Naples to FCO

lifeasme123

Last time we tried to use our Hilton points at FCO it was not available.

The Hilton Garden Inn was available. We were very happy with it. As per above they have a shuttle and it is very close by.

If you really want the Hilton the other option is to call the front desk directly on the day,or the day before you plan to arrive (have a backup plan). This Hilton used to offer very attractive last minute rates that were NOT available on the Hilton website. Not certain if they still do this though.

Did you try the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport or just the regular Hilton?

The Hilton Garden Inn is very close; actually on the airport property just beyond the long-term parking. There is a frequent shuttle to all terminals.

Part of the group will fly to LHR and the other part to Toulousse (en route to Lourdes). Based on your other post, either Hilton will be fine since we are going to another European city.

When traveling from FCO to LHR, does one have to go through customs?

We would need 2 family suites at the Hilton Garden - putting it at a price tag of almost $750 for one night. :eek: So I looked at other alternatives.

Have you heard of Fiumicino Airport B&B Deluxe

• 8 months later...

As we nearing our trip, I want to circle back on this post I originated months ago.

I ended up booking a few rooms at Hilton Rome Airport where we will stay after the cruise and fly out the next day.

I am still looking for a way to go from Rome to Naples Cruise Port. I've contacted various transportation providers and got quotes (roundtrip) between 1000 - 3000+ Euros, approximately 3 hour ride. Quite a big range. There are 9 of us in the group - 6 adults, 2 teens and 1 child. DH wants to ride the fast train (for the experience I guess). lol.

Our accommodation is near Piazza Navona. I assume we will take taxis / shuttles / or something to Termini Station to get on the train. From Naples train station we would take taxi or shuttle to the cruise port. On the return, we would taxi / shuttle from cruise port to Naples central station for a train ride to FCO.

My questions:

1. Is the above scenario doable with the group size and luggage?

2. Where are luggage stored on the train? Would we have to take to our seats? I am trying to determine the difficulty.

3. Any ideas on costs to Termini and from Naples station to the cruise port?

Or should we just go ahead and book the private transportation? We like the idea of the train because (1) for the experience and (2) the travel time is less than a private mini bus.

TIA

Luggage is stored at the end of each car in the train.

This may be a situation where it is worth the money to pay for the porter service (€5). They will carry and place your luggage on the train, which will make your life a lot easier. More information here, bottom of page: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Services/Luggage-transport-services

I don't think the luggage transport service will work for you because you're not overnighting in Naples prior to the cruise. If anything went wrong and they didn't get the bags to you on time ...

From the train station in Naples to the port there is a fixed fare of €11 for a taxi. To get this fare you must tell the driver you want it before the trip begins/before he engages the meter. Be prepared for some theatrics, drivers have been known to resist giving the fixed fare and will sometimes try and convince foreigners that it either doesn't exist, or doesn't apply, etc. Politely stand your ground and in my experience they eventually give up the act and get on with the ride. If they try and tell you that the cruise port isn't included (because it's not spelled out on the list) simply tell them to take you to Molo Beverello, which is spelled out. It's adjacent to the cruise port and uses the same parking area as the cruise port.

You can download the fixed fare info from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

This may be a situation where it is worth the money to pay for the porter service (€5). They will carry and place your luggage on the train, which will make your life a lot easier. More information here, bottom of page: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Services/Luggage-transport-services

I don't think the luggage transport service will work for you because you're not overnighting in Naples prior to the cruise. If anything went wrong and they didn't get the bags to you on time ...

From the train station in Naples to the port there is a fixed fare of €11 for a taxi. To get this fare you must tell the driver you want it before the trip begins/before he engages the meter. Be prepared for some theatrics, drivers have been known to resist giving the fixed fare and will sometimes try and convince foreigners that it either doesn't exist, or doesn't apply, etc. Politely stand your ground and in my experience they eventually give up the act and get on with the ride. If they try and tell you that the cruise port isn't included (because it's not spelled out on the list) simply tell them to take you to Molo Beverello, which is spelled out. It's adjacent to the cruise port and uses the same parking area as the cruise port.

You can download the fixed fare info from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

Thank you so much for the info! I did not know about the porter service and would definitely use it!

I looked at the train pricing and cannot believe how inexpensive they are, especially when compared to the private mini bus.

I looked at the price sheet. It is not clear to me. Are luggage prices included in the 11 euro? How many can fit in a taxi with luggage? Is it customary to tip taxi and shuttle, etc?

Edited by lifeasme123

The 11 euro is all inclusive, no matter what the driver tries to tell you. Tipping opens a whole other can of worms. From my place to the airport is 19 euro and I just give the driver the 20 and walk away, but that's as much for my own ease as anything else. Rounding up is common, but with a set fare like this the question becomes "round up to what?" Fifteen euro is the next number that allows you to avoid coins but that's a pretty significant "tip", more than any Italian would leave.

