Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Outside of the Pavilion Hall is the Council Staircase , room # 206 on our map . And now , we are in in Large Hermitage . In one direction is the Italian art and in the other direction , the Rembrandt room #254 , seen across the way .

IMG_9554_zpsmmclz7h4.jpg

While art is highly subjective , Rembrandt through his contrast of light and darkness , subject matter and technique , remains one of my favorites . The Hermitage has 20 of his paintings .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandt

Like many artists , he used self , friends and family as models . The is his young wife , Saskia , as the Roman goddess of flowers and sex , Flora .

Europe200920165_zpsahfuiaj7.jpg

He also used her and self in The prodigal son in the Tavern painting - which is not found in the Hermitage .

Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139_zpsro2rtbok.jpg

"Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn 139" by Rembrandt - http://www.mcah.columbia.edu*: Home*: [1]. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139.jpg#/media/File:Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139.jpg

There is a lot of glare in the gallery so I reduced the photo sizes of some of the pictures .

The old man in red

Europe200920173_zpsjsob1guk.jpg

Portrait of an old Jew

Europe200920176_zpsjnkggngj.jpg

Young woman trying on earings

640a16c0-ad7e-43ce-ab2e-68840c7e990a_zpscnym7w79.jpg

Rembrandt's Abraham and Issac 1634 , from the Bible story .

Europe200920180_zpsonvkcmpk.jpg

Danae 1636

Europe200920163-001_zpstkir2eat.jpg

This is the painting that was attacked , by a man with a knife and acid in the account that follows from wikipedia :

On June 15, 1985 Rembrandt's painting was attacked by a man, a Soviet national later judged insane; he threw sulfuric acid on the canvas and cut it twice with his knife.[2] The entire central part of the composition was turned into a mixture of spots with a conglomerate of splashes and areas of dripping paint. The worst damage was to the face and hair of Danaë, her right arm, and legs.[2]

The process of restoring the painting began the same day. Following consultations with chemists, art restorers began washing the surface of the painting with water; they kept the painting in the vertical position, and sprayed water at the painting to prevent further degradation of the painting.

The restoration of the painting was accomplished between 1985 and 1997 by staff of the State Hermitage's Laboratory of Expert Restoration of Easel Paintings: Ye. N. Gerasimov (group leader), A. G. Rakhman, and G. A. Shirokov, with the participation of T. P. Alioshina in matters of scientific methodology.

And finally , Rembrandt's last great painting The return of the Prodigal Son 1669

IMG_9559_zps2larcvvi.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_(Rembrandt)

It is a renowned work described by art historian Kenneth Clark as "a picture which those who have seen the original in Leningrad may be forgiven for claiming as the greatest picture ever painted".[2]

The quote above and the following photo are from wikipedia :

800px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project_zpscrnmaj1u.jpg

It truly is amazing that some of these galleries have so much of the one (and nearly every) artist on display. Phenomenal.:D

It really is a great museum .

We also saw renovations of paintings in a church in Tallinn. They had recently been passed back by the Germans to Russia, but the renovation experts were in Tallinn.

It seems to us that all of Europe is blessed with so many talented artists . There seems to be a greater emphasis and appreciation for art and the arts there . :) :D

After leaving the rather stark Rembrandt gallery , we entered the more elaborate Italian art rooms .

The Proto - Renaissance

IMG_9566_zpsjm4m3mml.jpg

Looking down the hall

IMG_9568_zpscd6lzclf.jpg

Room 208

IMG_9573_zpsqqctuwdk.jpg

Next we encountered 2 stunning tables .

IMG_9576_zpsmg92zvmr.jpg

IMG_9575_zpssxxsgghv.jpg

Preparing to enter room 214 - The Leonardo da Vinci Hall

IMG_9580_zpswxtagh4z.jpg

It's hard to capture the full grandeur of room 214 without using overlapping photos . While it causes distortion , it reveals more of the room .

IMG_960620Stitch-001_zps4m13zklp.jpg

Another overlapping stitch .

IMG_9615_zps7rfqiexb.jpg

The room features 2 paintings from the true renaissance genius , Leonardo da Vinci .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

The first is the Benois Madonna - 1478 .

IMG_9585_zpsqcbo8ith.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benois_Madonna

As you can see , I took some liberty with reframing the closeup .

IMG_9587_zpsnqqjwm1k.jpg

The next is the Madonna Litta - 1490 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Litta

It was nice to hear it's story from a passing guide .

IMG_9601_zpsugiswz03.jpg

The Madonna Litta with a modern frame .

8f443b2c-c5d6-4da4-9f69-f86f033d5ced_zps7280tekm.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

And hopefully Pat is well enough to celebrate.

Thank you Jackie , yes she is and most of the family turned up for the holiday also . Pat is walking mostly unaided and with a cane sometimes . Her wound is filling in quite nicely and she has been reducing her pain medicine incrementally . So we really do have a lot to be thankful for ! :) :D

The doors in the Leonardo room are works of art themselves .

IMG_9604_zpsrune58fq.jpg

The doors are decorated in the Boulle fashion , and made of tortise shell and gilded brass .

