How long is too short? - VIDEO EDITING

pberk

This is an attempt to get a discussion going (again) about editing trip videos.

First topic: LENGTH.

How long should the video be? Here’s our Canal tour in Copenhagen back in 2009. I thought it was the right length (less than 3 min) but some editing friends complained it was too long. They said it would be better at under one minute. So I cut it – in fact I cut it to 37 seconds.

How long is too short? - What do you think?

Orig:

Cut version:

The video's I do are for family. To be shown to family mostly. I cut each video for each day. Cruise videos have been from 12mins up to 18mins. long. Way to long to show friends. So I say, there isn't really a clear line on how long or short a video should be. It all about what the people you made the video for think about it.

Hi Paul,

Good topic. I am not really sure what the real answer to that question is but as you know you will tailor the length to your audience.

Here is the thing I find about the Cruise Critic audience/members they like pictures not videos period. For example the #1 viewed photo review/trip report on the Celebrity forum has like almost a half million views but if you click on the odd video clip that has been included in their review there is barely a couple of hundred views.

What some people don't understand is how long it takes to create an edited video as opposed to sharing photos. Length I think around the 3 to 4 minute is about right. But as you know the hardest thing to do is to edit yourself down. While you might love a clip other may find it boring. I challenged myself last year to fit our 10 day Celebrity Equinox cruise into a song I had already picked out at length of just over 3 minutes. It was also my first video that I edited using Final Cut Pro X. I spent countless hours getting it to the "Final Cut". I am able to show this to friends and family and they get a quick taste of what our cruise was about. But for ourselves and our cruise partners I put together an extended version that logs in at 49 minutes which I think would be too boring for most. I have this 49 minute one posted in my Vimeo Plus account with a warning in the description that it could be boring.

I am currently in the process of writing a Photo Video Trip Report on the Celebrity forum and I am having fun with it. I have already created three very short videos for it which I think helps describe our experience. (notice I don't use the word review). My goal at the end is the same to be able create a nice short 3-4 minute overview of the 7 day cruise then a longer one just for the Cruisers.

Here is my short 2014 video that I Called: Cruise Daze - Small Moments Like These

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Paul,

Here is my short 2014 video that I Called: Cruise Daze - Small Moments Like These

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Great job Kevin. Thoughtful comments. Lots to discuss. First -- how did you get the shot at 0:39 ?

Paul

Great job Kevin. Thoughtful comments. Lots to discuss. First -- how did you get the shot at 0:39 ? Paul

Well! I am a big fan of the Port Everglades webcam and sent in a wave request with our location on Equinox. Purchased the video and borrowed 3 seconds of the wave. Did the same thing for our 2015 and will purchase video as soon as they get their commerce site back up. Our friends back home sent us this screen capture when we sailed out on March 1 of this year. The trick is to have flags. LOL! I wouldn't test you on the flags on either side of the Maple leaf.

IMG_1839%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Well! I am a big fan of the Port Everglades webcam and sent in a wave request with our location on Equinox. Purchased the video and borrowed 3 seconds of the wave. Did the same thing for our 2015 and will purchase video as soon as they get their commerce site back up. Our friends back home sent us this screen capture when we sailed out on March 1 of this year. The trick is to have flags. LOL! I wouldn't test you on the flags on either side of the Maple leaf.

IMG_1839%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Port Everglades Webcam. Very clever Kevin. That's really the shot we always lack. You had some very interesting angles using the GoPro .. I assume that's what it was .. But talking about the length -- I do agree that 3-4 min is about right for a section -- but to try to do 10 days in 3-4 min is just glossing over and doesn't really provide much of a memory later on .. One thing I noticed is you include some shots of shopping. We find it really good to zero in on what we buy -- how much it cost -- etc. In five years time you forget what you bought where. The video is terrific as a memory tool.

I liked that you showed a lot of the ship. I liked the timelapse stuff but it got a bit over-worked. I liked that YOU appeared in the video. Many others forget to put themselves in too. I liked the mood you set and the bittersweet ending -- but the titles were not really needed in a home video.

You're perfectly right that the length and nearly everything should be guided by the audience you expect to see the video. The family can stand so much more than the general audience and even the family has limits.

