Just back from La Romana

4evercruzin

After reading negative posts about nothing at La Romana, we decided to walk around the port. There are public bathrooms there and a duty free shop called Dufry. If you walk to the right, there are shuttles to take you to the following places:

For $5.00 pp about a 10 min ride

There is a map given to passengers that lists the following places

Central Park (has a local flea market)

La Romana Social Club

City Hall

Santa Rosa Church

Eduardo's Art Gallery

Dinorah Pharmacy

Shiskabab Restaurant

Celulares and Mas

Quezada Money Exchange

Fed Ex

Police Station

Bibi Leon Art

Jumbo Superstore (like a Walmart)

Central Romana Medical Center

Canela Medical Center

DomHam Burgers and Grill

Maria Ventura Real Estate

Orense Plaza Hipermarket

Alondra Pizzeria

Julia Restaurant

Almacenes Iberia Megastore

or for $7.00 take a shuttle to

Water Fountain

Mercadito Mini Market

Bibi Leon ARt

Jenny Polanco Fashion

Art Gallery

Everett Designs

Le Boulangerie Bakery

Onnos Bar and Tapas

Ampitheater

Amber Museum

Montecristo Cigar Lounge

Regional Archeology Museum

Saint Estabuslao Church

Papa Jacks

La Piazzeta Restaurant

Dye Fore Pro Shop

Swimming Pool

19th Hole Bar

Our group went on the $5.00 shuttle. We shopped at the local flea market. Larimar is a blue stone supposedly mined in DR exclusively. They were selling necklaces, rings, and bracelets. The prices vary so shop around before you buy. There was Mary Juana (dried wood chips found in the area) that you mix rum, wine, and honey in a glass booze bottle. It was referred to as the fountain of youth. We were told this mixture needs to soak for three days before consuming and will cure anything and is an aphrodisiac. This is sold with the liquor or just the bark chips.

We ate at the Shishkabab Restaurant. It was an enjoyable lunch. We shopped at Jumbo for hot sauce and the local rum.

If you would like to take a taxi, then go to the left away from the people standing in line for the shuttles.

We had planned on going to Dreams, but the weather was cloudy and rained at times. We had fun exploring the area.

Hope this post helps as we could not find much info about this new port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
After reading negative posts about nothing at La Romana, we decided to walk around the port. There are public bathrooms there and a duty free shop called Dufry. If you walk to the right, there are shuttles to take you to the following places:

La Romana Social Club

City Hall

Santa Rosa Church

Eduardo's Art Gallery

Dinorah Pharmacy

Shiskabab Restaurant

Celulares and Mas

Quezada Money Exchange

Fed Ex

Police Station

Bibi Leon Art

Canela Medical Center

DomHam Burgers and Grill

Orense Plaza Hipermarket

Alondra Pizzeria

Julia Restaurant

Water Fountain

Mercadito Mini Market

Bibi Leon ARt

Jenny Polanco Fashion

Art Gallery

Everett Designs

Le Boulangerie Bakery

Onnos Bar and Tapas

Ampitheater

Amber Museum

Montecristo Cigar Lounge

Saint Estabuslao Church

Papa Jacks

La Piazzeta Restaurant

Dye Fore Pro Shop

Swimming Pool

19th Hole Bar

Our group went on the $5.00 shuttle. We shopped at the local flea market. Larimar is a blue stone supposedly mined in DR exclusively. They were selling necklaces, rings, and bracelets. The prices vary so shop around before you buy. There was Mary Juana (dried wood chips found in the area) that you mix rum, wine, and honey in a glass booze bottle. It was referred to as the fountain of youth. We were told this mixture needs to soak for three days before consuming and will cure anything and is an aphrodisiac. This is sold with the liquor or just the bark chips.

We ate at the Shishkabab Restaurant. It was an enjoyable lunch. We shopped at Jumbo for hot sauce and the local rum.

If you would like to take a taxi, then go to the left away from the people standing in line for the shuttles.

We had planned on going to Dreams, but the weather was cloudy and rained at times. We had fun exploring the area.

Great information. Thank you

Yes, lots of negitive posts. We want to hire a taxi right off the ship and tour the island. Then get dropped off at a beach. But couldn't get much information on what there is to see. Also, reading about safety makes us a bit concerned. I just hate going somewhere new and only seeing a beach. I would like to see as much of the country as possible.

