Swimming beach at Paihia or Waitangi, NZ?

geri

Just asked DH (who is an ex-tour coach driver up North) and he said as you walk from Paihia towards Waitangi, you go around a 'point' and you will find a good swimming beach there.

Beautiful part of the country.:)

Is there a good beach for swimming located near Pahihia or Waitangi in the Bay of Island area New Zealand?

spent 18 years of my childhood swiming at the beaches in Paihia. Waitangi, (my home) is a stunning long beach running all the way from the bluff (or point) all the way around to the bridge, about a mile or so...perfect light sand, great surf sometimes but pretty gentle most of the time. It starts about a 3 minute walk to the right from the pier. Paihia beach is also sandy and sheltered and is to the left and right of the pier and also dont forget Marsden beach the other way to the left of the pier Its lined with trees and grass, is very sandy with a little more shell ut also very sheltered.

The whole waterfront of Paihia is made up of the three, perfect swiming beaches. Ahhh memories of a misspent youth.

spent 18 years of my childhood swiming at the beaches in Paihia. Waitangi, (my home) is a stunning long beach running all the way from the bluff (or point) all the way around to the bridge, about a mile or so...perfect light sand, great surf sometimes but pretty gentle most of the time. It starts about a 3 minute walk to the right from the pier. Paihia beach is also sandy and sheltered and is to the left and right of the pier and also dont forget Marsden beach the other way to the left of the pier Its lined with trees and grass, is very sandy with a little more shell ut also very sheltered.

The whole waterfront of Paihia is made up of the three, perfect swiming beaches. Ahhh memories of a misspent youth.

Can't wait to enjoy your beach! Do you have suggestions for boating excursions that we would have time to do during our 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. port stop?

Carolyn

Can't wait to enjoy your beach! Do you have suggestions for boating excursions that we would have time to do during our 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. port stop?

Carolyn

If the tenders go to waitangi, then the beach the previous poster mentioned to the left is waitangi beach Its about a mile long and if you keep walking you get to paihia township and the other beaches. In total about a 20 minute pleasant walk.

I can definately recommend the ":hole in the rock" boat excursion. There are a couple of companies that do it...the most famous "fullers" which is the original company that used to do it and the "cream trip" which is a cream trip drop around the some of the 360 odd islands in the Bay of islands amongst other famous old nz trips.

The other company that does the hole in the rock...is "the mack attack". It is a fast speed boat trip, a bit thrilling and wet for my liking!

Make sure that which ever company you choose you do the morning trip, it gets a little rough for the afternoon trippers to go through the hole....and you're more than likely to see the dolphins etc in the morning. The trip out to the hole, is fabulous, the bay is really pretty and you get a better look close up than from the ship if you are up early enough.

If you do it in the morning you will have plenty of time to discover Russell. which is the pretty historic town across the bay from paihia. Both of the hole in the rock tours will drop you off there on the way back to paihia and either the tender will pick you up from Russell back to the ship or catch the ferry across the bay back to paihia and maybe walk back to waitangi if that is where the tenders go.

Some ship tenders go to waitangi ... some to paihia.

Sad to say, and I have to admit it, Paihia is a bit of a tourist trap now, it is pretty but has lost all the charm that russell has maintained.

I find kerikeri which you will be offerred on excursions to be also a bit touristy , you may be offerred the kauri forest which is worth while. NZ native bush is stunning. And also, if you have the time, the Waitangi treaty grounds, where European./Maori history was created is well worth a visit. There is a stunning cafe called Waikokopu, there are two there, but waikokopu is definately the best, good food, great coffee and the best chocolate rumballs you will ever eat. Lovely setting by a duck pond overlooking the big canoe and russell and your ship in the distance.

of course you cant do everything so you have to pick your interests. I had a friend going last year on a ship and at my suggestion they did the Hole in the Rock in the morning, (they did fullers and saw lots of sea life) had an hour and late lunch in Russell then a ferry to paihia ,. walked the water front to waitangi for the treaty grounds and were really pleased with what they did.

sorry...probably more information than you wanted...regards roscoe

Archived