I'm 'sold' and want to book - now what/ where?

dcsam

I've been to F. Polynesia before (a land trip, a Renaissance cruise and 2 with Princess). Such a beautiful place, and it's time to go back. This time, we'd like to cruise with PG. Is the 50% discount plus airfare the best offers you've seen through the cruise line? I see that excursions and Internet are not included, so finding an agency that offers onboard credit would sure be helpful. Is there any way to help guide me in the right direction without breaking the rules of this forum? We'd like to cruise in May, 2015 - a 10-14 night cruise.

Thank you.

Caroline

WA state

I've been to F. Polynesia before (a land trip, a Renaissance cruise and 2 with Princess). Such a beautiful place, and it's time to go back. This time, we'd like to cruise with PG. Is the 50% discount plus airfare the best offers you've seen through the cruise line? I see that excursions and Internet are not included, so finding an agency that offers onboard credit would sure be helpful. Is there any way to help guide me in the right direction without breaking the rules of this forum? We'd like to cruise in May, 2015 - a 10-14 night cruise.

Thank you.

Caroline

WA state

Links on the PG site will connect you with a travel agency. You can call, email, or have them search for one. Most give ~$200 to $300 OBC. There's a sale right now with PG called the Fall in Love with Paradise sale offering hundreds off of select sailings. It's a good time to book if you can.

The sale I saw the other day had some great prices for early next year thru March I think it was. This was savings off the normal 50% off pricing.

Just be aware that this part of the year is considered "summer", not in the positive sense, so it will be somewhat hotter and more humid, and perhaps more prone to daily tropical downpours, although they are often brief.

Thank you for the replies. I'll check into the suggestions. This February works too, but only the 7 night itineray would work for our schedule. I've vowed not to take a 7 night cruise again. They simply go by too fast, and with all the planning,,travel and such.... It's just not worth it. Perhaps a b2b.

Thanks again!

Caroline

Thank you for the replies. I'll check into the suggestions. This February works too, but only the 7 night itineray would work for our schedule. I've vowed not to take a 7 night cruise again. They simply go by too fast, and with all the planning,,travel and such.... It's just not worth it. Perhaps a b2b.

Thanks again!

Caroline

I agree with you about the 7-night cruise, although that itinerary on the PG is very, very nice. How about adding a 3-4 night pre-cruise stay somewhere like Moorea?

The sale I saw the other day had some great prices for early next year thru March I think it was. This was savings off the normal 50% off pricing.

Show me where someone actually paid full price!!! Love the way cruise lines advertise their prices! The normal price IS 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

PG always discounts the cruise by 50% and includes air from LAX. They occasionally have discounted rates listed on their website during certain times of the year. The sale prices are for some select cruises.

Many travel agents will provide some on board credit or cash refund if you book with them. We can't list any due to this sites rules but ask on tripadvisor.

Edited by FlightMedic555

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Paul Gauguin Cruises, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I will already be in French Polynesia during the time I wish to cruise, so I do not need airfare from LAX. Is there a different discount for my situation, or do I still have to pay for "free" airfare I don't need (there is no such thing as free).

Edited by A.Emgee

Youwill get an airfare credit if you don't take PG air. Amount depends on time of year you are cruising.

This will also mean that you won't get hotel pre or post or transfers. We have taken this option a few times. Suggest you arrange a day room on the last day if you have the night flight.

Youwill get an airfare credit if you don't take PG air. Amount depends on time of year you are cruising.

This will also mean that you won't get hotel pre or post or transfers. We have taken this option a few times. Suggest you arrange a day room on the last day if you have the night flight.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Emdee. How much roughly is the credit? I am looking at the January 3-10, 2015 sailing.

Edited by A.Emgee

Is there any way to guess which 7-day sailings (Tahiti & Society Islands) will appear on the 2-week sale possibly coming soon on Black Friday? I am hoping that my desired sailing on January 3 will be included, as the brochure price is the lowest for the entire year.

Is there any way to tell which specific rooms are available online? Or does one have to contact PG or a travel agent?

Sorry for all the questions. Cruising is not new to me (Princess Elite and Royal Caribbean Diamond), but PG definitely is!

Confirmed today - The airfare credit for the January 3 sailing is $1350. There is also a 10% discount for Canadians.

