Gaudi's La Pedrera OR Casa Batllo?

Hi there,

My family and I will be visiting Barcelona in May before our Western Med cruise and will probably only have time/$$ to pay entrance fee for either La Pedrera (15E per person) or Casa Batllo (18.15E per person) - which is the better value? We don't mind looking at the outside of the other one as they're near each other, but which do you all recommend as being more interesting and worth visiting inside and the roof?

We visited the inside of La Pedrera but only saw Casa Batllo from the outside, so I can't answer your comparative question. But I can say that the roof of La Pedrera was fun, and also gives you an interesting view of La Sagrada Familia across town. I also enjoyed seeing the preserved, period apartment that was open for the tour. (This was two years ago, you'd want to check that this is still the case.)

I hope that someone who has visited both buildings inside can help you with your comparative question.

Bottom line, though, this is all very subjective. (And every time I think about these places I am reminded of a comment I read right here on Cruise Critic when I was researching our Med cruise: "A little Gaudi goes a long way." :))

Have a great trip!

Thank you, that's still very helpful! I was leaning towards La Pedrera as well, simply because the entrance fee is a bit less than Casa Batllo and I read about the crazy chimneys on the roof.

To me, walking around the fantastic chimneys made me feel as though I were on the board of a larger than life chess set. :)

MedCruise2010279.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We visited both sights. La Pedrera allows a more thorough visit through several floors of the building and has a small, nice museum on one of the top floors (showcasing a neat model of the interior of the structure). The "vertigo inducing" rooftop artwork is more interesting as well.

Casa Batlo is more colorful and looks pretty from the outside especially in the evening when the lights shine on the "dragon bone" balconies. The rooftop is flatter and the colorful tiles have faded slightly so it is not as dramatic as it may have once been. There is a back patio that has some tilework as well.

Having said that, if I had time for only one, I would choose La Pedrera.

• 2 weeks later...
We visited both sights. La Pedrera allows a more thorough visit through several floors of the building and has a small, nice museum on one of the top floors (showcasing a neat model of the interior of the structure). The "vertigo inducing" rooftop artwork is more interesting as well.

Casa Batlo is more colorful and looks pretty from the outside especially in the evening when the lights shine on the "dragon bone" balconies. The rooftop is flatter and the colorful tiles have faded slightly so it is not as dramatic as it may have once been. There is a back patio that has some tilework as well.

Having said that, if I had time for only one, I would choose La Pedrera.

Oh noooo!

On my daughter's recommendation (she had seen both) we went to Batllo. I really loved it. I would love to go back, but now I also have to go to La Pedrera :eek:

We saw La Pedrera! Roof is fantastic and the Gaudi designed furniture is fab! We only saw Casa Batilo from the outside-it is beautiful but after La Pedrera we did not feel the need to go in. Good luck with your choice!

Oh noooo!

On my daughter's recommendation (she had seen both) we went to Batllo. I really loved it. I would love to go back, but now I also have to go to La Pedrera :eek:

And I should have added that although we visited in the middle of July when Barcelona was full of tourists, we got to Casa Batllo early in the morning, just as it was opening. That meant that the rooms were fairly empty and I think that made the viewing much more pleasant. As we left, the queue to get in really was building up.

I know that not everyone can plan a trip so they do hit opening hours, but if you can, it could make for an even better experience.

really you can't go wrong with either one - it's even better if you can do both and you might be surprised:) They are very close to each other and worth every penny of admittance:D However, if I had to choose - I guess, La Predrera. Luckily, I did both - and don't regret it one bit:)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post an update now that I'm back from the cruise! We chose to do Casa Mila/La Pedrera as the one admission and I bought tickets online in advance, which worked fine but the line wasn't super-long either. We loved touring the building, especially the roof and attic area with tons of info on Gaudi and his designs/buildings. The period apartment was just okay for me, but my Mom loved it. We thought it was a great value for our money and appreciate all the recommendations.

We walked by Casa Battlo, but didn't pay to enter. It was very nice on the outside, but doesn't have as much to see inside from what we understand.

• 3 weeks later...
La Pedrera's roof is amazing but Casa Batlo is fabulous inside! I want to see both again! I have never seen anything like the creativity of Gaudi. You need to see both!

I second this! Don't discount the beauty of Casa Batlo. It is a truly awesome structure.

Archived