Melbourne airport: Drive or take Skybus?

jarand

At the end of our Australia/NZ trip, we will be renting a car and traveling some of the surrounding areas near Melbourne before ending up in the Melbourne CBD for a few days. I'm considering returning the car before the Melbourne CBD stay, then using the Skybus and hotel shuttle to and from the airport. I don't see that we'll use the car at all during those days. Cost-wise it's about even, with parking expenses offset by the Skybus return trip cost.

My question is about the advisability of driving to the airport on our final morning vs. the Skybus trip. Is Skybus frequent and reliable? About how long does it take from the Southern Cross station? If we were to drive, would there be much of a risk of getting stuck in traffic on a weekday morning? (We will be flying on either Virgin or JetStar to Sydney where we'll catch our international flight.)

Thanks so much.

At the end of our Australia/NZ trip, we will be renting a car and traveling some of the surrounding areas near Melbourne before ending up in the Melbourne CBD for a few days. I'm considering returning the car before the Melbourne CBD stay, then using the Skybus and hotel shuttle to and from the airport. I don't see that we'll use the car at all during those days. Cost-wise it's about even, with parking expenses offset by the Skybus return trip cost.

My question is about the advisability of driving to the airport on our final morning vs. the Skybus trip. Is Skybus frequent and reliable? About how long does it take from the Southern Cross station? If we were to drive, would there be much of a risk of getting stuck in traffic on a weekday morning? (We will be flying on either Virgin or JetStar to Sydney where we'll catch our international flight.)

Thanks so much.

The Skybus is frequent and reliable. The trip takes 20 mins (maybe 30 mins peakhour).

http://www.skybus.com.au/timetables/

Thanks so much.

Skybus - or even a taxi - stress less.

I would say take the bus as well as parking a car around the CBD is horrendous.

Also, give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport on the Skybus. It uses the same freeway as other cars and has no special bus lanes, and traffic can be very heavy in the mornings heading to the airport.

In reasonable traffic, the trip from the city to the airport should be 20 minutes but in heavy traffic, allow 40 minutes.

All good answers above. If I understand you correctly, you plan on returning the car to the rental agency at the airport (where you picked it up from) and then catching the skybus back into town to spend your last few days before heading home.

Most of the car rental agencies have locations in an around Melbourne city centre and I'm assuming you're staying in the city or close to.

If that's the case then this might work for you - Why not drop your bags at the hotel, and then drop the car at the city location of the car rental agency. You could then walk, tram or cab it back to your hotel. Just check with the car rental firm if there's any penalty for dropping it off at a different location than from where you picked it up. It shouldn't be a problem - I know I've done something similar in Sydney.

And then at the end of your holiday, cab or skybus to airport.

I could be wrong but does the sky bus actually pick up and drop off at your Hotel or does it have centralised pick up/drop off points and you have to lug your bags to the pick up point? This might not bother you or I might have it wrong. Maybe others can confirm if sky bus does do actual hotel pickups.

We have always used a Taxi for airport to CBD and reverse, it costs more but its so convenient and direct with no other stops. I guess it depends if you prefer convenience or saving $.

Notice that the O.P. is from the USA. If you are going to drive on Australian roads please remember that here in Oz we drive on the "correct" side of the road ... A.K.A. the left side. I wish you the very best driving around Melbourne and surrounds. LOL we don't have "peak hour" here - it's bumper to bumper all day and night. Have fun. :o

Skybus is regular and a good service in Melbourne. It also goes to some hotels, so you may not have to go to Spencer Street station.

If you have done yor driving beforehand, ditch the car and use public transport around the city. Good train and tram services. Even catch a ferry to Williamstown and wave to me.

Depending upon your timing, morning entry to the airport can be very time consuming with only one main entry road. I have been in the queue for 45 minutes at times.

I flew out on Monday morning and had the taxi driver drop me at the arrivals level. Fewer cars and much quicker. From the city a taxi is about $75.

Edited by Docker123

I work at the airport and I would personally take a taxi from the city ( even if it is additional cost). The skybus runs every 10-20 mins from Southern cross Station. This may not be central to your hotel. The skybus takes the freeway which can get very congested during peak business hours. I believe the current rate is $18 one way per person. It drops you off at Terminal 3 ( virgin terminal). If you fly out with jetstar you will need to make your way to Terminal 1 (other end of the airport to the skybus drop off). Not a long walk about 5 mins.

I believe the taxi is an easier option. They can take a different route if the freeway is congested. They can pick you up and drop you off in your exact destination. Unless you are staying near Southern Cross you will need to take a taxi, tram, hotel shuttle or train to the station. Unless you are keen I would not suggest walking from the CBD or even southbank with luggage. Its the end of your wonderful holiday so a stress free option the the airport is a better way to end your holiday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Edited by xxpinksaltxx