Although they are technically supposed to carry up to four passengers, with luggage I would not try to push beyond three people per car.

I wish we had known about the luggage porter! We just did the train from FCO direct to Florence and then from Florence to Rome three days later. It all worked great, but the porter would have been helpful. Filing this away for next time!

I wish we had known about the luggage porter! We just did the train from FCO direct to Florence and then from Florence to Rome three days later. It all worked great, but the porter would have been helpful. Filing this away for next time!

Did you got to Rome Termini Station? I'm curious what the taxi ride costs into City Center. We will be staying near Piazza Navona.

Did you got to Rome Termini Station? I'm curious what the taxi ride costs into City Center. We will be staying near Piazza Navona.

We didn't. From there Rome Cabs picked us up to take us to the port at Civitavecchia. A cab to Navona shouldn't cost too much from the Termini.

From Termini to Navona should be in the vicinity of 10 euro -- maybe a little less, maybe a little more. But not significantly more.

Be wary at Termini. The only times taxis have tried to rip me off in Rome have been here (twice), luckily it wasn't my first visit in Rome. Some tips:

1) Go to the official taxi line at the front of the station. There will be a sign and likely a line of people (not too long and it goes fast). Avoid anyone trying to hustle you out of this line. If someone does this, they aren't an official taxi. (As a tip, an official Rome taxi should look like this: https://sites.google.com/site/sctappromeforcruisetravelers/_/rsrc/1468854436144/contenuto-della-app/about-rome/using-taxis-in-rome/taxi.jpg

2) Practice saying the address of where you are going before getting into the cab. Try to sound as confident as possible that you know where you are going. While they are not going to mistake you for a local, you can at least give the impression that it is not your first visit to Rome. (And as a matter of fact, taxi drivers love to ask you if it is your first visit to Rome. Do not answer YES -- if you do, you are opening the door to having them take a roundabout way to your hotel.)

3) Look to see that the taxi meter is on when you leave Termini. If it isn't, request that the driver turn it on immediately.

4) If you have luggage, be aware that you are liable for a surcharge (from Termini; this does not apply to those using the fixed rate to/from the airports). One piece is free, an additional pieces larger than 35x25x50 cm may be charged 1 euro per piece.

If, despite this, you think you have been overcharged, do NOT let the taxi driver drop you off until you are IN FRONT OF your hotel. (Another famous trick of drivers is to drop you off at a distance, claiming they cannot get close -- but it seems to be a tactic to avoid any confrontation with hotel staff). Appeal to the hotel porter, if there is one, regarding the fare you are quoted. As a last resort, have this number with you and call it: 06 671 04 282 to report the taxi. The license number of the taxi is displayed on the side of the car, as shown in the link above.

One more link, to the official rules on taxi fares (it is in several languages, scroll down for English): https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

From Termini to Navona should be in the vicinity of 10 euro -- maybe a little less, maybe a little more. But not significantly more.

Be wary at Termini. The only times taxis have tried to rip me off in Rome have been here (twice), luckily it wasn't my first visit in Rome. Some tips:

1) Go to the official taxi line at the front of the station. There will be a sign and likely a line of people (not too long and it goes fast). Avoid anyone trying to hustle you out of this line. If someone does this, they aren't an official taxi. (As a tip, an official Rome taxi should look like this: https://sites.google.com/site/sctappromeforcruisetravelers/_/rsrc/1468854436144/contenuto-della-app/about-rome/using-taxis-in-rome/taxi.jpg

2) Practice saying the address of where you are going before getting into the cab. Try to sound as confident as possible that you know where you are going. While they are not going to mistake you for a local, you can at least give the impression that it is not your first visit to Rome. (And as a matter of fact, taxi drivers love to ask you if it is your first visit to Rome. Do not answer YES -- if you do, you are opening the door to having them take a roundabout way to your hotel.)

3) Look to see that the taxi meter is on when you leave Termini. If it isn't, request that the driver turn it on immediately.

4) If you have luggage, be aware that you are liable for a surcharge (from Termini; this does not apply to those using the fixed rate to/from the airports). One piece is free, an additional pieces larger than 35x25x50 cm may be charged 1 euro per piece.

If, despite this, you think you have been overcharged, do NOT let the taxi driver drop you off until you are IN FRONT OF your hotel. (Another famous trick of drivers is to drop you off at a distance, claiming they cannot get close -- but it seems to be a tactic to avoid any confrontation with hotel staff). Appeal to the hotel porter, if there is one, regarding the fare you are quoted. As a last resort, have this number with you and call it: 06 671 04 282 to report the taxi. The license number of the taxi is displayed on the side of the car, as shown in the link above.