However, my own rule is that I do the video the way I like it. Why not please yourself because as you said it is a lot of work.

Here's a very different short piece done my way as we went shopping in Finland. The question is why more people don't use "live sound"?

kASFok1I_A0

Edited by pberk

Paul,

First I find your cut up version of 37 seconds to be to fast and takes away from the experience too much. The viewer barely gets an idea what you are trying to show.

Liked the longer version much better.

On my cruise videos we always have a group of people and therefore more 'talent' for the show, and I seem to be doing approx. 5 - 7 min of edited footage per day.

I also make my wife the unofficial editor and ask her if certain parts are too long (or too short).

You do not want to go too short as you may miss or leave out the shots that are best.

Ted

Paul,

First I find your cut up version of 37 seconds to be to fast and takes away from the experience too much. The viewer barely gets an idea what you are trying to show.

Liked the longer version much better.

On my cruise videos we always have a group of people and therefore more 'talent' for the show, and I seem to be doing approx. 5 - 7 min of edited footage per day.

I also make my wife the unofficial editor and ask her if certain parts are too long (or too short).

You do not want to go too short as you may miss or leave out the shots that are best.

Ted

I agree, Ted, about the 37 seconds being too short. But, of course, we will never determine the exact length that is best. My guide is to please myself. I'm the one doing the work. It slows the whole process down for me to show it to anyone and ask an opinion. Generally now, I don't show it until I'm pleased with it.

On the other hand, your comment about your wife being "unofficial" editor reminded me of my longest project to date - our World Cruise in 2008. I did 44 episodes. As I finished each episode I would show it to my wife. She almost always had helpful comments. Generally I'd rework the episode and then release it, via Vimeo, to shipmates we had befriended along the way. In that case, there was an audience beyond our family. Each episode was released as I finished it. It took a year and a half to complete all 44 episodes. I can't imagine anyone, even me, viewing the entire 6 1/2 hours at once. I don't think I could have ever have done it except I knew an audience of our World Cruise friends was waiting for each new episode. It really motivated me as I kept seeing things through their eyes. I know it's too long -- but it worked for those of us who made the journey.

I think your estimate of 5-7 min per day is a good one for immediate family or friends who made the journey.

If you have the time, here's an episode (World Cruise #29) that covers a few days of the World Cruise. You'll notice, if you see it all, that at the end I included a "teaser" for the next episode to come.

Hi Paul

I reckon you can only make the video you want, and not worry about view numbers or comments. Mine are made purely as a record for myself and family, and if others love, hate or are indifferent about them, all 3 reactions are fine by me.

I tend to give each topic/sight/attraction its own video simply because it's easier to reference in future, and stops me making them too long. The only thing I try and bear in mind is that if nothing changes in a scene after 6 seconds, end it. All the best, Tony

(BTW I love your vids, long or short).

Hi Paul

I reckon you can only make the video you want, and not worry about view numbers or comments. Mine are made purely as a record for myself and family, and if others love, hate or are indifferent about them, all 3 reactions are fine by me.

I tend to give each topic/sight/attraction its own video simply because it's easier to reference in future, and stops me making them too long. The only thing I try and bear in mind is that if nothing changes in a scene after 6 seconds, end it. All the best, Tony

(BTW I love your vids, long or short).

Tony … Your whale watch video is impressive. What a great day. I’ve yet to be on a whale watch that good. You captured it very well too.

I love the use of the live sound – but --- it does carry with it the problem of smoothing the sound over between cuts. Using music to cover might have helped. I’m guessing you skipped the music because it adds to the labor of editing – as well as the fact that YouTube flags (but does not normally delete) the video when the music is copyrighted. Finding and using music that won’t bother YouTube is possible but also adds to the labor.

Your method, I am guessing, is to string together the best shots that tell the story of the activity without much concern for how the sound cuts together. At least in the Alaska whale watching video. BTW limiting the video by activity and not by day is a good idea too -- as well as the idea of limiting shots to 6 seconds! I agree on the 6 seconds if the story doesn't suffer.

But let’s talk sound. Does your editor allow you to cross fade or overlap the sound while doing a straight cut on the picture? Wouldn’t that have helped smooth out the sound?

