Recommendations for eating in Venice

AudacesJuvat

I would like to have some recommendations for dining in Venice. While I will obviously check the usual reviews and guides, I would particularly appreciate advice regarding places featuring dishes other than shellfish. My Lovely-Partner-In-Crime has a shellfish allergy, and I simply don't care for it. Guidance on this would be appreciated.

I might get flamed for this post, but based on the time we have spent in Venice (many port days and several extended hotel stays) we cannot recommend any restaurant! And now for the reason. There are a few famous places (like Harry's) that are popular with tourists, but the truth is they are almost always tourist traps, overpriced, and do not have the quality to match the stratospheric prices. But there are also some less known good (not excellent) restaurants which sometimes rise to the occasion. But Chefs and owners come and go (sometimes much too fast) and a place that we loved last year could be awful or gone this year.

So when we stay in Venice we rely on the locals to get the latest "scoop." The owner and staff in our hotel usually has some good tips based on very recent info. But this does not work for cruisers (unless they are staying in a hotel pre or post cruise) so one must often rely on the internet. There are some sites (i.e. Yelp, Tripadvisor, etc) where restaurant reviews are routinely posted and like to read as many recent reviews as possible. You can often detect a few good places based on reviews (we do not like web site "ratings" which are often mysterious). And finally, use your instincts. If you walk by a highly recommended restaurant and its empty there is often a good reason. And if you pass a restaurant that is full of Italians/locals that is also a hint that it might be good.

Our best luck with decent restaurants have been places that specialize in seafood and even display fresh fish.

Hank

What does one look for and desire when a tourist?

For the best local foods, I would be very careful of any large web sites to be used with great caution as most recently my local vendors were pushing it so hard they even handed out business cards with their names to insure to recommend them on tripadvisor, FWIW we had fun and did recommend them :rolleyes:

For better or worse we go many places to see the sites and get the "tourist" experience. When in venice we ate a tourist trap outdoor cafe right on the grand canal as gondolas floated next to us. Food was a B, price was :eek:, experience was priceless, we'd do it again in a heartbeat! That might be the experience you want, or maybe its seeking the whole in the wall with mom's local cooking. We did wander the back alleys and saw many other places some full, some not so much, I'm skeptical when people say "locals" are there really an "locals" in Venice? On our first day we did stop at a random back alleyway pizza/gelato place, guess what most guest were tourists... YMMV.

Enjoy Venice!

I agree with Hank. Venice has slowly turned into one big Disneyland over the last couple of years, with less than mediocre food, ridiculous prices and lousy service. We have been to Venice several times in the last 20 years, also on multiple day land-trips, and have seen the fleece-the-tourist-scheme get totally out of hand. If you are staying in a hotel, ask the owner for decent tips. The locals know where to go. It might not be cheap, but at least it is decent. If you are only there for 1 day on a cruise, just grab a pizza slice somewhere or stock up at the supermarket on the P. Roma for a DIY-picknick.

As others have said, ask your hotel for recommendations.

That said, we did sit and pay an awful lot of money to have coffee and desert in St. Mark's square at Cafe Florian. We had to do it - didn't know if we'd ever be back. And I regret nothing. The experience was surreal.

So, we look for the out of the way places that locals use but...we also will do the touristy thing as well.

That said, we did sit and pay an awful lot of money to have coffee and desert in St. Mark's square at Cafe Florian. We had to do it - didn't know if we'd ever be back. And I regret nothing. The experience was surreal.

So, we look for the out of the way places that locals use but...we also will do the touristy thing as well.

Ok, I cannot resist but comment on your experience. My comments are in now way meant to criticize what you did (or what others may do) but rather to inform. The cafes/restaurants located in St Marks Square are among the worst tourist traps on earth! Bar none! Nobody, who has spent any amount of time in Venice would ever sit down at one of those café tables. Doing so can subject one to a high coperata (an Italian variation on cover charge) and sometimes an additional "entertainment charge." We once joked that this was the only place on earth where one could spend over $20 on a single cup of coffee....but it is actually no joke. We have been in St Marks Square on busy tourist days and often noticed that most of those café chairs are empty (despite thousands of tourists nearby). These folks were either very smart or had good tour guides :).

So our advice (which has remained unchanged for over thirty years) is that if you feel the need for coffee, beer, or a snack...do not sit down in one of those St Marks Square café places. Enjoy the atmosphere and then walk a few blocks to a place that will not totally rip you off. In fact, a lot of the places right along the Giudecca Canal (in front of St Marks Square) have reasonable prices (for Venice) and will give you a wonderful view of the canal (plus a canal breeze).

Hank

I think everyone here is saying the same thing. Dont eat or drink in the tourist areas if you want a great food experience. If you do eat there you are not paying for food or service but the view.

