Sydney hotel for a week before our cruise

Plant

If you've got the Hyatt points the park hyatt on the rocks is unbeatable. 3 days this feb. was not long enough

I agree with that, but if you are paying cash the price us just crazy.

• 2 months later...

(This is what happens when you book WAY early!:)) I've now found the York on (surprisingly!) York Street. It get's good reviews and seems, pricewise, on par (or a little less expensive) with the Meriton's (Pitt Street and Kent Street). The review's say it's within walking distance of Circular Quay and The Rocks.

Any opinions would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Fern

(This is what happens when you book WAY early!:)) I've now found the York on (surprisingly!) York Street. It get's good reviews and seems, pricewise, on par (or a little less expensive) with the Meriton's (Pitt Street and Kent Street). The review's say it's within walking distance of Circular Quay and The Rocks.

Thanks,

Fern

The York is OK, personally I think Meriton is nicer.

Walking distance? not for me anyway.

Kent and York run parallel with Clarence in between.

I "think" York is probably the closer of the two, and a few years ago would have said walkable, not anymore, especially with baggage.

Since ya'll are giving opinions, how do you feel about the Intercontinental on the harbour?

I have stayed there many times. I find it to be an excellent hotel in an excellent location--walkable to Circular Quay, the Rocks, the CBD and, if you don't mind a long walk, Darling Harbour.

A week in Sydney! Nice!

If it was me, I would choose a serviced apartment (as has been recommended by others).

With that amount of time, you may want to consider getting out of the city to the surrounds. Some examples:

Manly (a simple 30 minute ferry trip)

Wollongong (about an hour on the train, fabulous beach and near the blowhole at Kiama)

Blue Mountains (about two hours away - Mossvale, Fitzroy falls etc)

Canberra (3 hours away - my home town and the nation's capital)

I am just mentioning these in case you want to do some research and perhaps stay in more than one place during your week.

:)

Thanks,

Fern

We'll I've walked from CQ back to the Meriton on Kent (via Macquarie St and Hyde Park) but given the choice I'd walk the less than one block to Town Hall Station and jump on a train to CQ - it's 5 mins and trains are really frequent...

For me, I would put a room with a harbour view over other factors. Seeing all those ships really puts you in the mood for your cruise and Sydney is renowned as one of the world's most spectacular harbours. You will pay extra but imagine waking up to see your ship come in.

For me, I would put a room with a harbour view over other factors. Seeing all those ships really puts you in the mood for your cruise and Sydney is renowned as one of the world's most spectacular harbours. You will pay extra but imagine waking up to see your ship come in.

That view of "Ship Coming in" is why I keep going back to Holiday INn the night before my cruise.

I emailed a few serviced apartment hotels to see if we could get a (very) early check-in. Every flight we've looked at from the US get's into Sydney around 6 AM :eek:. The only response I got was from the Meriton, Kent Street, from a nice person named Jesse. I appreciate that reply and will lean toward booking there. We'd have to book (and pay) for the night before, but considering my debilitating jet lag it would be worth it!

I really just wanted to stress how much communication means to most of us. If you have a "Contact Us" link, answer emails!

JMO,

I emailed a few serviced apartment hotels to see if we could get a (very) early check-in. Every flight we've looked at from the US get's into Sydney around 6 AM :eek:. The only response I got was from the Meriton, Kent Street, from a nice person named Jesse. I appreciate that reply and will lean toward booking there. We'd have to book (and pay) for the night before, but considering my debilitating jet lag it would be worth it!

I really just wanted to stress how much communication means to most of us. If you have a "Contact Us" link, answer emails!

JMO,

Failure to respond to "contact us" seems pretty common, I've been trying to buy I pen from the USA after postage details, no answer, go figure.

JMO,

No chance of a bit of kip on the flight? We flew to Oz via LAX last year on a late night flight and I even surprised myself that I managed to stack some zeds (zees???). Also while your flight may arrive at 6:00, but immigration, bags, customs and getting to the hotel will wipe some time off the clock...

The Meriton has luggage storage facilities and I'd look at popping along to CQ and going to chill in the Botanical Gardens with a spot of lunch at the Opera House (or The Rocks) until the apt. is ready. If you like coffee and need a shot of Joe, Sydney is up there with Vancouver as a coffee drinker's nirvana.

• 5 weeks later...
No chance of a bit of kip on the flight? We flew to Oz via LAX last year on a late night flight and I even surprised myself that I managed to stack some zeds (zees???). Also while your flight may arrive at 6:00, but immigration, bags, customs and getting to the hotel will wipe some time off the clock...