So, my questions would be, do you think safety is an issue? Did you take a shuttle? Taking the $7.00 ride, would it give us enough to see the area? Does it stop at different places or just drive by? I wouldn't mind shopping/eating where the locals do. It would be perfect if you could get off and get on later on a different shuttle. That's why we were thinking of just taking a taxi and doing what we want. From your list, there were enough places to check out and still have some time at a beach.

Just back. We did a private excursion which was fantastic.

We had to walk outside the gates for our taxi. Some Taxi drivers know very little English (one of my sons got in the front seat, said,

"Hey, how are you doing?" and the driver replied "Carlos." He was pretty quiet the rest of the way there.

The driver on the way back was fluent in English and stated how happy the people in LaRomana were to have a ship coming in as they needed the money in their town.

-----and the driving is a little crazy....lots of little motor bikes all over the place which causes the drivers to honk a lot.

That being said, I felt very safe and this was by far, one of, if not my very favorite ports of all times.

We had welcoming dancers when our ship arrived and port works, police, and dancers waving goodbye, clapping for us, and throwing kisses as our ship left port. Saona Island is gorgeous and the natural beauty of the ocean is amazing!!

Have fun!!

Melinda, I also noticed the major road project underway that paralleled the road to Bayahibe. Appears to be the equivalent of a US interstate. I imagine once completed the drive out will be much faster too!

Melinda, I also noticed the major road project underway that paralleled the road to Bayahibe. Appears to be the equivalent of a US interstate. I imagine once completed the drive out will be much faster too!

The motorway under construction is called the Coral Highway. It will eventually link Santo Domingo to Punta Cana (in the East). The first phase running between Punta Cana and Bayahibe should be open August/Sept 2012. It will reduce the trip from 90 to 45 minutes! However, it will be a toll road and the taxi fares are not expected to be reduced :-(

The Bayahibe to La Romana section may or may not be open at the same time. If it does open it will reduce the journey time from La Romana Port to Bayahibe by between 5 to 8 minutes. Again, the taxi fares are not expected to be reduced. But the drive will be a smoother and probably less stressful one :-)

Melinda, What was the private excursion that you went on? We are going in January and like to book privately. We would appreciate any information you can give us!!! Thanks, Tina

Just back. We did a private excursion which was fantastic.

We had to walk outside the gates for our taxi. Some Taxi drivers know very little English (one of my sons got in the front seat, said,

"Hey, how are you doing?" and the driver replied "Carlos." He was pretty quiet the rest of the way there.

The driver on the way back was fluent in English and stated how happy the people in LaRomana were to have a ship coming in as they needed the money in their town.

-----and the driving is a little crazy....lots of little motor bikes all over the place which causes the drivers to honk a lot.

That being said, I felt very safe and this was by far, one of, if not my very favorite ports of all times.

We had welcoming dancers when our ship arrived and port works, police, and dancers waving goodbye, clapping for us, and throwing kisses as our ship left port. Saona Island is gorgeous and the natural beauty of the ocean is amazing!!

Have fun!!

The motorway under construction is called the Coral Highway. It will eventually link Santo Domingo to Punta Cana (in the East). The first phase running between Punta Cana and Bayahibe should be open August/Sept 2012. It will reduce the trip from 90 to 45 minutes! However, it will be a toll road and the taxi fares are not expected to be reduced :-(

The Bayahibe to La Romana section may or may not be open at the same time. If it does open it will reduce the journey time from La Romana Port to Bayahibe by between 5 to 8 minutes. Again, the taxi fares are not expected to be reduced. But the drive will be a smoother and probably less stressful one :-)

Thank you for all your information. I may have missed it, but I just want to go to Bayahibe and stroll around then go to the beach next to Breezes. Will I be able to catch a cab or van easily for a round trip to and from port? Some have said cabs are not very plentiful and hard to get one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thank you for all your information. I may have missed it, but I just want to go to Bayahibe and stroll around then go to the beach next to Breezes. Will I be able to catch a cab or van easily for a round trip to and from port? Some have said cabs are not very plentiful and hard to get one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Plenty of taxis at the port all day. 15$US per person round trip in shared taxi/minivan from port to Bayahibe. Pay driver on return journey. Driver will meet you at a designated time and place. Btw Breezes is now Dreams La Romana.

Plenty of taxis at the port all day. 15$US per person round trip in shared taxi/minivan from port to Bayahibe. Pay driver on return journey. Driver will meet you at a designated time and place. Btw Breezes is now Dreams La Romana.

Thank you so much for that information. We will be catching a taxi/van and headed toward town and the beach.