IMG_9603_zps9yfekqr4.jpg

In the next room was another , ahem ! , interesting painting

IMG_9621_zpsaxuk0vmu.jpg

Skipping around to room # 230 is the Cabinet room .

Europe200920146_zpssw7evyda.jpg

In this room is the work Crouching Boy . It's the only work by the amazing Renaissance artist - Michelangelo .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo

Europe200920147_zpsol9phkgm.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

There is a very long hall in the New Hermitage , room # 226 , also called the Raphael Loggias .

IMG_9643_zps1an10vyl.jpg

"It was commissioned by Empress Catherine II ( the Great ) in the late 1780s, the Raphael Loggias are the exact copy of the Gallery in the Papal Palace in Vatican City. The frescoes of the open loggias of the Papal Palace were painted after Raphael’s sketches. Their copies made in Italy by a group of artists under the supervision of Christopher Unterberger, took their place in the gallery of a separate building erected by Giacomo Quarenghi. The Loggias vaults are decorated with scenes from biblical stories, the walls are covered with paintings with ornamentation motifs, known as “grotesques” " .

quote from the Hermitage web page

IMG_9635_zpsqsgk6krv.jpg

It has also been called " Rapheal's Bible " for the biblical paintings incorporated on the ceiling .

IMG_9630_zpsjfvwspc1.jpg

IMG_9641_zpsqvsrtf4l.jpg

And check out the floors , amazing !

IMG_9637_zpsuhu3uhae.jpg

Thank you Jackie , yes she is and most of the family turned up for the holiday also . Pat is walking mostly unaided and with a cane sometimes . Her wound is filling in quite nicely and she has been reducing her pain medicine incrementally . So we really do have a lot to be thankful for ! :) :D

Great news, I am glad that Pat is on the mend and you all had a lovely day.:D

We hope that everyone has a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving .

thankgiving_zpsgcmkf3rd.jpg

Pat and Joe :D :)

Thank you. We had a wonderful day. Glad you and Pat were able to spend your day surrounded by family, and that Pat was feeling well enough to enjoy the day. Truly a lot to be thankful for.

Thank you. We had a wonderful day. Glad you and Pat were able to spend your day surrounded by family, and that Pat was feeling well enough to enjoy the day. Truly a lot to be thankful for.

I think I certainly do have a blessed life and have a lot to be thankful for.

Amen Nancy !

I think I certainly do have a blessed life and have a lot to be thankful for.

Pat and I agree as well Mic and Rosie . We were disappointed that we couldn't meet you and Rosie in person , on our cruise . But after almost losing Patty , it gives a new reference point of what's really important . Thus , we are really thankful for Pat's healing and some of the small things that we all take for granted which she had lost during that process . Simple things like a drink of water , certain foods and the ability to walk and use the toilet properly are things which she lost ( hopefully temporarily ) . So , we are really thankful for the return of some of these and look forward to the restoration of the others , at a future date , and a return to cruising . :) :D

Welcome back and how was your cruise ? We heard that there are 15 restaurants on the Aria , WOW !!

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Pat and I agree as well Mic and Rosie . We were disappointed that we couldn't meet you and Rosie in person , on our cruise . But after almost losing Patty , it gives a new reference point of what's really important . Thus , we are really thankful for Pat's healing and some of the small things that we all take for granted which she had lost during that process . Simple things like a drink of water , certain foods and the ability to walk and use the toilet properly are things which she lost ( hopefully temporarily ) . So , we are really thankful for the return of some of these and look forward to the restoration of the others , at a future date , and a return to cruising . :) :D

Welcome back and how was your cruise ? We heard that there are 15 restaurants on the Aria , WOW !!

Yes, Rosie has had some issues as well which always make you think and be grateful for what you have.

The cruise was great, albeit just a very short one. The harbour party, which was the main reason for doing this cruise was awesome with all five P&O Australia Ships there at once. The Aria only has the MDR and three specialty restaurants (Asian, Italian and a fancy upmarket one called Salt Grill - Luke Mangen who is a celebrity chef https://www.lukemangan.com/) as well as the Pantry (Buffet but always served to the passengers)http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/cruises/first-look-pampos-new-ships-pacific-aria-and-pacific-eden-spell-the-end-of-the-traditional-cruise-ship-buffet/news-story/cd7cd22d7efaccdd90553212a554b974.

Being the inaugural cruise there were some teething problems, due to new staff etc., but overall it was fantastic to get away and do a short cruise.:D

Mic, your Aria cruise sounds like it was a lot of fun! I would have loved to see the 5 P&O ships all together. A getaway cruise is always a good idea in my book!

Pat, hang in there with your rehab. It WILL get better. From what I've been reading here, it sounds like you have come a long way already!

I will probably be disappearing for a bit this week because I will be getting both knees replaced on Wednesday. After a whole lot of years of just getting by on them, I am relieved to be finally getting them done, but the process is still a bit scary. Hopefully, the surgery will go well and I will be home and starting on rehab soon after. I will be looking forward to seeing more of Russia when I get back.