Ok, I cannot resist but comment on your experience. My comments are in now way meant to criticize what you did (or what others may do) but rather to inform. The cafes/restaurants located in St Marks Square are among the worst tourist traps on earth! Bar none! Nobody, who has spent any amount of time in Venice would ever sit down at one of those café tables. Doing so can subject one to a high coperata (an Italian variation on cover charge) and sometimes an additional "entertainment charge." We once joked that this was the only place on earth where one could spend over $20 on a single cup of coffee....but it is actually no joke. We have been in St Marks Square on busy tourist days and often noticed that most of those café chairs are empty (despite thousands of tourists nearby). These folks were either very smart or had good tour guides :).

So our advice (which has remained unchanged for over thirty years) is that if you feel the need for coffee, beer, or a snack...do not sit down in one of those St Marks Square café places. Enjoy the atmosphere and then walk a few blocks to a place that will not totally rip you off. In fact, a lot of the places right along the Giudecca Canal (in front of St Marks Square) have reasonable prices (for Venice) and will give you a wonderful view of the canal (plus a canal breeze).

Hank

Yes, I know, I know....not the best use of money. But we also took a gondola boat ride (another very touristy, pricey item). I don't regret any of it, glad we did it and got it out of our system. Would only want to repeat the gondola boat - enjoyed that tremendously. But I have to agree, the local places...those hidden from the masses, are simply the best. The trick is to find them. A good concierge can help here.

We ate a dreadful meal on the waterfront area just around from St Marks. And they deserved the review we gave them on Trip Advisor. Most expensive but worse meal in Venice. But enjoyed some fabulous meals in the laneway cafes.

I recently posted this on another thread about Venice restaurants...

When we were in Venice this summer, our wonderful hosts at Locanda Orseolo gave us a list of restaurants that they recommend.

The name of the restaurant is first, followed by how many minutes it would take to get there from Locanda Orseolo (near St. Mark's) The day of the week at the end of each description is the day of the week that the restaurant is closed.

I did not personally visit these establishments, but I do trust the folks at Locanda Orseolo, to provide good recommendations.

Da Alberto - 15 min - The classic venetian osteria with wooden tables, house

wine and a full desk of delicious Cicheti ( local tapas). To eat, a small

menu for those who don't have high expectations. Sun.

Ca D'oro Alla vedova - 20 min - One of the oldest osteria in town, run for

many generations by the same family. Great desk of cicheti ( best meat balls

! ) to enjoy during the aperitif and, for something more, few traditional

dishes and the famous venetian liver. Thur.

Barababao - 10 min - Or in other words "the Boogey Man". A friendly place

nearby Rialto managed by young and smart guys that, with the chef Milo,

really care of both quality and preparation of the food. Classic venetian

dishes, meat, menu' for vegetarians, and even a little touch of creativity.

Always open.

Antico Dolo - 10 min - few steps from Rialto, a lovely osteria that is

nothing but a small saloon of dozen tables. The secret of this authentic

place is the affability of the couple of owners and the quality of the

seasonal products that every day come from the next door fish and vegetables

market. Fresh pasta! Always open.

Al Fontego - 20 min - A simple restaurant with a genuine and traditional

cuisine. Just to give you an idea about the freshness of the food. Lollo,

the owner, is first of all a fisherman who owns two fishing boats and a

desk at Rialto market. Stop. There's even an outdoor internal courtyard

open during the nice season. Mon.

Vini da Gigio - 20 min - A big name in Venice! Very famous for the quality

of the seasonal specialties, for the wide choice they offer, for the

authentic atmosphere and one of the largest wine list of the island. The

only problem is to find a table available! Reservation absolutely necessary.

Mon/Tue.

Vecio bragosso - 15 min - located in one of the largest and busy street of

Venice, this nice restaurant, with a kind of Retro' atmosphere, offers a

friendly service and a big choice of classic venetian dishes ( even meat in

the menu! ) still for good value prices. Some tables outside during the warm

season. Mon.

Antiche Carampane - 20 min - It's the real venetian osteria! Friendly

service, traditional dishes, great fresh fish and, above all .very

hidden!!! A place to try. if you are able to find it! Reservation advisable.

Sun/Mon.

La Bitta - 25 min - The only place in Venice where they serve only meat! A

small and cute restaurant where you can experience the specialties of the

mainland ( soups, tortellini, mushrooms, meat sauces and various kind of

white and red meat ) if you got enough of the lagoon shell sea food and

fish. Sun.

Corte Sconta - 20 min - A hidden trattoria located in the oldest part of

Venice, and so famous among the natives. They do what the venetians do at

their best, and that means fish, fish and fish again. From the appetizers to

the second courses, a great freshness and quality. Homemade pasta! Not the

best service. Reservation advisable. Sun/Mon.