Thank you so much for that information. We will be catching a taxi/van and headed toward town and the beach.
Wow! Once this board gets going there's no stopping!!! LOL

I think that taking a taxi and doing the town and beach thing sounds good. I like to poke around and then maybe relax on the beach for a bit. Not sure what Bob and Nancy are going to do yet so will wait for them too before we decide. I remember tho that Carnival says it's better to book excursions and such thru them because if there is a delay or breakdown or whatever then Carnival will wait for you if you arrive back at the ship late. If you go out on your own then you are REALLY ON YOUR Own. What do you think? Marianne

Updated spreadsheet for the four of us, if anyone wants to add what they are doing, let me know either here or on FB. It may take a day or so to update if there are a lot but will get it done. Sometimes make the change but don't post that it is made.

Can't wait for this cruise, may have to do a short one between now and then depending on time and price.

DeAnna

Updated spreadsheet for the four of us, if anyone wants to add what they are doing, let me know either here or on FB. It may take a day or so to update if there are a lot but will get it done. Sometimes make the change but don't post that it is made.

Can't wait for this cruise, may have to do a short one between now and then depending on time and price.

DeAnna

change of plans......some of our group from the OBX have backed out(thier loss) so no ZIP Line for my guys its " Seavis Saona special " and Bayahibe Beach...sooo when you get a moment can you add that to our spread sheet???? Aruba will be a "City Tour"...4hrs 30 min...and a stop at the beach...$45.00 adult $35.00 children

• 1 month later...

La Romana Social Club

City Hall

Santa Rosa Church

Eduardo's Art Gallery

Dinorah Pharmacy

Shiskabab Restaurant

Celulares and Mas

Quezada Money Exchange

Fed Ex

Police Station

Bibi Leon Art

Canela Medical Center

DomHam Burgers and Grill

Orense Plaza Hipermarket

Alondra Pizzeria

Julia Restaurant

Water Fountain

Mercadito Mini Market

Bibi Leon ARt

Jenny Polanco Fashion

Art Gallery

Everett Designs

Le Boulangerie Bakery

Onnos Bar and Tapas

Ampitheater

Amber Museum

Montecristo Cigar Lounge

Saint Estabuslao Church

Papa Jacks

La Piazzeta Restaurant

Dye Fore Pro Shop

Swimming Pool

19th Hole Bar

Thank you for this information. I have been reading and trying to get as much info as possible on this port. Did you feel safe? I read mixed reviews on this . Also, the shuttle -we have a group of about 15 -is it right near the port-easy to find? Thank you again!

La Romana Social Club

City Hall

Santa Rosa Church

Eduardo's Art Gallery

Dinorah Pharmacy

Shiskabab Restaurant

Celulares and Mas

Quezada Money Exchange

Fed Ex

Police Station

Bibi Leon Art

Canela Medical Center

DomHam Burgers and Grill

Orense Plaza Hipermarket

Alondra Pizzeria

Julia Restaurant

Water Fountain

Mercadito Mini Market

Bibi Leon ARt

Jenny Polanco Fashion

Art Gallery

Everett Designs

Le Boulangerie Bakery

Onnos Bar and Tapas

Ampitheater

Amber Museum

Montecristo Cigar Lounge

Saint Estabuslao Church

Papa Jacks

La Piazzeta Restaurant

Dye Fore Pro Shop

Swimming Pool

19th Hole Bar

Thank you for this information. I have been reading and trying to get as much info as possible on this port. Did you feel safe? I read mixed reviews on this . Also, the shuttle -we have a group of about 15 -is it right near the port-easy to find? Thank you again!

I am an avid Hard Rock Cafe collector and La Romana does not have a location. The closest locations are in Santo Domingo or Puna Cana. I was wondering if its possible to take a taxi from La Romana to one of these locations (preferably Santo Domingo) and back and what the cost would be? Or is there a public transportation option to either place that would be possible? Were are in port 8-5, so time should not be a problem getting there and back.

Not sure where the HRC in Santo Domingo is but you're probably talking a couple of hours ride. I've heard taxi fare between SD airport and the beaches at Bayahibe runs $100+ one way. About the same time and distance to Punta Cana but the taxi fares reported are more $120-$130 each way. Sounds kinda expensive for a HRC Tee shirt.

How was the Santo Domingo city tour? I was considering doing that as a way to get there and back cheaper and without missing the ship. From reading the description it looks like the tour gives you some shopping time where the HRC is looked. Is this correct? Did you happen to see the HRC on the tour?

Edited by jwalk03