Shared Excursions - Risks for the organizer

rjp50

FWI Aldo's Limos out of Sorrento also does this, taking each party's info and credit card no. although actual payment is made at the end of the tour. We did this for the Almafi Coast and really liked the driver. Aldo himself met us along the way to ask how the day was going. Sweet guy.

Good to know and thanks for posting!

So glad I found his thread. We are just now planning our excursions for our May 2016 Med cruise and this has been a concern of mine! I like the suggestions listed here a lot!

I know several folks have recommended Joe Banana but somebody off a recent Spirit sailing (mid-May) posted a bad experience with them. Can't remember the particulars but they were enough to have me re-think using them. FYI.

• 1 month later...
It’s unfortunate, but there are times when the organizer DOES get stuck.

On a previous cruise, I guaranteed the numbers on my credit card and I had everyone’s names, e-mail, cabin numbers, personal assurances that they were going, etc. Well the night before the tour, I received a call from Stranger A who told me that she had dinner with one of the couples on my tour who told her that they weren’t going on the tour and that Stranger A might be interested. Well she wasn’t, so I called the couple and they said that they changed their minds. I explained that I had guaranteed the numbers with my credit card and told them they would need to pay their share. They refused, saying they “hadn’t signed anything”. They screwed me 2 ways – first by not even telling me they weren’t coming (found out from Stranger A) so I could find a replacement and then by not paying their share.

I got stuck paying for them since I had guaranteed the numbers with my credit card (and the others on the tour weren’t willing to pitch in for the No-shows)

Lesson Learned – I now collect for the tours on the first day of the cruise and anyone that doesn’t pay is no longer on the tour.

Private tours are the way to go when I cruise because it's so much cheaper and a much better tour than with a busload. I always try to organize private tours or taxis, etc for groups of people on my cruise. Right now, I have 6 vans of 6 going on a private tour of Halifax. Even though I have emailed all, I am still concerned that someone will back out. I have asked everyone to pay me by the second day of the cruise...in full for the tour. Don't know if this will make a difference, but I am hopeful. Why people don't show/change their mind and then don't think this impacts the group is crazy! Yet, every cruise I continue to organize tours! You'd think that I'd have learned my lesson....but I remain ever hopeful!

Kathy

There were a lot of private tours, set up via CC roll call participants, on a cruise I went on that was RT from Rome (Civitavecchia). No one indicated there was any problem with people not paying or issues if someone cancelled.(Many of the tours had a waiting list.) On a tour I set up, we orginally had 4 couples. One woman had to travel alone as her husband couldn't go on the cruise. We tried to get a replacement person but she said she'd pay extra. Everyone on the tour decided to just split the cost evenly. We knew she had to pay extra for her cabin as she was staying in it alone. It really worked out ok. Difference wasn't very much for anyone.

I prefer going on tours that are not via the ship. Sometimes, however, I will take one with the ship if it's my only choice for a place my DH and I want to see and no one has set up something.

Most important, which all of us who set up tours did, is to have emails to keep in touch before the cruise. We also knew the cabin numbers.

Something very similar happened to me earlier this month on our British Isles cruise. We had an overnight in Dublin and I had put together tours for both days for a small group of seven. One couple had signed on to do both days, then at 10pm on Day 1 called me to say they couldn't join us on Day 2! The lady sounded quite surprised when I said they'd committed to pay irrespective of whether they came on the tour or not. I pointed out telling them it was the honor system when we first booked the tours six months out and that it wasn't fair to the others to have to chip in for them. Also where would I find someone else to take their spots that late at night?

Anyway, the lady wasn't happy but they did show up the next morning. They sort of acted like I didn't exist but that was okay by me. In my book when you sign up for something you give your word and should stand by it.

However, I should say that this is the first time ever such a thing has happened to, I have put together tours many times before in the past and never once had a problem. Last year a family of four who'd signed up for a tour had to cancel their cruise but they emailed me wanting to pay their share. Since we were about 10 days out from our sail date I was able to find someone else to take their spots and that worked out.

I like the idea of collecting money at the M&M or soon after embarkation, should do this on future cruises, thanks for the suggestion:)

Something very similar happened to me earlier this month on our British Isles cruise. We had an overnight in Dublin and I had put together tours for both days for a small group of seven. One couple had signed on to do both days, then at 10pm on Day 1 called me to say they couldn't join us on Day 2! The lady sounded quite surprised when I said they'd committed to pay irrespective of whether they came on the tour or not. I pointed out telling them it was the honor system when we first booked the tours six months out and that it wasn't fair to the others to have to chip in for them. Also where would I find someone else to take their spots that late at night?

