Copies of Docs/ID

byargertx

These are all personal preference/comfort zone items:

We generally make a copy of the ID page of our passports. Passport stays in safe and copy comes with us ashore if we are engaged in an activity that may cause us to miss the boat.

Photo copy of credit cards: The real purpose would be to have a list with the card number and phone number to call if the cards are lost or stolen. Also left in the safe.

Health insurance info: Who to call if services are needed and you are out of network. Who to call if you have travel insurance. Also in safe.

Recommended? Some people will tell you it is foolish not too, others will shrug and ask why bother. It's up to you.

Is it really recommended to take a photocopy of your Passport, ID, credit cards, etc. with you on the cruise?

Some do in order to have a point of reference. You could do the same thing by writing down the identifying numbers.

We have a list of all important numbers with us on our computer such as passport numbers, phone numbers to call if CC's go missing plus card numbers, insurance policy numbers and phone numbers if we have a claim, etc. Can't think of others at the moment but we try to think of all eventualities in case of an emergency or a theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I laminate a color copy of my passport page to an index card that lists:

1) Traveling companions and their cell phone numbers

2) Medical alert information (medications, allergies)

3) Emergency contact

If I were unable to speak for myself, it could make a huge difference in reuniting me with family and getting medical care.

Carry it in a money pouch. Not the elastic belt or necklace kind, but the ones that hang on your belt inside your pants. They are comfortable, discreet and would be overlooked by someone doing a search for valuables (during a mugging or stickup), but would be easily found by emergency health care personnel. I found them online for a few dollars, and they'd be easy to make for someone who can sew.

Large bills and credit cards go in the money pouch; we carry only walking-around money in our pockets. In Europe, we saw pick-pockets in action in Rome and in Barcelona... the most we risked was a few Euro.

Take a picture, and e-mail them to yourself...serves the same purpose, if you can access it via your phone. A copy will do you no good, unless you need to replace the original.

Same thing we do. We do it with the passport, credit cards, excursion, transportation, hotel confirmations, travel insurance. The originals stay in the safe on the ship. Easy, convenient and an added layer of insurance that nothing goes wrong.

We definitely take copies of our passports with us & leave originals in the safe. My parents also have copies of our passports just in case.......

We don't take pics with our phones......we don't even take our phones with us off the ship. That would just be one more thing we have to worry about losing.

I take a photocopy of my passport and put extra copies of important docs and excursion tickets in my checked luggage. I also create a PDF of all documents and trip information and have that in my email in case I need to access it.

One thing I would NEVER do would be to make a photocopy of my credit cards or write down the credit card number. I see this recommended on these boards all the time and I don't know why because it is so dangerous. I think someone would be much more likely to misplace or accidentally throw away the copy of their credit card than to actually lose their credit card or have it stolen. I do write down the contact number for the credit card company, but that is it.