How Do You Pronounce "Kusadasi?"

jhannah

For those who have been there -- or otherwise know -- how do you pronounce the name of this Turkish port city?

A) Koo-sah-DAH-see

B) Koo-SAH-duh-see

B) Some other way

Thanks.

'Vegas Jim

Carefully? icon_biggrin.gif I think it's "A". ???

--------------------------

'05-Golden Princess, West. European Capitals, '04-2 wk. land cruise to Wash. State, '04-Monarch of the Seas, '04-Coral Princess, '03-Monarch of the Seas, '02-Ecstasy, '02-Adventure of the Seas, '01-Radiance of the Seas, '01-Grand Princess, '00-Grand Princess, '99-Viking Serenade, '98-Elation

Its a great question and the answer is A and B (I am serious). The last time we were in this port (our 3rd visit) this question came up on the ship. The cruise director, who was British, pronounced it "B." The American tour desk manager pronunced it "A." I asked a couple of Turks ashore, and they both told me either "A" or "B". Go figure! I think if you ask enough locals, you will get other answers.

Hank

The last time we were there it was pronounced:

KOOSE a da see which really threw us for a loop!

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Well ... a lot of help you all are! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, thanks for your input. I guess it can be whatever you want it to be, huh? If the natives say it different ways, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Thanks again.

'Vegas Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The last time we were in this port (our 3rd visit) this question came up on the ship. The cruise director, who was British, pronounced it "B." The American tour desk manager pronunced it "A." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pronounce it "A". The Brits don't know how to speak English! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Pacific Princess Oct. '95

Explorer of the Seas Nov. '03

See the Explorer Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/altajoe

Nordic Empress (Empress of the Seas) April '05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;04;11;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

AltaJoe! LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------

'05-Golden Princess, West. European Capitals, '04-2 wk. land cruise to Wash. State, '04-Monarch of the Seas, '04-Coral Princess, '03-Monarch of the Seas, '02-Ecstasy, '02-Adventure of the Seas, '01-Radiance of the Seas, '01-Grand Princess, '00-Grand Princess, '99-Viking Serenade, '98-Elation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suekay:

To add to the confusion....I've heard it's "KOOSHA DAH SEE" !!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were just there on the Star Princess a couple of weeks ago. We it pronounced suekay's way the most.

No matter how you say it, it's a great place and the people were fantastic!

I've asked the folks at Kusadasi Online for the correct pronunciation. If you're up to figuring it out for yourself, they have a guide to pronouncing Turkish, along with basic useful phrases, on their web site at http://www.******************/essentials/lessons.htm.

Vegas Jim, can I expect you to be able to speak the language fluently by the time we dock there on the Prinsendam?

--Cactuslady

Prinsendam 9/20/04 soon!

Statendam 2003

Ryndam 2002

Veendam 2002

Maasdam 2001

Dana 24 sailboat 1989-1999

[This message was edited by cactuslady on 06-16-04 at 02:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by cactuslady on 06-16-04 at 02:18 PM.]

Replace the asterisks in my last post with Kusadasionline, followed by the usual ".com". Don't know why this board refuses to show it to you.

--Cactuslady

Prinsendam 9/20/04 soon!

Statendam 2003

Ryndam 2002

Veendam 2002

Maasdam 2001

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Andrews:

Take a few shots of RAKI and it will definately improve your Turkish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the Turkish say that about English when they come to Pennsylvania on vacation.

--Cactuslady

Prinsendam 9/20/04 soon!

Statendam 2003

Ryndam 2002

Veendam 2002

Maasdam 2001

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suekay:

To add to the confusion....I've heard it's "KOOSHA DAH SEE" !!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is how the locals told me it was pronounced when I asked when we were there..

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

Well.

The folks at Kusadasi Online say: "Something like Kooshadasi." I'm sure we'll all get by.

By the way, it occurred to me that perhaps I should have referred to the people of Turkey as Turks instead of Turkish. I hope that's not a mortal sin akin to referring to a Scotsman as being Scotch instead of Scottish.

Selemat malaam, folks. (That's a rough pronunciation of "good evening" in Indonesian, which greatly impresses the dining room staff when said by a Holland America Line passenger at dinner, which, with any luck, will be lobster instead of turkey.)

--Cactuslady

Prinsendam 9/20/04 soon!

Statendam 2003

Ryndam 2002

Veendam 2002

Maasdam 2001

On our first trip to Turkey back in 1990 the Turks assumed we were British since they saw very few American tourists especially away from Istanbul. One evening in Pergamon a little kid approached us at the inn we were staying at and asked us to come join his family on the front lawn, drink some Raki and let him practice his English. When we got there we were indeed "honored guests" who were treated to their "best" Raki. We recovered the top of our heads a couple of days later......

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Am laughing hard at this thread. After a hard day at work (its always tough when getting ready for a trip) this board really makes me smile! What a great bunch of folks. And Mike, would down a few Raki (or is it Rakis with you anytime! If we ever wind up on a cruise together, they should let us be the port lecturers!

Hank

Archived