Which region/area to stay in Barcelona?

We will be arriving 3 days early to do some sightseeing around Barcelona. Where should we stay in terms of location - La Rambla, Barri Gotic or Gracia? I am not familiar with the different districts within Barcelona so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I may be in the minority, but I dislike las Ramblas area. The thought of staying at a hotel where every day I have to wade through that sea of people right at my doostep is a major turn off. I much prefer the Passeig de Gracia area.

Editing to add; The Passeig de Gracia (which is in the Eixample area) is not that far from Las Ramblas.

Would it still be easy to get to the cruise terminal from the Gracia/Eixample area (via public transportation)?

If I stayed in La Ramblas, I would attempt to walk to the cruise terminal..

I imagine there is some way to go by public transport but we took a cab. It wasnt that expensive, around 15 euros. Frankly, I wouldn't advise walking the long ramblas with your arms occupied with lugagge, backpacks, etc. You're setting yourself up for some unwarranted attention. Depending what ship you're on it might be even further that you think.

With all the luggage most cruisers bring I'd take a taxi no matter where the hotel is located. Taxis are plentiful and NOT expensive!

The most convenient area for your first visit is near Placa Catalunya which is the center of town.

The Eixample is above that so anywhere nearby would make life easy for you. You can see hotel locations by putting them into Google and using the map that will appear.

I enjoy the atmosphere in the Gothic Quarter (Bari Gotic), it's quieter than Las Ramblas but still there's a lot going on.

I stayed at the Eurostars Marina Grande (which is about as close as you can get to the port) once, but still wouldn't have tried to walk it, unless you have less luggage than most.

(By the way, I thought that particular hotel was soulless, although the rooms are huge by European standards).

We will be arriving 3 days early to do some sightseeing around Barcelona. Where should we stay in terms of location - La Rambla, Barri Gotic or Gracia? I am not familiar with the different districts within Barcelona so any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are some advantages to staying close to the Gotic quarter, but prices will be higher.

We know people on the same cruise that like the Continental just north of the Playa Catalyna for about 100Euros per night. We stayed in the Example section near the Diagonal Metro that was about a mile north of Playa Catalyna for 68Euros per night at a good three star hotel with a bar, restaurant, marble everywhere (Hotel Astoria, check venere website).

OP: first, know that the "central" area of Barcelona, including the Barri Gotic, Las Ramblas, and the area around Placa de Cataluyna, is not all that big and very walkable (and very easy to get around in by metro as well).

I would not stay along Las Ramblas for the reasons others have said: noisy, congested, pickpockets, and you can easily walk to it from other places. I would also have a bit of a concern about staying in the Barri Gotic itself, as it's a warren of narrow, twisty streets, easy to get lost there, and not someplace I'd probably want to walk around in at night.

A great place to stay is just north of Las Ramblas (around Rambla de Cataluyna/south end of the Eixample/near Placa de Cataluyna/Passeig de Gracia). You will be in a good neighborhood, an easy stroll to Las Ramblas, easy access to metro.

And wherever you stay, do take a taxi to the port.

Have a great trip!

We stayed behind Las Ramblas - nice and quiet - and close to everything.

We like it - close to the old part of the city - close to the hip hop and off buses and close to La Boqueria - definitely have breakfast there and visit.

It's fantastic.

And do take a cab to the cruise terminal. highly recommended.

I would also have a bit of a concern about staying in the Barri Gotic itself, as it's a warren of narrow, twisty streets, easy to get lost there, and not someplace I'd probably want to walk around in at night.

I stayed at a wonderful boutique hotel in the Bari Gotic -- Hotel Raco del Pi -- and I just loved it. The rooms were small but the service was perfect. The building was an old stone one that had been renovated in a very modern way. I was on my own and I never got lost or felt at all unsafe, even coming back after a late dinner (and you know how late dinners can be in Spain)!

There were good restaurants nearby (including a bakery right across the street for breakfast), and fun shopping. The location was quiet at night but only two blocks in one direction to Las Ramblas and about 3 in the other direction to the Gothic Cathedral.

Archived