The Meriton has luggage storage facilities and I'd look at popping along to CQ and going to chill in the Botanical Gardens with a spot of lunch at the Opera House (or The Rocks) until the apt. is ready. If you like coffee and need a shot of Joe, Sydney is up there with Vancouver as a coffee drinker's nirvana.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at sleeping on a flight :(. I've even tried "drugs", but they didn't help. My brain seems to think that I should be awake to "help fly the plane" :eek:!

We've now booked our flight and will definitely be arriving at 6:05 AM. The Meriton's suggested that I book the night before to be sure of a room early in the morning. Since we'll be staying for 6 nights I thought we MIGHT get a break, but maybe not.

I've just found the Waldorf in South Sydney. It's very reasonably priced, but would it cost us big $$ to get to The Rocks and the Taronga Zoo?

I really appreciate Aussie opinions, thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at sleeping on a flight :(. I've even tried "drugs", but they didn't help. My brain seems to think that I should be awake to "help fly the plane" :eek:!

We've now booked our flight and will definitely be arriving at 6:05 AM. The Meriton's suggested that I book the night before to be sure of a room early in the morning. Since we'll be staying for 6 nights I thought we MIGHT get a break, but maybe not.

I've just found the Waldorf in South Sydney. It's very reasonably priced, but would it cost us big $$ to get to The Rocks and the Taronga Zoo?

I really appreciate Aussie opinions, thanks!

It's not the best part of Sydney, but probably save you a bit.

You will be close to central station so only a couple of $ for the train to Circular Quay for The Rocks or Ferry to the Zoo.

It's not the best part of Sydney, but probably save you a bit.

You will be close to central station so only a couple of $ for the train to Circular Quay for The Rocks or Ferry to the Zoo.

Thank you so much for this and all the other post's you've made to help me and other's who are coming to Sydney! I went a little crazy this afternoon (info overload!) and booked the Meriton Kent Street. I got so tired of trying to find the "best" deal! I can still cancel and book something else, but I think I'll just let it go... . :).

Now to find another thing to worry about!

Edited by Plant

Thank you so much for this and all the other post's you've made to help me and other's who are coming to Sydney! I went a little crazy this afternoon (info overload!) and booked the Meriton Kent Street. I got so tired of trying to find the "best" deal! I can still cancel and book something else, but I think I'll just let it go... . :).

Now to find another thing to worry about!

I doubt you'll regret that one.

• 2 weeks later...

We're still booked at the Meriton Kent Street :).

Now I'd like to know, approximately, how much it would cost to take a taxi from the Sydney Airport to the Kent Street Meriton and from the hotel to the port (Emerald Princess).

(We're not comfortable enough to take a train from the airport and then walk to the hotel.)

Are there any shuttle service's that would go from the airport to the Meriton Kent Street?

We've taken some shuttle's in other places that went from the airport to many area's. Is this kind of shuttle available?

Thanks!

We're still booked at the Meriton Kent Street :).

Now I'd like to know, approximately, how much it would cost to take a taxi from the Sydney Airport to the Kent Street Meriton and from the hotel to the port (Emerald Princess).

(We're not comfortable enough to take a train from the airport and then walk to the hotel.)

Are there any shuttle service's that would go from the airport to the Meriton Kent Street?

We've taken some shuttle's in other places that went from the airport to many area's. Is this kind of shuttle available?

Thanks!

Taxi $50-60 bucks, I'm probably over estimating, but peak hour traffic can add to it.

Last year we caught a cab from The Grace in Kent Street to the OPT (where you will leave from, The Overseas Passenger Terminal, The Rocks) and got change from $10.

There will be shuttles, shoot Meriton an email, they may even have their own. We don't fly much so can't help further on that one.

• 3 months later...

Seems one or two posters here have stayed in Holiday Inn at the Rocks. I notice on HI web site that they have a self-laundry facility. Has anyone used this facility and was it satisfactory? How many washing machines, dryers and at what cost per use? A stay at this hotel seems to cost considerably less than Meriton, (we are 3 adults and would need a 2 bedroom suite at Meriton.)

Seems one or two posters here have stayed in Holiday Inn at the Rocks. I notice on HI web site that they have a self-laundry facility. Has anyone used this facility and was it satisfactory? How many washing machines, dryers and at what cost per use? A stay at this hotel seems to cost considerably less than Meriton, (we are 3 adults and would need a 2 bedroom suite at Meriton.)

I'm one who stays there frequently, usually the night before our cruise, didn't know they had a laundry, so can't help sorry.

I will look next time I'm there.

I'm one who stays there frequently, usually the night before our cruise, didn't know they had a laundry, so can't help sorry.

I will look next time I'm there.

Thank you. When are you planning on being there next?

After more searching it seems we can get a 1-bedroom suite with in-suite laundry at a few other places for close to the cost of a room at HI. May be a bit more convenient to have the washer/dryer in-suite....that way I can do laundry in my pj's, if I feel so inclined :D