get charged the fee for being over weight. Also, make sure one of you carryons has a change of clothes for the first night as luggage was not delivered to the rooms until after dinner.

We flew United to and from our cruise. My husband and I each had one big bag and a back pack carryon, so that we would be self sufficient moving around Independently. Our flight to anchorage was no problem. On the way home, (from Seattle) the unfriendly woman at United charged us each $25 because our bags weighed over 50 pounds. We could have each had 2 bags with a total of 98 pounds, and that would be OK. Go figure! You would also think that a tiny person should be allowed to carry on more weight- but it also doesn't work that way! So, your decision should be based on how self sufficient you need to be, VS how much you are willing to pay for an overweight bag!

I always take too much...1 suitcase each and 1 carry on each should be plenty..suitcases should go under the beds or in the back of the closet. Bring layers..I wore gloves on the day with the glacier..we were lucky and didn't have much rain (Sept 04)

I am taking I think, so far (2) large checkins. and two carryons...anyone else?
For how many people total? Our family of four is only packing 1 - 42" pullman, 2 - 22" carryons, 1 large backback for a 14-day trip to Vancouver and Alaska!

...On the way home, (from Seattle) the unfriendly woman at United charged us each $25 because our bags weighed over 50 pounds. We could have each had 2 bags with a total of 98 pounds, and that would be OK. Go figure! You would also think that a tiny person should be allowed to carry on more weight...QUOTE]

I think you might be missing the boat about the weight of your luggage (PUN INTENDED). They have a baggage limit of two checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 50 pounds. When they charged you $25 for each overweight bag, they probably put a tag on the bag that said "Heavy" to alert baggage handlers they were dealing with excessively heavy luggage. You chose to only have one checked bag and exceed the weight limit to improve your personal mobility. Well, the $25 penalty was the cost of the added mobility. Was it worth it?

The comment about tiny people being entitled to carry on more weight doesn't make much sense. Why didn't you take a second carryon bag? If a person is large and can't fit into a seat, they have to pay for a second seat on most airlines. An excuse; "I don't have any carryon luggage." won't work for them.

Les

I think you might be missing the boat about the weight of your luggage (PUN INTENDED). They have a baggage limit of two checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 50 pounds. When they charged you $25 for each overweight bag, they probably put a tag on the bag that said "Heavy" to alert baggage handlers they were dealing with excessively heavy luggage. You chose to only have one checked bag and exceed the weight limit to improve your personal mobility. Well, the $25 penalty was the cost of the added mobility. Was it worth it?The comment about tiny people being entitled to carry on more weight doesn't make much sense. Why didn't you take a second carryon bag? If a person is large and can't fit into a seat, they have to pay for a second seat on most airlines. An excuse; "I don't have any carryon luggage." won't work for them.

Les

I agree completely! The $25 penalty is to discourage passengers from packing and checking bags that too heavy for an average employee to lift--they're dangerous for everyone's backs! I would never pack any single bag that exceeds 50 lbs. simply because I would not be able to lift it AND I would not want anyone else to try either! The $25 penalty is too low IMHO.

Archived