Linea D'ombra - 25 min - A sort of two sides restaurant : inside rather

strange and modern, outside, a lovely wooden terrace on the water offer you

one of the best venetian view on San Marco basin and San Giorgio island.

The innovative cuisine is delicious. The view is absolutely priceless but

here it's something you will pay!... ; ) Reservation absolutely necessary.

Wed.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice,

due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size that

makes all very private and exclusive. Sea food and fish at their best! Nice

and refined even the selection of wines and cheeses. Reservation absolutely

necessary. Sun/Mon.

Acqua Pazza - 10 min - they serve specialties from Naples and the reason is.

the whole team come from Naples! Is like having a small part of the lively

south inside Venice. The homemade pasta is the best in town, but whatever

they propose, risotto, shell sea food, sea bus, sauté, pizza, is great and

is cooked in the southern style. . Portions are really generous! Mon.

Beccafico - 15 min - Sicilian specialties and wines in an exclusive

restaurant that keep an high quality throughout the year. In the cold season

just few tables in a small and elegant room, while during summertime it's

possible to enjoy a meal on the lovely outdoor in the airy and bright Santo

Stefano square. few steps before Academia bridge. Always open.

Osteria Santa Marina - 15 min - It's becoming a famous name in Venice,

especially if the occasion is special, and you are looking for an elegant

and refined restaurant. Here the kind staff propose a menu of local

specialties with a touch of creativity and innovation. During the warm

season, the peacefulness of the little square makes the small outdoor

lovely. Sun/Mon.

Osteria San marco - 5 min - A modern restaurant & wine bar in a central

location, really few steps behind San Marco square. The cuisine is always

open! No stop between 12.30 and 23.00 !!! creative dishes with local

products at most, and even a good selection of salami and cheeses. Quality

and location make the price. Sun.

- last but not least, two names for lunch or an easy dinner: "A La Campana"

and "Anima Bella", both located very close to our Locanda (three minutes

walk). The "A La Campana" owners tend not to accept reservations made in

advance, but they run a friendly, good place where you can stop to enjoy

some Venetian specialties; the "Anima Bella" provides authentic home

cooking, with only a selection of first courses (pasta and soups) and salads

in the menu.

----

These are the places we did try:

We ate at Anima Bella one evening. The food was delicious, but it is a "homey" atmosphere, very small. Not a place for a romantic date.

We also ate at Barababao. Again, the food was very good, but there isn't a view. We were a group of 8, and we all enjoyed our meal. Waiters were great, and helped us with our choices. Of course, with that size of group, we all get to have a taste of each other's selection.

Another great place we went, that I don't see on the list, was Al Remer. At one time, it was an oar factory. It isn't easy to find, it is tucked away, close to Rialto and has a great view of the canal from the "courtyard". They have a wide selection of cicheti, that is complimentary when you order drinks. Very casual, fun, atmosphere. Easily accommodated our group of 8.

I hope your experience in Venice was as magical as ours!

If you find yourselves on Giudecca, try Trattoria Altanella. Lovely patio dining along a canal, very good food and lovely staff. We were there in a HUGE thunderstorm and the lightning crackling around us lighting up the scenery was amazing. This is one of the few places we would return to in Venice.

Like Hank, we detest tourist traps so its always a challenge in Venice.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad you posted this. :-). I want the experience, more than the meal. I need a place in St. Marks Square for a bite before a 2:30 tour. We want to eat a sandwich and people watch. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Hank, any restaurants in Burano?

We prefer not to recommend any specific restaurant since everyone has their own taste and budget. But when you walk along the main street in Burano you will see multiple restaurants and cafes in different price ranges. For us, part of the fun is to look at the posted menus with our main focus on the daily specials. We often are approached by owners/managers who will chat, give us their card, and sometimes toss in a bonus like "a free bottle of wine if you have lunch." After we have walked around town and viewed many menus we simply make our decision on instinct. Certainly read some current reviews on sites like Tripadvisor and Yelp, but in the final analysis our best meals have been at places with the best daily menus and the right "atmosphere."

Hank

I'm glad you posted this. :-). I want the experience, more than the meal. I need a place in St. Marks Square for a bite before a 2:30 tour. We want to eat a sandwich and people watch. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

My suggestion would be to walk the area just behind St. Marks Square. Look at the windows of the bars - they will have lots of sandwiches. When one strikes your fancy, go in, order one, and either eat it standing up or have it to go (you will pay more if you sit). That is how I did my lunches in Venice.

My suggestion would be to walk the area just behind St. Marks Square. Look at the windows of the bars - they will have lots of sandwiches. When one strikes your fancy, go in, order one, and either eat it standing up or have it to go (you will pay more if you sit). That is how I did my lunches in Venice.

Thanks. Sounds exactly what we're looking for.