One more link, to the official rules on taxi fares (it is in several languages, scroll down for English): https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

Sorry I misspoke. We will need transportation from City Center to Termini to catch the train to Naples. On the return from Naples, we will take the train to Termini then to FCO. I assume it will be easy to move our luggage from the fast train to Leonardo Express train??

Although I do plan to use the porter service as Eurocruiser suggested, I am curious. When the taxi or shuttle drops us off at Termini Station, how far is the walk to catch our train? It is like the airport, walking from curbside to check in counter?

It's not far from the taxi drop off in Piazza dei Cinquecento to the track head at Termini (about 500').

I'm not sure where you meet the porter, there may be a specific office for that. I would ask about that when you reserve the service because if it is in one of the offices there might be a closer entrance than Piazza dei Cinquecento. For example, there is the Sala Viaggiatori Trenitalia on the north side of the station, closer to the Via Marsala entrance.

In any event, the main part of the station isn't huge so you won't have that far to go.

Station map here: http://www.romatermini.com/it/map/#

It's not far from the taxi drop off in Piazza dei Cinquecento to the track head at Termini (about 500').

I'm not sure where you meet the porter, there may be a specific office for that. I would ask about that when you reserve the service because if it is in one of the offices there might be a closer entrance than Piazza dei Cinquecento. For example, there is the Sala Viaggiatori Trenitalia on the north side of the station, closer to the Via Marsala entrance.

In any event, the main part of the station isn't huge so you won't have that far to go.

Station map here: http://www.romatermini.com/it/map/#

euro cruiser - thanks so much for the link! I have it on the list to download! I also looked at the map for the Naples Centrale. Which street would we catch the taxi, and tips to get from the platform to the taxi?

Edited by lifeasme123

Napoli Centrale is about half the size of Termini, simply head away from the tracks toward the front door (Piazza Garibaldi). You'll see signs for the taxi rank right in front of the station. The traffic travels from right to left in the piazza so the taxis to the left are the front of the line.

One thing that I always do if I'm traveling to a non-English speaking country: Print out the name of the hotel AND THE ADDRESS on business-card-size pieces of paper. I take a few of them with me to give to the taxi drivers. This, and knowing how to pronounce the name of where I'm going helps. If I know I will be taking a taxi to a restaurant (I make reservations in advance), I'll print up this one, too. Try to have it down in the local language - you can usually find this on the property's home page on the Internet.

I did have one driver who tried to take the "long way" from Termini up to the Westin; kind of funny, since it's a straight shot up one street and a block left...

I am getting ready to book my tickets on Trenitalia. It's giving me the option to select Convoy A or Convoy B for my seats. What is the difference?

Additionally, I am considering taking the express bus from Naples to FCO. The reason is because it is nonstop, vs the train requires a train change in Termini. We have 9 people in our group with luggage. Is there a luggage storage/locker/keep there at Naples MetroPark. We thought maybe we can drop off the luggage and walk around as the bus does not leave until 6pm. Thanks!

Is there a luggage storage/locker/keep there at Naples MetroPark. We thought maybe we can drop off the luggage and walk around as the bus does not leave until 6pm. Thanks!
Not right at the bus depot but right next door at Napoli Centrale: http://www.napolicentrale.it/en/service/detail/left-luggage

I think the bus is a great idea, it's certainly easier and more convenient to avoid the stop and dealing with your luggage twice.

The metropark is adjacent to Napoli Centrale so it's pretty easy. You can walk through the station to a side exit right into the metropark.

If you look at the "binario" (track) level map of the station, on the very right you'll see a hallway leading to Corso Lucci and in smaller letters above that Metropark: http://www.napolicentrale.it/it/map/#

Are you looking at the English language pages of the Trenitalia site? That sounds like bad translations of something.

Yes, I am looking at the translated version. There is an icon for "available seats" and "frontal seats". I selected the frontal ones since there are not many. I got the last 4 tickets today with the upgrade to Premium for 70 euros for 4. I hope that is a good deal. I am debating on getting regular tickets for the other 5 people or wait to see if the upgrades happens again.

Thanks for the detailed info!

If I read your post correctly, then there is no direct train from Naples to FCO, correct? Is it easy to train at Termini Rome?

The flight at 850pm is to London, then to the US the next day. I thought staying in London is easier since there are hotels within the airport. We would not have to carry all our luggages - just our overnight bags. If we stayed overnight in Rome to catch a flight the next day, we would have to take all our bags to the hotel.

I would love any advice or suggestions. We are a group of 9 (4 adults, 3 children and 2 seniors) - I am appreciative of your advice regarding shuttle or taxi to Napoli Center.

You can't fly from Naples to London?

Sent from my iPad using Forums