I just put together a small piece that shows three ways to do the sound. It runs less than 2 minutes.

[YOUTUBE]bvUDBIsy8uk[/YOUTUBE]

I love the use of the live sound – but --- it does carry with it the problem of smoothing the sound over between cuts. Using music to cover might have helped. I’m guessing you skipped the music because it adds to the labor of editing – as well as the fact that YouTube flags (but does not normally delete) the video when the music is copyrighted. Finding and using music that won’t bother YouTube is possible but also adds to the labor.

Your method, I am guessing, is to string together the best shots that tell the story of the activity without much concern for how the sound cuts together. At least in the Alaska whale watching video. BTW limiting the video by activity and not by day is a good idea too -- as well as the idea of limiting shots to 6 seconds! I agree on the 6 seconds if the story doesn't suffer.

But let’s talk sound. Does your editor allow you to cross fade or overlap the sound while doing a straight cut on the picture? Wouldn’t that have helped smooth out the sound?

Hi Paul

Terrific tips, nice little vid to illustrate sound smoothing. My editor certainly allows me to cross fade and overlap sound but as you allude to (and will know only too well) - time is a limiter. I sometime do that, or move audio around, especially if there is some speech under the footage which is irrelevant or nonsensical but basically I'm just a cut'n' trim merchant. I do try and choose lengthy bits of live sound when I can, and let it play under 2-3 different consecutive scenes. Sometimes I just let the camera run, pointing at the floor to get a good chunk of live sound but this all takes up space on the hard disk and can use up battery life. (Yes, I could carry more batteries I suppose :). It's really a time issue. Most cruises see me bring home about 5 hours of footage, which takes some sorting out - then there's the factual research, plus I make vids of my home town (St Ives) for the local tourism association - I have not had a time when there is nothing to process for over 4 years.

A 10 - 14 day cruise may 'require' 15-20 videos, which makes finding music very time-consuming too. I have (at a guess) around 150 vids with 'Matched third party content' on them. The majority play everywhere (except a few that are blocked in Germany). So far I have avoided any YT 'strikes' but have no idea what music will cause them. I was particularly bemused to get a MTPC on a vid I made of Remembrance Sunday in St Ives - due to the bugler playing "The Last Post' :( Gimme a break !

I know I could use Vimeo but it's too late for that now - all the source files are deleted once the final version is rendered, but in any case there is always a new video to make without having to go back and re-edit old ones !

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Hi Paul

Terrific tips, nice little vid to illustrate sound smoothing. My editor certainly allows me to cross fade and overlap sound but as you allude to (and will know only too well) - time is a limiter. I sometime do that, or move audio around, especially if there is some speech under the footage which is irrelevant or nonsensical but basically I'm just a cut'n' trim merchant. I do try and choose lengthy bits of live sound when I can, and let it play under 2-3 different consecutive scenes. Sometimes I just let the camera run, pointing at the floor to get a good chunk of live sound but this all takes up space on the hard disk and can use up battery life. (Yes, I could carry more batteries I suppose :). It's really a time issue. Most cruises see me bring home about 5 hours of footage, which takes some sorting out - then there's the factual research, plus I make vids of my home town (St Ives) for the local tourism association - I have not had a time when there is nothing to process for over 4 years.

A 10 - 14 day cruise may 'require' 15-20 videos, which makes finding music very time-consuming too. I have (at a guess) around 150 vids with 'Matched third party content' on them. The majority play everywhere (except a few that are blocked in Germany). So far I have avoided any YT 'strikes' but have no idea what music will cause them. I was particularly bemused to get a MTPC on a vid I made of Remembrance Sunday in St Ives - due to the bugler playing "The Last Post' :( Gimme a break !

I know I could use Vimeo but it's too late for that now - all the source files are deleted once the final version is rendered, but in any case there is always a new video to make without having to go back and re-edit old ones !

I hear you Tony. All points are well taken about the time consuming post production and the uncertainy of YouTube's MTPC. So I fully understand the need to keep things simple all round or the video work would be never ending. -- which is far worse.