Anyway, the lady wasn't happy but they did show up the next morning. They sort of acted like I didn't exist but that was okay by me. In my book when you sign up for something you give your word and should stand by it.

However, I should say that this is the first time ever such a thing has happened to, I have put together tours many times before in the past and never once had a problem. Last year a family of four who'd signed up for a tour had to cancel their cruise but they emailed me wanting to pay their share. Since we were about 10 days out from our sail date I was able to find someone else to take their spots and that worked out.

I like the idea of collecting money at the M&M or soon after embarkation, should do this on future cruises, thanks for the suggestion:)

Yes, I guess u never know hey? I am very trusting too but u never really know who will uphold their word or not.

That is the great thing about tours like italytoursharing.com. U all sign up individually to form one group.

I think you handled it very well. Interesting that the night before they "couldn't join" the tour but showed up for it when you made it clear they'd have to pay due to commitment and last minute calling.

Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

One point. Important to not do anything at M&M/M&G about private tours. The M&M is a cooperative program with the cruise line. Best to discuss the private tours away from there. I've seen postings on CC about this. We don't want the cruise line to stop having the M&M.

Yes, I guess u never know hey? I am very trusting too but u never really know who will uphold their word or not.

That is the great thing about tours like italytoursharing.com. U all sign up individually to form one group.

I believe for the most part people are honest, its only in very rare cases when such a thing happens. I've never ever had this kind of experience in over 10 years of cruising,

I think you handled it very well. Interesting that the night before they "couldn't join" the tour but showed up for it when you made it clear they'd have to pay due to commitment and last minute calling.

Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

One point. Important to not do anything at M&M/M&G about private tours. The M&M is a cooperative program with the cruise line. Best to discuss the private tours away from there. I've seen postings on CC about this. We don't want the cruise line to stop having the M&M.

Yes, they did show up and pay at the end of the tour, but what would I have done if they didn't? Haven't the vaguest idea:D

Good point about the M&M, we do discuss private tours at these meets but should probably keep money transactions separate. In one port I took a tour with a someone who had scheduled tours in several ports, she asked us to meet at Cafe al Bacio the first sea day. At the time I wondered why but in retrospect it makes sense, she wanted to meet everyone and lay out the ground rules, though she didn't collect money.

We live and learn, but despite this incident I still trust in people's basic honesty:)

I believe for the most part people are honest, its only in very rare cases when such a thing happens. I've never ever had this kind of experience in over 10 years of cruising,

Yes, they did show up and pay at the end of the tour, but what would I have done if they didn't? Haven't the vaguest idea:D

We live and learn, but despite this incident I still trust in people's basic honesty:)

If it's a tour with total amount to be paid, then probably good idea to collect money before the tour begins and then organizer can pay the guide with the money. I've been on some private tours where there's a set amount per person to be paid directly to guide. Tips, of course, are up to the individual.

I also trust people's honesty. Hope that doesn't change.

It’s unfortunate, but there are times when the organizer DOES get stuck.

On a previous cruise, I guaranteed the numbers on my credit card and I had everyone’s names, e-mail, cabin numbers, personal assurances that they were going, etc. Well the night before the tour, I received a call from Stranger A who told me that she had dinner with one of the couples on my tour who told her that they weren’t going on the tour and that Stranger A might be interested. Well she wasn’t, so I called the couple and they said that they changed their minds. I explained that I had guaranteed the numbers with my credit card and told them they would need to pay their share. They refused, saying they “hadn’t signed anything”. They screwed me 2 ways – first by not even telling me they weren’t coming (found out from Stranger A) so I could find a replacement and then by not paying their share.

I got stuck paying for them since I had guaranteed the numbers with my credit card (and the others on the tour weren’t willing to pitch in for the No-shows)

Lesson Learned – I now collect for the tours on the first day of the cruise and anyone that doesn’t pay is no longer on the tour.

Wow, that is absolutely terrible. What rude people! You know, you were probably better off having that day without them. If they would behave in this manner to a complete stranger, then imagine how they would behave on the tour! The one thing I can tell you is that when people do stuff like this, what goes around comes around and some way or another, I'm sure they wound up having to pay for their bad behavior. I'm just sorry they victimized you.

