Wheelchair assistance

sharkaymon

Due to several health issues that make standing for any length of time difficult for my husband I requested wheelchair assistance with embarkation and debarkation. We have priority boarding. Should we arrive early? My paperwork says wheel chairs are available on a first come-first served basis. How does this work, both embarking and debarking? At debarkation will he be assisted from the cabin to customs?

The paperwork says there is no curbside assistance for embarking and debarking. Who will push the wheel chair? We are traveling with BIL and SIL who do not have priority boarding. If my BIL pushes the chair can he and my SIL board when we board?

Will we catch any flak or raised eyebrows if once on board he no longer uses the wheel chair? (Not that I give a &@^> !):rolleyes:

Hi,

The wheelchair assistance in most ports works like this.

You turn up at the terminal, usually there is a "meet and greeter" either outside or just in the terminal. Tell them you have booked or need wheelchair assistance, they will then either get a wheelchair to you with someone to push or direct you to somewhere to wait for one. Depending on whether it is the new system of booking you in via iPad or you have to go to a computer terminal to book in can make it slightly different but don't worry they will sort your husband out so that he doesn't have to stand long. They are very much used to this situation and have got it off to a fine art in most cases.

The person that pushes you can be a member of the port authority staff or one of the ship's staff, being built for comfort not speed I always drop them a few quid.

Nobody will even be bothered that your husband used a wheelchair to get on the ship then not whilst on board.

Hope this helps

Pete

Hi,

The wheelchair assistance in most ports works like this.

You turn up at the terminal, usually there is a "meet and greeter" either outside or just in the terminal. Tell them you have booked or need wheelchair assistance, they will then either get a wheelchair to you with someone to push or direct you to somewhere to wait for one. Depending on whether it is the new system of booking you in via iPad or you have to go to a computer terminal to book in can make it slightly different but don't worry they will sort your husband out so that he doesn't have to stand long. They are very much used to this situation and have got it off to a fine art in most cases.

The person that pushes you can be a member of the port authority staff or one of the ship's staff, being built for comfort not speed I always drop them a few quid.

Nobody will even be bothered that your husband used a wheelchair to get on the ship then not whilst on board.

Hope this helps

Pete

True. The "no curbside service" means that you have to be able to get yourself into the terminal. Once there, they can provide wheelchair assistance to you. They will not be able to meet you at the curb with a wheelchair.

Normally, they are fantastic and very helpful.

Have a great cruise!

The wheelchairs used for boarding and disembarking are not available for use on board. They simply take a person on board a ship and then go back to pick up the next person - a sort of shuttle service.

Usually, people needing wheelchair assistance to disembark are asked to assemble in a lounge on board and they are taken on shore from there.

Yes, your relatives will be allowed to board with the person needing wheelchair assistance.

If a wheelchair is needed on board, either hire one or take your own.

I think that, if a person cannot get to the check-in area without wheelchair assistance, he/she needs a wheelchair of his/her own.

Depending on how much assistance a person needs, it could be a good idea to contact the cruise line's Special Needs department.