Your point about getting some "live sound" to cover by just letting the camera roll is also very astute. Also about letting the same sound clip extend under 2 or 3 shots. That's exactly what I did in the example video to smooth things. Brilliant. Most of the time I carry a little recorder with me called a Zoom H1. $99 US. It can record 18 hours of mp3 with a nice quality and will "sync" to all video cameras. I sometimes plant this recorder on my wife (she's a good sport) with a lavalier mic for really close up sound that would otherwise be impossible.

I saw your Alaska White Pass Summit piece. Nicely researched and executed. I find making the videos really is a great way to deepen your knowledge about where in the world you have been! I would forget all that stuff if it wasn't in the my video. When I look at a video years later -- I remember. Or I tend to remember best the stuff I put in the video.

At the risk of wearing you out, here's a 2 min clip showing the use of Lav mic and H1 recorder.

DPMlJ5Ab5gg

Most of the time I carry a little recorder with me called a Zoom H1. $99 US. It can record 18 hours of mp3 with a nice quality and will "sync" to all video cameras. I sometimes plant this recorder on my wife (she's a good sport) with a lavalier mic for really close up sound that would otherwise be impossible.

I saw your Alaska White Pass Summit piece. Nicely researched and executed. I find making the videos really is a great way to deepen your knowledge about where in the world you have been! I would forget all that stuff if it wasn't in the my video. When I look at a video years later -- I remember. Or I tend to remember best the stuff I put in the video.

At the risk of wearing you out, here's a 2 min clip showing the use of Lav mic and H1 recorder.

You'll never 'wear me out' Paul - I enjoy all your tips. That mic and recorder is excellent - Amy coming over loud and clear ! Much, much better than the camcorder mic. If I had someone in my family who would do that for me I'd get one.

I think that the best part of these holiday films is the way it allows us to recall past (good) times. Especially on cruises, where we see so much so quickly, it is so easy for the memories to blur or even fade. And I totally agree that it makes us learn about the world, and want to know more. How lucky we all are to have the health and resources to go on these adventures. Long may it continue.

You'll never 'wear me out' Paul - I enjoy all your tips. That mic and recorder is excellent - Amy coming over loud and clear ! Much, much better than the camcorder mic. If I had someone in my family who would do that for me I'd get one.

I think that the best part of these holiday films is the way it allows us to recall past (good) times. Especially on cruises, where we see so much so quickly, it is so easy for the memories to blur or even fade. And I totally agree that it makes us learn about the world, and want to know more. How lucky we all are to have the health and resources to go on these adventures. Long may it continue.

One huge advantage over times gone by is that you can now load your videos for viewing on your television. When a cruise video is complete, I upload to my TIVO -- but you could use a USB drive in almost the same way. What ever the method, access to the video can be faster than ever. Our videos do not get filed away and never seen again. We watch our trip videos much more because they are so easily accessed. Often as we talk about a past trip, we refer back to the videos to get the story straight.

But back to technique. I do use narration but that takes time -- so more recently I've tried to narrate things as we go along. Even if you don't wind up using the on scene narration, it saves time later as you already have the information needed to create the narration track.

I saw your Honfluer video. It interested me as we've been there too. I always like to see what others have done with similar tours. We were with a group. Looks like you did well on your own. Your version had lots of information at 2 min. You win there. Mine runs 4 min and probably has less information. That brings us back to how long is too short?

LPJuD_C4yVs

Paul

Very nice job on the edit job on WC29. What I liked a lot was your way of narrating and showing the things you were talking about at the same time.

Very clever edits.

Hope to be able to do a WC at some point once I retire.

I agree, Ted, about the 37 seconds being too short. But, of course, we will never determine the exact length that is best. My guide is to please myself. I'm the one doing the work. It slows the whole process down for me to show it to anyone and ask an opinion. Generally now, I don't show it until I'm pleased with it.

On the other hand, your comment about your wife being "unofficial" editor reminded me of my longest project to date - our World Cruise in 2008. I did 44 episodes. As I finished each episode I would show it to my wife. She almost always had helpful comments. Generally I'd rework the episode and then release it, via Vimeo, to shipmates we had befriended along the way. In that case, there was an audience beyond our family. Each episode was released as I finished it. It took a year and a half to complete all 44 episodes. I can't imagine anyone, even me, viewing the entire 6 1/2 hours at once. I don't think I could have ever have done it except I knew an audience of our World Cruise friends was waiting for each new episode. It really motivated me as I kept seeing things through their eyes. I know it's too long -- but it worked for those of us who made the journey.

