Guernsey on your own

My deepest thanks to all of you! I am feeling better about getting off the ship early and perhaps being able to catch the first bus. You were also a wealth of information as to where to sit depending on the bus number I get on. Thank you, thank you! I would really like to see more of the island if possible. And, if there are crowds to board the bus, we will just take in your wonderful town and the surrounding area we can walk to. We are definitely flexible. I really appreciate your responses!

Connie

Enjoy Connie. Just beware of one thing...once you get a taste, you'll want to return!

Just this morning I made a booking for a 4 night stay next June, and I'm plotting the return trip to come hopefully a year later. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

The 92 goes around the island anti clockwise and the 91 clockwise. Depending on whether you want to look inland or the beaches when you get to the west coast you may want to plan accordingly.

Nigel

Thanks everyone for the good ideas.

I read all the posts and have a few questions

a) not much talk of the 1 day pass. where to we get this.

b) I hat to say this, but sometimes, tourist tend to act like sheep.

there has to be more then 1 bus stop.

I don't really care if I go #91 or #92. I just want to hedge my bets on the shortest line.

Is there one line that usually gets longer while the other goes "un-noticed".

Or how fare to walk to the stop "before" the cruise port to avoid the line ?

Thanks for your help.

I don't really care if I go #91 or #92. I just want to hedge my bets on the shortest line.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

a) You should be able to purchase the 1 day pass at the "Bus Information Kiosk" which is alongside where the majority of the buses leave.

b) The #91 and #92 leave from the same stop, there is usually just one line, and people embark on the first bus that appears.

It is not far to walk to the stop before the cruise port, however most passengers disembark at the terminus/cruise port, hence it would seem strange for you to be still onboard at this time. Worth a try though.

Looking at a cruise spending Sunday in Guernsey - assuming no shops will be open, will there be anything open in St Peter Port?

There will be some shops open, but it will be a minority. I would suggest the round the island bus, or a visit to places such as the Little Chapel, Castle Cornet and Victor Hugo's house. The tourist board's website is http://www.visitguernsey.gg which will have many other ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help.

Hi

a) You should be able to purchase the 1 day pass at the "Bus Information Kiosk" which is alongside where the majority of the buses leave.

b) The #91 and #92 leave from the same stop, there is usually just one line, and people embark on the first bus that appears.

It is not far to walk to the stop before the cruise port, however most passengers disembark at the terminus/cruise port, hence it would seem strange for you to be still onboard at this time. Worth a try though.

To add a little to Guernseycruiser's note, this link should show you the town terminus. If it loads the same as it does on my computer, the bullseye is just about on top of the information kiosk.

http://binged.it/1LGwc4h

You can see the buses in the queue at the bottom of the image and a few spread out nose to tail which are at the actual stops at the terminus.

The kiosk is also a good place to buy stamps if you want to post something from Guernsey.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Guernsey on Liberation Day. From those of you in the know, should we stay in town and enjoy the opportunity to share in the festivities in hopes that we will return one day, or try to see as much as reasonably possible outside of town on this visit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We will be in Guernsey on Liberation Day. From those of you in the know, should we stay in town and enjoy the opportunity to share in the festivities in hopes that we will return one day, or try to see as much as reasonably possible outside of town on this visit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I think that staying in town would be great! I lived on the island for 10 years. There is probably a web site for the event that you could check out.

Edited by pzbz

Yes, I had checked that out, but note the stated agenda is for the 2015 70th Anniversary celebration which may have been beyond what is normally done to celebrate this event.

Thanks for mentioning that, I did note that the website was for last year but thought it might give an idea of what may be offered. As you say, 2016 may well be less elaborate.

Thanks for mentioning that, I did note that the website was for last year but thought it might give an idea of what may be offered. As you say, 2016 may well be less elaborate.

2015 was the 70th anniversary of liberation from occupation and was a "special" Liberation Day with parades and a Royal Visit. Every 5 years tends to be a special one with more parades.

A "normal" Liberation day consists of early morning running races, church parade, closing the sea front to traffic and some entertainment on the piers.

My advice would be to see/do on the island what you would like to do first and then if you have time enjoy the entertainment etc later in the afternoon.

This year was different and we were in town in the morning and for the parades and helicopter fly-bys, a good day.

My mother was in the island for the occupation and she never spoke about it, my father was evacuated to England.

Hope this is helpful.

Nigel