Does anybody please have answers to my other two questions:

Is there any way to guess which 7-day sailings (Tahiti & Society Islands) will appear on the 2-week sale possibly coming soon on Black Friday? I am hoping that my desired sailing on January 3 will be included, as the brochure price is the lowest for the entire year.

Is there any way to tell which specific rooms are available online? Or does one have to contact PG or a travel agent?

Edited by A.Emgee

I don't think anybody could identify what, if any, cruises will be discounted for a potential Black Friday sale. If you have a cruise date in mind, or even more than one, I would have PG or your TA reserve the cruises 1 - 2 days before the Black Friday event and then, if that cruise is discounted you would already have the cruise on hold (they will hold it without any payment for a day or so) and you can get the lower rate.

I am able to see which cabins are available when I log on to my account (I am NOT an agent). I do have a current booking through an agent, and the strange thing is, when I look at my own current booking, the site almost recognizes me as an agent - therefore, I can look up availability online on any PG sailing. At this moment, the Jan. 3rd sailing you are looking at has these cabins showing open (from lowest category to highest): 413, 415, 418, 439, 626, 7006, 702, 708, 717, 722, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 761, 7003, 803, 804, 805, 808, 812, 813, 817, 818, 701. The portholes, category A and Grand Suite are sold out.

I don't think anybody could identify what, if any, cruises will be discounted for a potential Black Friday sale. If you have a cruise date in mind, or even more than one, I would have PG or your TA reserve the cruises 1 - 2 days before the Black Friday event and then, if that cruise is discounted you would already have the cruise on hold (they will hold it without any payment for a day or so) and you can get the lower rate.

From what I have found, generally in the terms and conditions of the two-week sales it clearly states "New Bookings Only". Full payment is not due for 48 hours after reservation for my close-in sailing, but I certainly wouldn't want to risk PG denying a lower price due to a booking not being "new".

After scrutinizing the Black Friday sales from the past two years (there was none in 2011), it appears that the sailings eligible for sale pricing are EXACTLY the same sailings that had appeared on the previous sale that ended a few weeks prior to Black Friday. Unfortunately, my January 3 sailing did NOT appear on the most recent October 20 - November 1 two-week sale. Therefore, I am highly skeptical that it will appear next week for Black Friday.

I am able to see which cabins are available when I log on to my account (I am NOT an agent). I do have a current booking through an agent, and the strange thing is, when I look at my own current booking, the site almost recognizes me as an agent - therefore, I can look up availability online on any PG sailing. At this moment, the Jan. 3rd sailing you are looking at has these cabins showing open (from lowest category to highest): 413, 415, 418, 439, 626, 7006, 702, 708, 717, 722, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 761, 7003, 803, 804, 805, 808, 812, 813, 817, 818, 701. The portholes, category A and Grand Suite are sold out.

Thank you azgkrudi! That is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to post this information. Is there far more availability on the January 10 sailing?

Understood that a sale may only include new bookings but this is my logic (or illogic). Pick the date you want a day in advance and hold the reservation without any deposit. You will also be able to choose a cabin to hold. If you are lucky and that date appears as part of the sale call and see if they will honor the price. If not, then look to see if cabins are available and simply book what you want and cancel the first booking. If no cabins are available cancel your booking and then quickly look to see if the cabin goes back into inventory and you can now book it.

Will it work? I don't know but it sounds logical.

Understood that a sale may only include new bookings but this is my logic (or illogic). Pick the date you want a day in advance and hold the reservation without any deposit. You will also be able to choose a cabin to hold. If you are lucky and that date appears as part of the sale call and see if they will honor the price. If not, then look to see if cabins are available and simply book what you want and cancel the first booking. If no cabins are available cancel your booking and then quickly look to see if the cabin goes back into inventory and you can now book it.

Will it work? I don't know but it sounds logical.

I am not sure if PG are sticklers about that kind of thing or not. I remember Royal Caribbean giving people trouble about what constitutes a "new" booking. They would consider cruises held, without deposit, a few days before their Tuesday sale as a previous booking and refuse to give the sale rate on the basis that one no longer qualified as a new booking! I don't know if they still do that or not. Regardless, I think it will be a moot point as unfortunately for me, the January 3 cruise is now relatively full and is unlikely to appear on the next sale! It appears that it was $600pp discounted back in August.