I think your estimate of 5-7 min per day is a good one for immediate family or friends who made the journey.

If you have the time, here's an episode (World Cruise #29) that covers a few days of the World Cruise. You'll notice, if you see it all, that at the end I included a "teaser" for the next episode to come.

Paul

Very nice job on the edit job on WC29. What I liked a lot was your way of narrating and showing the things you were talking about at the same time.

Very clever edits.

Hope to be able to do a WC at some point once I retire.

Thanks for the nice comments. I recommend all three things you mentioned. Narration. World Cruising. And retirement.

I think most of us do our travel videos for us and family and not for the hits on Youtube or Vimeo. Youtube and Vimeo are just a convenient way of sharing to distant family and friends. Last year I purchased a Vimeo Plus account so I would not have annoying popups ads on YouTube. With my short travel videos I like to use my son's original music he creates either in Garage Band or Logic Pro. I have tried it but I have not talent for creating original music. Get this... Last year I did a 6+ minute zip line video and used two of Nolan's original songs and shared it on YouTube. I then get a e-mail from YouTube claiming that Nolan's second song was copyrighted material. What a bunch of crap... I appealed but to no avail. I can't see how someone could claim copyright when Nolan used readily available loops from Garage Band. Anyway I gave up and posted it over on my Vimeo account. I would delete it from YouTube if I didn't already have it embedded in the Trip Report over on the Celebrity Forum.

Now Back to Video length. I just finished my 2015 version of our Sky Safari Zip Line Video. My 2014 version (subject video above) at the time I was quite happy with the product and its length was 6 minutes 27 seconds. Which was one of the first videos I edited on iMove and a Mac. A few years prior to this I was a Windows user and Liked Pinnacle Studio. Shortly after getting my feet wet with iMovie I finally tried my hand with Final Cut Pro X which I had purchased almost two years prior but had shy'd away from trying. Linda.com had an excellent Video Tutorial that I took online. So for 2015 we did the same excursion in St Kitts but this time we had our two adult sons with us. As part of my Photo Video Trip Report(over @ Celebrity forum) I wanted to include a 2015 Zip Line version. My Goal was to keep the video under three minutes I think I did not too bad in that department at 3 minutes 40 seconds. For this type of travel video I think that music is the only audio choice. My son, Nolan, had no music available for me so I picked what I think is an appropriate piece. Sure I am almost 55 but I love that "techno" music some our age and older hate. It took me about half of yesterday and half of today to edit it. A tremendous amount of time for 3 minutes. LOL! My two sons loved it so thats all that matters. Right? My style right now I like to use time lapse and I only use a cross dissolve transition when warranted in my videos. I had the video almost finished without titles until I found it hard to identify the start and stop from one run to the next. Normally I overlay the titles on the video clip but this time I tried a second and half black background for the titles.

2014 Version weighing in at hefty 6:27

2015 Version weighing in at lighter 3:40

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I think most of us do our travel videos for us and family and not for the hits on Youtube or Vimeo. Youtube and Vimeo are just a convenient way of sharing to distant family and friends. Last year I purchased a Vimeo Plus account so I would not have annoying popups ads on YouTube. With my short travel videos I like to use my son's original music he creates either in Garage Band or Logic Pro. I have tried it but I have not talent for creating original music. Get this... Last year I did a 6+ minute zip line video and used two of Nolan's original songs and shared it on YouTube. I then get a e-mail from YouTube claiming that Nolan's second song was copyrighted material. What a bunch of crap... I appealed but to no avail. I can't see how someone could claim copyright when Nolan used readily available loops from Garage Band. Anyway I gave up and posted it over on my Vimeo account. I would delete it from YouTube if I didn't already have it embedded in the Trip Report over on the Celebrity Forum.

