Seattle Pier 91 question!!!!

theriac

So I'm cruising to Alaska in June and am flying into Seattle 2 days early to explore that city and take in as much as I can. My question is pertaining to security at the port for embarkation. I'm not planning on smuggling or bringing anything illegal on board. However I would like to partake in some of Seattles newly legalized recreations(I think you know what I mean, MON). My question is that the odor from these particular recreations can linger and I don't want to walk through security and have a customs/port authority agent and/or K9 be triggered by the smell and pull me off to the side and do a rather (in my mind) nefarious and deeply intimate/personal search. Again I have nothing to be worried about because I won't be bringing anything not allowed with me(i'm a stickler about smuggling now). I'm just curious if the K9s are sniffing you on your way in to alert the officers because again I just don't want to experience a traumatic body search before I cruise the last frontier.

I'm not trying to get flamed or told don't do it because I'm curious how it's all set up and what the product is(it has been years since I last experienced this form of recreation and that was in Amsterdam). I just would like to go get a brownie the morning of and eat before I get to the cruise terminal, but if I'm going to have to undergo an intrusive search(I understand and get why there done, just don't want it to be done to me) then I will just pass on this opportunity.

Thank you all in advance, and please speak from experience with that Pier/Terminal whether you did what I'm wondering or not I just would like to know how it is getting through security.

Again thank you all so much.

You are correct in your plan to enjoy our newly-legal substances while you're in Seattle (and when you go ashore in Alaska, as of this week!), and leave them off the ship. If you are out on navigable U.S. waterways, federal law is enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard, and federal still says it's a no-no (source: Seattle P-I Pot Blog: Is marijuana legal out on Puget Sound, and other local waterways?") U.S. Customs likewise enforces federal law, not the state's, and they have no sense of humor whatsoever about such things.

As for whether they actually have drug-sniffing dogs at the piers--I've never heard of it, but I suppose it's possible. I haven't left on a cruise from Seattle in a long time, so maybe somebody with more recent experience can answer that.

(And be careful with edibles, especially if you haven't partaken in a while. Some of them are VERY potent and could make your sailing a lot stranger than you planned. If in doubt, ask the bud-tender (yes, that's what they're called) at the store to recommend something good for a less-experienced user, and don't scarf it all down at once until you see what it does.)

Have a nice ride!

Thanks, I was just curious about the dogs because I've seen them here at the ports in FL checking luggage after the cruise ended and also just walking around while waiting to check in. I knew it couldn't be had in the water and also on the ship(saw a teen get caught and family was booted of at the next port two years ago). I was really just concerned I partake in the good times morning of departure and the dog picks up the scent, alerts and i deal with customs for an hour ruining my buzz instead of on the lido eating some munchies while drinking a nice Pacific North West craft brew. That's the last way I want to start my vacation, especially since im bringing my dad and getting to explain what happened while high. Even as an adult and taking your parent on a vacation there's certain conversations that just never need to happen regardless how good our relationship is!

Its legal in AK but one cant go and purchase it from a shop or anyone else for that matter, yet, so I'd still just have to find some guy on the street to to sell me something. Which will unfortunately take away time from my whale watching and mendenhall excursions I have planned. However i could ask the whale watching captain/deckhand or tour bus driver. Im looking foraward to this trip though

Sailed from San Pedro, California in January this year. There was a beautiful golden dog waiting on the promenade deck which you had to pass before entering the ship and yes he was working. He had no interest in me at all. Best way.

It was on the ship? I've never seen that before. Only dog I've seen on board was a service dog for a handicapped woman. Thanks for the information something to consider. I'm hoping someone who cruised recently can let me know or someone whose done what I'm considering.

Sailed from San Pedro, California in January this year. There was a beautiful golden dog waiting on the promenade deck which you had to pass before entering the ship and yes he was working. He had no interest in me at all. Best way.

Yep. We had the same experience in San Pedro. Beautiful Lab on the Grand's Promenade deck.

The bomb dogs are the Belgians and shepherds.

In port you never want the dog to sit next to you, lol.

Also spoke with a dog handler onboard prior to sailing out of L.A. who was working a Brittany Spaniel bomb dog.

If the dogs are trained to sniff out explosives and firearms' date=' they probably won't alert on a little bit of cannabis in your body (I can't find a really reputable source confirming that, but I did find a lot of anecdotal reports and claims that the dogs are generally only trained to alert on one thing: explosives, or drugs).

Here's what the TSA (a federal agency) told the Seattle P-I about how they handle finding small amounts of marijuana at their airport checkpoints:

"TSA’s focus is on terrorism and security threats to the aircraft and its passengers.

"TSA’s screening procedures, which are governed by federal law, are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers. As has always been the case, if during the security screening procedures an officer discovers an item that may violate the law, TSA refers the matter to law enforcement. Law enforcement officials will determine whether to initiate a criminal investigation."

And, the P-I continues "Since simple possession is not a crime in Washington, the Port’s police cannot request that you be charged with it. And that would go for any other public transportation facility owned by a Washington city, county or the state itself."

And the Port of Seattle owns the cruise ship piers, so...you're probably okay!

Here's a mind-blowing idea: just call the Port and ask them. There's no reason for them not to tell you! Marijuana is legal here--you're not revealing any law-breaking intent by saying you plan to buy and consume some while you're in Washington. They can tell you if anybody who enforces federal drug laws is going to be sniffing around at the pier. If they say there won't be, you're probably safe unless you board the ship with some (and I don't think having it in your belly will count!)

(Do note that our airport procedures are different from Colorado--there, you're specifically prohibited from possessing marijuana at the airports.)