Aust-NZ Cruise Growth??!! Data/Details!

TLCOhio

From the Sidney Morning Herald newspaper in Australia late last month, they have this headline: "Ships ahoy: record-breaking cruise season begins". It is the start of another big cruising season for Australia and New Zealand.

Here are some of their story highlights: "As daylight broke over Sydney on Monday, the Carnival Legend sailed between the Heads for the first time, signalling the start of what is expected to be a record-breaking season. The vessel is the first of at least 290 cruise ships to visit Sydney this summer, up from 119 visits five years ago. Ann Sherry, chief executive of Carnival Cruises, recalled a stagnant, 'very, very small' industry in Australia, with 'a couple of ships' and 100,000 passengers a year. In 2006, the industry sought to kill off the boozy image, cater to families and couples and, with any luck, grow to a million Australian passengers by 2020. At its rate of expansion, it is set to reach that milestone next year. The number has grown by 20 per cent a year for 11 years in a row, hitting 833,348 last year."

Full story at:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ships-ahoy-recordbreaking-cruise-season-begins-20140922-10k8rn.html

Super loved both New Zealand and Australia!! Very special parts of the world. Great sights, wonderful people, etc. My pictures and reports prove it!! My live/blog, connected below, just went over 80,000 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by and especially to those who have asked good questions, posted added info/experiences, etc. Keep it coming!! Happy to share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,096 views for this fun posting.

I'm really excited to read this. My husband is from Australia, so we visit fairly frequently. I have always wanted to go on a New Zealand cruise - we like to take the relatives on trips when we're there and they seem to enjoy it as well. I am thrilled that the Diamond and Solstice are the mass market ships du jour right now - in the past the ships seemed to mostly be older ones - although they were still nice.

I'm embarking on 1/6/15 for a very similar itinerary to yours and your terrific blog/photos are indispensable. I've no idea how you kept track of all the incredible detail you provided but very glad you did. Cheers to you and yours.

I'm embarking on 1/6/15 for a very similar itinerary to yours and your terrific blog/photos are indispensable. I've no idea how you kept track of all the incredible detail you provided but very glad you did. Cheers to you and yours.

Appreciate these above nice comments from PSahoy. Good luck on your upcoming "adventure". Happy to answer any and all questions. Just go the live/blog, post there and I will be happy to respond and share more.

Keeping track of all of this travel info, pictures??? It's fairly easy with the set-up on my MacBook Pro computer and how I have things organized. Keep it coming!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,898 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923