Now Back to Video length. I just finished my 2015 version of our Sky Safari Zip Line Video. My 2014 version (subject video above) at the time I was quite happy with the product and its length was 6 minutes 27 seconds. Which was one of the first videos I edited on iMove and a Mac. A few years prior to this I was a Windows user and Liked Pinnacle Studio. Shortly after getting my feet wet with iMovie I finally tried my hand with Final Cut Pro X which I had purchased almost two years prior but had shy'd away from trying. Linda.com had an excellent Video Tutorial that I took online. So for 2015 we did the same excursion in St Kitts but this time we had our two adult sons with us. As part of my Photo Video Trip Report(over @ Celebrity forum) I wanted to include a 2015 Zip Line version. My Goal was to keep the video under three minutes I think I did not too bad in that department at 3 minutes 40 seconds. For this type of travel video I think that music is the only audio choice. My son, Nolan, had no music available for me so I picked what I think is an appropriate piece. Sure I am almost 55 but I love that "techno" music some our age and older hate. It took me about half of yesterday and half of today to edit it. A tremendous amount of time for 3 minutes. LOL! My two sons loved it so thats all that matters. Right? My style right now I like to use time lapse and I only use a cross dissolve transition when warranted in my videos. I had the video almost finished without titles until I found it hard to identify the start and stop from one run to the next. Normally I overlay the titles on the video clip but this time I tried a second and half black background for the titles.

2014 Version weighing in at hefty 6:27

2015 Version weighing in at lighter 3:40

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin .. I agree completely that hits on YouTube or Vimeo are not the point. Sharing with family and friends is the point. It's especially nice to share with people you cruised with.

And .. yes YouTube can be annoying with the flags for Third Party content. But YouTube is still the best, all things considered. I just try to avoid using anything that's going to get the video removed. My Zipline Video is not flagged. I used local music and, so far, so good. Your story about your son's music is classic. It shows you that Google is not perfect.

Final Cut is, of course, excellent. I use Sony Vegas Pro on my PC. Very happy with it.

I think all the GoPro footage and time lapse stuff is terrific. I don't own a GoPro yet. It's amazing what they can do.

I like the titles in black. But I think your font was too large.

Seeing both versions of the Zipline, I do think the 6 min version runs long. Perhaps that's because I see how you got it down to under 4 min. But going back to the first point on which we agree, the video is for family and friends. Is 6 min too long for them? That's the acid test. My wife often thinks my videos are TOO SHORT! .. She might be the only one to think that -- but hey -- she's the most important audience to me. And I have to say she does love to play our trip videos. I load them on her TIVO and she plays them when something sparks her memory -- especially when we can't agree on a memory of one of our trips.

Where you and I disagree is the bit about ".. For this type of travel video I think that music is the only audio choice. " .. I like the use of live sound as you did in your 6 min version. I agree that music only is easier to do -- but I like the use of narration and live sound. I believe you can tell the story better that way and remember much more. The constant use of titles over the image to convey things is tiring to me. I rather have some narration or live sound to break things up.

Anyway ... here's my Zipline adventure from our 2008 World Cruise videos.

Barbados .. 5 min.

tV8U98CfAbc

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic!

I haven't done a video in a long time....my earlier videos were not good at all.....but I have developed some opinions/guidelines that I now follow:

1.) Video length for a 7 night cruise should be about 3 minutes or the length of one song.

2.) Pick a song or theme before you start filming.

3.) Just as important as the length of the video is the length of clips in the video. I try to keep most clips 4-6 seconds.

Cruise video pet peeve: Long title/intros and video footage of flights, limos, and hotels prior to the cruise.

Here is one that I did that fits this criteria:

Edited by BMJJR

• 1 month later...

Following the original question of how long should a video be.....?

With a cruise group that had many things going on, many excursions together etc...... I find a seven night cruise video for that group can be 30 minutes long. But, the length of a video scene has to be kept short ( under 10 seconds) unless it's necessary for an action scene.

It's been awhile since I did a cruise video. These days I have been making videos of land tours in Europe. Much more interesting scenes to film in Europe than on a ship or the same old Caribbean Islands that we visited over and over and over.

