What to do in port if you don't go to beaches??

veggie59

So many options pop to mind...whales, golfing, bars/partying, walking the area....

Looking at the excursions offered by the cruise line will give you ideas, as will a little reading here on the board.

Well i did check the board some first before posting. There really isn't much info except for water related excursions. Thanks though :)

We hare a question for the OP. With an entire world to choose from, why would you choose sun,sand, places. Instead of heading all the way across the USA for a Mexican Riviera cruise, why not consider flying the opposite direction to Europe where there are ports with much to offer other then weather and sand. And before we get flamed for knocking your ports....we should mention that we live in Puerto Valllarta for 2 months a year.

That being said, there is more to do in Mexico then go to the beach. Shopping can be fun (if you go to the real Mexican shops, flea markets, etc. and we have some great food here in Mexico. And there are plenty of touristy things to do such as zip lining, horseback riding, ATV tours, etc

Hank

We hare a question for the OP. With an entire world to choose from, why would you choose sun,sand, places. Instead of heading all the way across the USA for a Mexican Riviera cruise, why not consider flying the opposite direction to Europe where there are ports with much to offer other then weather and sand. And before we get flamed for knocking your ports....we should mention that we live in Puerto Valllarta for 2 months a year.

That being said, there is more to do in Mexico then go to the beach. Shopping can be fun (if you go to the real Mexican shops, flea markets, etc. and we have some great food here in Mexico. And there are plenty of touristy things to do such as zip lining, horseback riding, ATV tours, etc

Hank

Or in Puerto Vallarta book the daytour to the old miningtown San Sebastian to see more from the surrounding area.

Your cruiseline might also offer a daytour in La Paz to visit Todo Santos, Hotel California.

Loreto itself is a small charming town, just walk around, shop the local market.

We have been to most of those ports multiple times and don't go to lie out on beaches either!!

La Paz has a cute town to explore.

There is a bus from the cruise port into town and then there are craft shops and other spots to walk around.

Puerto Vallarta is a great city! There are ships tours to the nearby villages with a short stop at a beach restaurant for a drink or a snack.

There are also tours to towns farther away in the mountains. We enjoy walking along the boardwalk in town looking at the sculptures along the way. There is a very unique pier where you can stop and sit for a while with a drink or ice cream or lunch.

There are interesting ship's excursions with local entertainment. Do look through your ship's offerings and you will see lots to do there that is not beachy!!!

Cabo is another story as it is a tender port which my husband doesn't enjoy. You can take a tour of the town and local desertlike area which is very different from the lush tropical vegetation in Puerto Vallarta!

I don't think anyone on here should question your choice of this cruise because you don't want to go to beaches! We live in San Diego so don't cruise for beaches much either!! We still love going to Mexico!

Edited by riffatsea

We don't do sand and sea either. But the first time to a port we might some sort of an overview tour. These usually involve some sort of boat. We've been to those ports many times, so these days our biggest question is where we want to eat.

Do you want something more authentic or something that caters to the US tourist? I'll assume a more authentic, less touristy.

Cabo-- the big draw is Land's End. It's the tip of Baja. The view is good from the ship but better up close. Could take a Panga. See the museum. Eat at Taco Loco or Las Guacamayas. Tours will do a boat ride around the cape and a bus tour.

La Paz- inland (a few blocks) from the bus terminal is the church. Across the plaza is a museum. Very good food at the mercado, located up the street from Burger King. The bus tour is interesting- weavers, ceramics and glass blower.

Loreto- walk to the plaza. It's unique as its long, not so square as is typical. We've looked into eating at Fonda Capinole, under the church's bell tower. El Rey del Taco has very good tacos. Orlando's is the top restaurant in Loreto in Trip Advisor. It's decent gringo Mexican food.

PV has lots to do. Take a cab or bud to Rio Cuale. Walk around the area and down the Malecon. Two churches in the area. We eat at Malecon (blue building across from McDonald's, and El Mole de Jovita.

At all ports we get ice cream, paletas (Popsicles) and/or Aqua Frescas (fresh juices). La Michoacana is a chain, sometimes we will hit a local shop. In La Pax there's one on the Plaza.

Thank you for some informative replies,,...the ones not suggesting Europe lol. Europe is on our radar but not for this trip. :)

My husband likes the sun and beaches and I don't...that is why cruising works for us. He can go snorkeling if he wants and I go shopping or stay on the ship. We also do tours together.

Most of the excursions I have seen were beach and water related....I will check some more places. Please keep the suggestions coming!! Thanks. :)