On a Med cruise, I got sick with asthma and could not make a private tour - I really needed to spend the day doing breathing treatments, but my husband was fine so he went and paid both his and my share as well including tip because it is simply the right thing to do. Even if he had also been sick, we would have contacted the tour organizer and paid our share.

If I commit to a private tour, I go or expect to pay my share unless I find someone to take my place.

I don't set up any tours that require payment before the cruise.

Edited by dinek1

This is an excellent topic. Fortunately, I chose Joe Banana/ Italytoursharing for our tour last fall. As rjp50 and b cruise have stated, this is the best way to go. For me the last thing I want to do on a cruise is to become a bill collector and chase down deadbeats. :)

This is an excellent topic. Fortunately, I chose Joe Banana/ Italytoursharing for our tour last fall. As rjp50 and b cruise have stated, this is the best way to go. For me the last thing I want to do on a cruise is to become a bill collector and chase down deadbeats. :)

Our next cruise is France and Italy, so will definitely look at these tour operators, thanks senorbanda:)

Yes, Joe Bananas, Rome in Limo, and a few others have their sign up process such that everyone puts in their own credit card number and hence is only responsible for their own charges. Companies like these need to be supported. Hopefully other tour companies will get onboard and also adopt this system - it only works in their favor since it removes an important hurdle that faces potential organizers. I emailed one tour operator who had terrific reviews about their policy on no shows and they said they would hold the organizer responsible. Too bad for them since that policy eliminated them from consideration.

I am confused regarding your statement about Romeinlimo.

I have organized a few private tours with them, for groups of 8 through our roll call. I have never been offered the option for each member to enter their own credit card, nor do I see a "Tourshare" option on their website. They took my credit card only, and each participant paid in cash on the day of the tour.

Could you please clarify?

I believe at he beginning of the year ( I could be wrong about this). Romeinlimo spun off a site called romeinlimotoursharing.com. I think everyone who wants to sign up for a shared tour with them has to provide credit card info. I hope this helps.

Look at the page italytoursharing.com Gives u an example of shared tours and u are not going to 'lose your shirt' lol... italy toursharing is one of the first to do this aka joe bananas..I've used them for over eight tours now and they are great. I have used RIL too. They are both excellent companies but my preference is italytoursharing.com for the little things they have done in my tours over the years. In fact a driver I had for italytoursharing.com used to work at RIL. I believe the drivers are all pretty darn good and with a good company backing the, u can't go wrong.

We had a girl sick on our last tour and italytoursharing.com still let us have the eight person rate even though there was only seven.

Also, a driver made a mistake and thought lunch was not included on the tour. The fellow in the group called italytoursharing and the owner sent the driver back to the ship with the money for the food to give back. You don't even get service like that in canada, lol... That is why I highly recommend italytoursharing.com

Look at the page italytoursharing.com Gives u an example of shared tours and u are not going to 'lose your shirt' lol... italy toursharing is one of the first to do this aka joe bananas..I've used them for over eight tours now and they are great. I have used RIL too. They are both excellent companies but my preference is italytoursharing.com for the little things they have done in my tours over the years. In fact a driver I had for italytoursharing.com used to work at RIL. I believe the drivers are all pretty darn good and with a good company backing the, u can't go wrong.

We had a girl sick on our last tour and italytoursharing.com still let us have the eight person rate even though there was only seven.

Also, a driver made a mistake and thought lunch was not included on the tour. The fellow in the group called italytoursharing and the owner sent the driver back to the ship with the money for the food to give back. You don't even get service like that in canada, lol... That is why I highly recommend italytoursharing.com

Thanks for the tips on iatalytoursharing.com, will contact them immediately for next May:)

I plan a lot of private tours. There was one time that a couple of people canceled but they gave me their portion of the tour. My policy is that if you cancel you pay your share, as it's only fair to the rest of the group. We all go in expecting to pay a certain amount for the tours. If it's early enough and I can find replacements then no problem.

These days I book my tours with personal friends only. I communicate throughout the year and remind everyone of my policy of the tours.

People should be responsible adults but I guess that's not always the case.

Monica

I believe at he beginning of the year ( I could be wrong about this). Romeinlimo spun off a site called romeinlimotoursharing.com. I think everyone who wants to sign up for a shared tour with them has to provide credit card info. I hope this helps.

Yes, thank you, I found it.

I think it may be important to note the difference for those who may be thinking that Romeinlimo operates all of their tours as "tourshares" after reading some of the posts in this thread.

They do still offer the traditional private tour model with one group organizer, and fee structure based on the number booked. The group will be responsible for the total cost if anyone backs out.