Bottom line..... it's your target audience that matters most. People who were not involved or there have little interest in watching your videos. IMO.:)

these guys make the video interesting with personal anecdotes and some recurring themes that keep you interested....so i dont think it is length as trying to keep viewer interested in what you are doing....humor helps a lot...anyway here is the playlist...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEE-VTjUFTXeq1WIOuZjSo7FYJ8DV7PoA

these guys make the video interesting with personal anecdotes and some recurring themes that keep you interested....so i dont think it is length as trying to keep viewer interested in what you are doing....humor helps a lot...anyway here is the playlist...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEE-VTjUFTXeq1WIOuZjSo7FYJ8DV7PoA

Agreed! I spent a whole evening watching their 21 episodes. "Where are we?"

Regards,

Kevin Reid

These comments, be warned, stray from giving a direct answer to the Length question. But a meaningful answer needs context, so be patient, please. FIRST, there are several core concepts that you need to ponder and nail down, as you try to give life to any travel vids. Number one is how involved are you going to let your heart become, in the project? The easiest plan, and the most apparently (to your viewers) disinterested, is to string together a sequence of slides which your clever camera recorded in moving clips, rather than stills. "We saw this, then we saw this, then we saw...." I think stills do this better than videos, because a those viewers are more interested in information than the experience itself. Axiomatic from this most common tagalong format is this, that the involvement/enjoyment your friends & family will allow themselves, is directly proportionate to YOUR OWN obvious involvement as the video rolls along. Are you ever visible? Is your voice there? Any emotion in your sound bytes? It begins to seem like telling a story, the more you process the videomaking notion.

Which is exactly what the video should be about, IMO. It wants thoughtful minutes before taking the shots, and thoughtful hours after you've returned. The analogy of reading to your kids or grandkids comes to mind. It isn't that the story on those pages is all that gripping, nor that you are a sensational reader. It's because you are there with them and you've established that you love them, and they love you back. Put that element into your video, and length becomes secondary.

Does any of this connect? I don't enjoy rants and wd hate to have written one. At any rate the topic is something I'm passionate about and have given much thought to over the years. Could go on if it'd help, but...?

These comments, be warned, stray from giving a direct answer to the Length question. But a meaningful answer needs context, so be patient, please. FIRST, there are several core concepts that you need to ponder and nail down, as you try to give life to any travel vids. Number one is how involved are you going to let your heart become, in the project? The easiest plan, and the most apparently (to your viewers) disinterested, is to string together a sequence of slides which your clever camera recorded in moving clips, rather than stills. "We saw this, then we saw this, then we saw...." I think stills do this better than videos, because a those viewers are more interested in information than the experience itself. Axiomatic from this most common tagalong format is this, that the involvement/enjoyment your friends & family will allow themselves, is directly proportionate to YOUR OWN obvious involvement as the video rolls along. Are you ever visible? Is your voice there? Any emotion in your sound bytes? It begins to seem like telling a story, the more you process the videomaking notion.

Which is exactly what the video should be about, IMO. It wants thoughtful minutes before taking the shots, and thoughtful hours after you've returned. The analogy of reading to your kids or grandkids comes to mind. It isn't that the story on those pages is all that gripping, nor that you are a sensational reader. It's because you are there with them and you've established that you love them, and they love you back. Put that element into your video, and length becomes secondary.

Does any of this connect? I don't enjoy rants and wd hate to have written one. At any rate the topic is something I'm passionate about and have given much thought to over the years. Could go on if it'd help, but...?

Really thoughtful post. Thanks. But I don't know -- I think some times viewers are interested in the "experience" and not so much in the information. Most of us want to "share" the experience -- capture it. That's why we take pictures to remember it -- re-live the experience. The viewer certainly wants to know what it felt like too not just the facts. It's one thing to say it was really fast or really high up and another to see it -- feel it. But speaking of facts, what's great about doing the "trip" videos is that very often you get so much more of the information in the process of making the video. Fact checking. Much of what I learn and remember about where I've been comes from making the video. Here's a video where I did try to put the viewer in the "experience" as well as putting my fellow travelers "on camera" ..

...viewers are interested in the "experience" and not so much in the information.... Much...comes from making the video.

Nicely done, illustrates much of what storytelling should embrace. Actual faces and words, genuine reactions to events, responses to the happenings as they unfold. People doing natural, un-posed stuff. Ambient sounds that fit the drama. Imaginative variety of angles/viewpoints. It shows thoughtful but also spontaneous involvement of the storyteller with the real events. It drew me in, for which thanks.