Sunny Liston or Godfrey tour?

BubMunkeyBles

We get into St Thomas and are in port from 7-5. I was planning on taking Sunny, but his tour arrives back at port it says between 4 and 4:30. Anyone know if that will be an issue? Because I'm a little worried. Although I've never heard of anyone missing their boat.

Anyone done both? Which is the better tour? Both have great reviews.

• 1 month later...

We are currently booked with a Godfrey tour, but have seen so many positive posts for Sunny Liston also. In posts from earlier years, a few people mentioned Sunny had problems with his speakers on his bus and clarity. Is this still a concern or has it changed over the years? My husband and I love the idea of an upbeat, fun, party tour, but we also want to be able to understand the information being conveyed. Both tours are responsible and stick to their schedules and get you back to the ships on time, correct? Any information or comparisons would be very appreciated.

We booked Sunny for our 17 person wedding cruise party in May 2010 - In fact, we're featured on his website in multiple photos - still neary 2 years later!

Yes, he plays loud music, but will tone/turn it down if you ask. He is a party and a half, and FUN! So very nice and personable too.

If you want quiet, calm, slow...Sunny is probably not for you.

For reasons that remain unclear, Godfrey won't take his customers to Sapphire Beach. Not sure if Liston is willing to do so, or sticks by majority rules.

Sunny is willing to drop off at Sapphire - at least according to my reservation and email.

Recent report of Sapphire beach are quite good - not sure why Godfrey is no longer going there?

I would highly recommend Sunny! I took his tour back in September. We chose not to include the beach in our tour and were back at the ship around 3. Sunny plays music and we saw people on other tours looking bored, like they wanted to be on our bus. You can't go wrong with him! I have lots of pictures and a complete review of our day in the Valor review in my signature. If you'd like to read, skip to page 6 and start at post #103. Hopefully this helps!

Edited by gapearl

I would highly recommend Sunny! I took his tour back in September. We chose not to include the beach in our tour and were back at the ship around 3. Sunny plays music and we saw people on other tours looking bored, like they wanted to be on our bus. You can't go wrong with him! I have lots of pictures and a complete review of our day in the Valor review in my signature. If you'd like to read, skip to page 6 and start at post #103. Hopefully this helps!

You are absolutely right! 1st time we toured with Godfrey - which don't get me wrong is an excellent tour....but when we saw the Sunny Liston group hopping and bopping by I made a mental note to try that out.....everyone looked like they were having so much fun! :)

Next time we visited STT we had our 3 kids with us (ages 21, 16 and 9 at the time) and booked the Sunny Liston tour - of course the kids loved it (still talk about it) and we really enjoyed the 'upbeat' atmosphere. Guess it depends on what you are looking for?

Going to be in STT in a couple of weeks and have booked Sunny again - going with a 'cruise virgin' and I hope she enjoys the ride! (and yes we may try to get to paradise point later in the day if time permits!)

Edited by Froufie

• 2 weeks later...

I have done Godfreys tour and loved it. He gives you a talk about the Island and its history. So I would say it is more of a narrated tour. Sonny's is more of a loud music type drive around and look at scenery. So really just depends on what you want.

I'm back - had a great time on the Liberty - and enjoyed our tour. We actually did not tour with Sunny (his van broke down so there was some 'sharing' with other tour operators?) I believe we headed downtown with Godfrey for our shopping time then picked up by Elvis who works for Sunny!

While there was some 'music' and singing some of the participants were a bit older and I guess unaware of the 'atmosphere' on this tour? But we sang along and had a great time! Sapphire beach was gorgeous...will be posting pics and review in the next week or so!

We just got back from our St. Thomas tour as well....we ended up with Sunny as our guide and we had fun. The usually reserved hubby was singing along and really enjoying himself. Sunny offered to drop us off at either Coki, Sapphire, or Magen's beaches. Only a few groups were using the full tour with the beach time, so we agreed to Sapphire. Had we each wanted different beaches, Sunny said he would let us do both. It was totally open to discussion/change. I wouldn't stress about the beach part at all. Sapphire was beautiful. The ducks that would come up to you while you sat in your lounger were cute. Didn't see any iguanas or a whole lot of fish, but the scenery itself was gorgeous.

One thing I did notice, which I thought was kinda bad....NO ONE else tipped this guy. We did, and he kinda just shook his head at watching the others vanish. They would step off the bus and make a run for it. :eek:

I know tips are not a requirement, but jeeze man. He would stop to take pictures of folks for them, stop the bus when he saw something interesting and let folks take pictures, etc. Shame.

