Attention gay community -Maiden gay cruise to Morocco hits snag

pmacher61

Organisers of an all-gay cruise blamed Moroccan officials for the cancellation of what would have been the first visit of its kind to a Muslim country.... http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/2012/07/01/maiden-gay-cruise-to-muslim-land-hits-morocco-snag

What were they thinking? Morocco may be a more "liberal" Middle Eastern country but through the entire Middle East, homosexuality is banned and punished. Death is some Middle Eastern countries. Prison terms in others. Even Bahrain, with its large expat community and used as a weekend getaway by many, many government contractors working in the "war zones" really, really frowns on any overt display of affection between anyone. And while there is an "underground" gay bar in Bahrain, it is very, very discreet and a very closely guarded secret.

Again, what were they thinking???? Did the organizers want to subject their clients to their own reality show-"1000 Locked up Abroad in a Muslim country??? Seems like very poorly thought out idea.

What were they thinking? Morocco may be a more "liberal" Middle Eastern country but through the entire Middle East, homosexuality is banned .

Not the entire Middle East, Greatam - Tel Aviv is consistently lauded as being one of the great gay friendly cities in the world :)

Not the entire Middle East, Greatam - Tel Aviv is consistently lauded as being one of the great gay friendly cities in the world :)

You are so correct. Sorry for the oversight. A reflection of that politically correct military world I spend so much time in when I am in the Middle East. We are all schooled to say MIDDLE EAST and not Muslim because if you say Muslim or Islam, you are certainly going to offend someone or be called Islamaphobic or worse.

But again, what were they thinking??? RSVP made a BIG mistake even thinking they were going to take a fully chartered gay cruise into a Muslim country-liberal/secular Muslim or not. Forget the government and their objections. It is still an offense punishable by jail time in Morocco. If I was running the group, I would be worried about running into some hardliners and getting my clients beat up or worse. Or having them end up in jail.

And if RSVP REALLY put out PR notices about being the first gay group to go to the Mosque, shame on them. A total in your face affront to the culture and mores' of Morocco.

.We are all schooled to say MIDDLE EAST and not Muslim because if you say Muslim or Islam, you are certainly going to offend someone or be called Islamaphobic or worse.
Why would you be called Islamaphobic or worse? For saying unpleasant truths? I'm reminded of something humorist Pat Condell said to this effect "the truth can only offend if you're not accustomed to hearing it."

...But again, what were they thinking??? RSVP made a BIG mistake even thinking they were going to take a fully chartered gay cruise into a Muslim country-liberal/secular Muslim or not. Forget the government and their objections. It is still an offense punishable by jail time in Morocco.

What is an offense? Having homosexual feelings or committing homosexual acts? I think it is the latter in which case no crime would necessarily be committed, would it. As for offending the locals, I doubt it. Closet homosexuality is rampant in the repressed Isalmic societies.

And if RSVP REALLY put out PR notices about being the first gay group to go to the Mosque, shame on them. A total in your face affront to the culture and mores' of Morocco.

The culture and mores of Morocco would benefit from the affront. The existing laws should be an affront to every ethical person, straight or gay, who learns of them. The laws of Morocco are not only discriminatory towards gays, but also to women (a rapist can go scot free by offering to marry his victim -see: http://www.violenceisnotourculture.org/content/morocco-rape-law-oppresses-women-activists ).

I say shame on those who tolerate this kind of discrimination and who remain silent when they have a chance to condemn it.

Isn't it curious that some will read a story like this and criticize the victims instead of putiing the blame on the real wrong doer.

Three of Morocco's most prominent conservative clerics have publicly backed a demand that a journalist be put to death for supporting greater sexual freedom in the North African kingdom. http://www.chron.com/news/article/Morocco-Salafi-clerics-back-death-for-journalist-3688133.php

Morsi's election has kickstarted repression of women in Egypt. Don't go there. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/culture/2012/07/sharia-harassment-chases-egypts.html

Archived