Luxury cruise to cuba

cburger100

You may want to check out this thread on the Silversea board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264051 . It looks like one of their explorer ships may be there now. To my knowledge, the other main luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent and Seabourn) do not yet have cruises to Cuba.

In terms of the foreign cruise lines listed above, if they do go to Cuba, there could still be restrictions for U.S. citizens. IMO, the best way to visit Cuba is on a land trip. We have been there twice and it is definitely worth going - particularly before the gates open and it becomes a mad house there. BTW, it is fairly simple for U.S. citizens to fly to Cuba from Canada or Mexico. When entering the country that way, you are not restricted as to where you can go.

I could be wrong but believe that foreign ships have almost always been able to sail to Cuba - just as non-U.S. citizens have been able to visit the country. The question remains whether a U.S. citizen sailing on a ship like Europa 2 would have difficulties getting into Cuba.

it appears even on the Cuba Cruise by Celestyal (formally Louis) the US citizens have to do the ship's tours & pay People to People a fee now

When it was operated by Louis & Cuba Cruise they did not have that stipulation

I am thinking if US citizens go with another line it would have the same restrictions

Waiting for this opportunity...someday. Meanwhile, I think we will be booking a land-based tour to Cuba within the next 2 years. Got a couple of big trips ahead of us (Barcelona this fall and Prague/Berlin this spring) but after that Cuba is top of the list. And our interest is Cuban jazz, so we will go. But a cruise would be a great way to see several parts of the island without flying around.

I could be wrong but believe that foreign ships have almost always been able to sail to Cuba - just as non-U.S. citizens have been able to visit the country. The question remains whether a U.S. citizen sailing on a ship like Europa 2 would have difficulties getting into Cuba.

According to the April 2016-March 2017 brochure, the Europa 2 features two cruises calling at Cuba.

The relevant pages carry the following notice:

' FOR US PASSENGERS:

Before booking this cruise, it is important to obtain information about rules and regulations for travel to Cuba with the US State Department.'

Waiting for this opportunity...someday. Meanwhile, I think we will be booking a land-based tour to Cuba within the next 2 years. Got a couple of big trips ahead of us (Barcelona this fall and Prague/Berlin this spring) but after that Cuba is top of the list. And our interest is Cuban jazz, so we will go. But a cruise would be a great way to see several parts of the island without flying around.

Be sure to go when the Jazz Festival in on

In a couple of years Cuba will be ready for Americans ;)

According to the April 2016-March 2017 brochure, the Europa 2 features two cruises calling at Cuba.

The relevant pages carry the following notice:

' FOR US PASSENGERS:

Before booking this cruise, it is important to obtain information about rules and regulations for travel to Cuba with the US State Department.'

Thanks for the information. The note to U.S. passengers is specifically why we have visited there without the knowledge of the U.S. government (as many people from the U.S. do).

If/when we visit Cuba by sea, it will definitely be on a Regent ship. As many know, the CEO of Regent (Oceania and NCL) is from Cuba. I would want to see the expressions on the faces of his family and friends when he sails into a Cuban port for the first time. IMO, this is worth waiting for:)