Edited by Jayfo

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if I booked the same Godrey Tour that you all speak so highly of based on the recommendations here. Yes he was nice but nice doesn't make a tour memorable. We thought his tour was the worst of all the tours we did during the week. We couldn't see the sights due to the arch/edge of the roof on the open air bus obstructing our view. When he got to a sight to spotlight he would stop but it would be in front of trees so you couldn't get a picture or he would roll at a slow speek which makes for a blurry picture. The other thing I did not care for was that he is in the cab, so if we had questions he could not hear us to answer them. Most of the tour was him talking and no one really paying much attention. On a positive note, he was punctual and returned us to the ship on time. I would NOT recommend nor use him again in the future.

I wonder if I booked the same Godrey Tour that you all speak so highly of based on the recommendations here. Yes he was nice but nice doesn't make a tour memorable. We thought his tour was the worst of all the tours we did during the week. We couldn't see the sights due to the arch/edge of the roof on the open air bus obstructing our view. When he got to a sight to spotlight he would stop but it would be in front of trees so you couldn't get a picture or he would roll at a slow speek which makes for a blurry picture. The other thing I did not care for was that he is in the cab, so if we had questions he could not hear us to answer them. Most of the tour was him talking and no one really paying much attention. On a positive note, he was punctual and returned us to the ship on time. I would NOT recommend nor use him again in the future.

Maybe you weren't on the same tour. When he stopped at any lookouts or other places, he let anyone off that wanted to take pictures. He had a huge cooler on the back of vehicle full of water and different kinds of pop. He asked what kind we wanted and while we were shopping in town he went and bought it. He isn't responsible for people talking and not paying attention. His speakers were loud and clear so you could hear everything he was saying. We stayed ar Magens bay around 15 minutes so everyone could take all the pictures we wanted. He did the same at Coki beach.

I have done Godfreys tour and loved it. He gives you a talk about the Island and its history. So I would say it is more of a narrated tour. Sonny's is more of a loud music type drive around and look at scenery. So really just depends on what you want.

I suspect boaterette is exactly correct. Although we've not gone with Godfrey, we've gone with Sunny three separate times. The first on our own and the last two because each time we were cruising with friends who had heard about him and really wanted to try it. It definitely can be fun and very upbeat but that does seem to depend on who is on the tour. On our first two times, the group was really singing along with Sunny and having a hoot! The 3rd time, however, there was a much more reserved group and that made a difference. Sunny tried to "pump us up" but to little success. Also, Sunny doesn't seem to go into the history of the islands or do much more than point out some of the sights. It's very much a music, sun and fun sort of tour. Great for what it is. But, if you want to learn more about St. Thomas or the other US Virgin Islands, another tour may be your best bet.

• 2 years later...

We just returned from our cruise May 3, 2014. We did our homework and couldn't wait for the party to start with Sunny Liston Tours! At the dock everyone scurried to get on their tours, there was no Sunny Liston Tour to meet us or to be found. Once "Elvis" found us...there were details that could have made things flow more smoothly. Such as whom was being picked up (names of patrons, who already paid, who needed to pay and how much), there were missing people, seemed like excuse after excuse. Everyone has a bad day....and this trip wasn't what we expected. After we were left blocks from where we were to be dropped due to "holiday", Elvis returned with those missing people causing a crammed seating situation and general discontentment amongst the passengers. Compared to Bernard's Tours in St Maartin which I would highly recommend, pass on Sunny Liston and go with Godfrey (which is what we will do if we go back).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just beware that tour operators sometimes share or rearrange passenger bookings. We booked Godfrey after reading so many positive recommendations for our St Thomas day last week. Arrived at the meeting point, no signs as we were directed to look for Finally asked another tour operator who called Godfrey for us. We were instructed to wait, then told after 15 minutes that we were being rebooked onto a sunny liston tour with "elvis." The business card we were given listed both sunny liston and godfrey tours so they must be associated or doing business together in some way. The tour was ok. I could have skipped the downtown shopping all togther as st thomas was our final and 5th port of the cruise and all the shops were repeats and the vendors were pushy. Wasnt impressed by sapphire beach either, the banana daiquiri at mountaintop was my favorite part!

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI:

I decided Godfrey was the right tour operator for us (thanks, CC!). I used the online booking form, and five days passed without hearing anything. I booked fairly last minute, so emailed them yesterday using the address listed on their site and someone got back to me within 24 hours. They said they didn't get my request from the website (and apologized). So, if don't hear back after using the form, you might want to follow up by email.

Will report back on our experience. We've done a few things on St. Thomas and St. John before, but have never felt we got a good grasp of the island. So, this time a tour sounded like a good plan.