how informal is informal :)

twinklyhb

hi we are going on a cruise and stay on the island escape at the end of feb on the colourful coasts itinerary, we have in the past been on ocean village and loved it ,and the informality of it, just how informal is the escape can my husband wear shorts and t shirt as he did on ocean village ? thanks in advance heather

hi we are going on a cruise and stay on the island escape at the end of feb on the colourful coasts itinerary, we have in the past been on ocean village and loved it, and the informality of it, just how informal is the escape can my husband wear shorts and t shirt as he did on ocean village ? thanks in advance heather

No problems there during the day BUT not in the evening. Smart casual or chinos at the restaurants. Let's face it who wants to look at hairy legs over dinner, lol.:eek: It probably wouldn't be warm enough in the evening anyway but short/long sleeved shirts/polo shirts should be fine. No need for ball gowns though, dresses or black pants with a dressy top say! Take mix and match and it looks as if you've brought loads of different outfits. Like black and black and black, lol.

There is no formal night so unless your husband really wants to take it you can leave the suit at home. Quite a lot of scope really, I didn't see any jeans at night on our cruise though.

In the day we just wore the usual holiday clothes as if on land, which we were most of the time come to think of it.:D:D

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Having loved the informality of OV we are considering a future trip on Island Escape. One large factor in this is the informal dress code. So if you do see shorts and T shirt at dinner it may be me! I go on holiday to be comfy not feel like i am still at work. I know its not everybody's opinion but thats me. I did get a disgusted look once in Plantations on OV from an older chap in smart dress as i sat down in my shorts, tshirt and beach shoes for tea but after a few flashes of my hairy legs he left, maybe for the Bistro where dress was more formal!

The official word on Island Escape as far as i can see is Passengers are asked to cover up and wear shoes or flip flops if coming indoors from the pool, and smart casual clothing is appropriate for dinner in the Oasis Restaurant but other than that, passengers can do their own thing.

So its beachcomber buffet or the dining room for me unlee i do put of polo shirt and trousers and head to The Oasis.

Having loved the informality of OV we are considering a future trip on Island Escape. One large factor in this is the informal dress code. So if you do see shorts and T shirt at dinner it may be me! I go on holiday to be comfy not feel like i am still at work. I know its not everybody's opinion but thats me. I did get a disgusted look once in Plantations on OV from an older chap in smart dress as i sat down in my shorts, tshirt and beach shoes for tea but after a few flashes of my hairy legs he left, maybe for the Bistro where dress was more formal!

The official word on Island Escape as far as i can see is Passengers are asked to cover up and wear shoes or flip flops if coming indoors from the pool, and smart casual clothing is appropriate for dinner in the Oasis Restaurant but other than that, passengers can do their own thing.

So its beachcomber buffet or the dining room for me unlee i do put of polo shirt and trousers and head to The Oasis.

Even some of the worst hotels i have been to, they required people to cover up when eating inside, especially for evening meal.

Don't think i would be too impressed to see you sat in shorts in the evening in the buffet restaurant, lido ok, but surely not inside, think i'd walk out as well.

Even some of the worst hotels i have been to, they required people to cover up when eating inside, especially for evening meal.

Don't think i would be too impressed to see you sat in shorts in the evening in the buffet restaurant, lido ok, but surely not inside, think i'd walk out as well.

I agree with Sodafountain. Flip-flops and covering up is for in the day at the Beachcomber. You will find the buffet restaurant is dressed with table cloths and place settings so you should return the compliment by making a bit of an effort, such as a shower and shirt and long pants. The waiters don't hang around in overalls either. Even in the Beachcomber at night people get changed as it is part of the evening schedule. When Tomson say 'informal' they mean that there are no Dinner Jackets, ball gowns etc. not 'it's ok to wear beach clothes indoors'.

I think you are just trying to be controversial. Very few of the men wore suits but made an effort and all of the women did. If the women came down in vests and shorts the reaction would be the same, ie. can't be bothered. You wouldn't go out to dinner in a restaurant in this country in a t-shirt and shorts as there would be a dress code.

Our last holiday was in Turkey at an AI and the sight of hairy Russian men in vest and shorts coming down to dinner was enough to put anyone off their food. It's just plain good manners.:):)

Jan

i have to say i would rather my hubby could wear what ever he wanted ,be that shorts etc,after all its our holiday but he will cover up if he has to and wear whatever but what am i supposed to dress my 7 yr old boy in , and does that mean during the day for lunch,breakfast snacks whatever they can wear shorts ,i too loved the ov because of the total informality of it and when i booked i specifically asked if shorts were allowed and was told that as long as they were long shorts for dinner they would be fine in the buffet restaurant dont get me wrong i love to get dressed up ,i just dont enjoy being told when i have to

heather:)

when i booked i specifically asked if shorts were allowed and was told that as long as they were long shorts for dinner they would be fine in the buffet restaurant

I wore long shorts to dinner on the IE, but then again as I have short legs they looked like trousers :D

so are jeans allowed ????????????? and what can i dress my little boy in ?? please someone answer !!!!!!!!!!!! im getting really confused now shorts no shorts ,jeans or not ,or does it have to be trousers ooooh 5 weeks the excitement is building and which is the best trip to do in morrocco i was going to do our own thing mostly everywhere else but was thinking of doing a trip in morrocco .

heather

I think jeans are allowed, but peronally I wear chino's as they look a tad smarter than jeans and are more comfortable in the heat.

Children can get away with anything :D the waiters will spoil them rotten.

We had some friends who went to the nearest beach in Agidir and had some others that done the markets and they enjoyed them both.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

I go on the thomson / IE cruises for the informality of them & the casual dress code.

When in the buffet dining i think 3/4 shorts & T shirts are ok, but in the main restaurant's al la carte & silver service. i think trousers & shirt are a minimum.

gazz

This is from Thomsons Website

"No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening."

So it appears you can wear pretty much what you want at anytime anywhere, It will really irritate some though :D

"No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening."

So it appears you can wear pretty much what you want at anytime anywhere, It will really irritate some though :D

Good :D

:cool: good i've just been out and bought some string vests and tight shorts bring on the snobs :cool:

Archived