passenger overboard on Carnival Triumph

dramaqueenjan

Thank you for saying what I am thinking. When you have lost someone you love, how they are lost doesn't not lessen the grief. It never ceases to amaze me that somehow simple understanding/empathy gets lost in a sea of strangers eager to place blame. A family is suffering right now. How about we focus our energy on offering them our support and condolences?

I second both of you. So very sad for his family and the end of a life too soon. I don't really care how it happened, I just wish it didn't.

It's not any rougher than usual. This is a direct result of people who lack situational awareness. It's a result of people who act as if the ships crew are all babysitters for their unruly children while they live at the bar. It's a result of being blind to the fact that the ship is actually a giant machine that can kill you.

It's a result of people not being responsible for their own actions.

With the exception of the gangway and boarding the tenders, it's extremely difficult to find yourself overboard as long as your not acting like a fool and keep both feet on the ground.

Thousands of people are at work(myself included) and vacationing afloat everyday and somehow they manage to not fall overboard. Don't climb railings, swing from chandeliers, try to climb the masthead or down a fifth of hootch and try to impress a bunch of strangers and you'll probably be ok.

You may want to make sure you have the true facts before judging. It was not a young boy, it was a 54 year old man.

The age of the person that went overboard is completely immaterial based on what CS correctly posted.

Edited by Out to sea!

The second tragedy over the last few weeks. This is so sad no matter what the circumstances are. My thoughts are with the family left behind at this terrible time. :(

The third tragedy. Apparently, it is suspected that some cruise passengers are among the victims in the attack in Tunisia (this is not confirmed)...two ships were in port...Costa and MSC. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the man from the Triumph, and all those affected by the attack in Tunisia.

Edited by put me on a ship
clarification

We aren't at the funeral. And their family isn't on here. In that case, yes, of course the reason doesn't matter.

But in a forum dedicated to discussing cruise topics, they whys and hows DO matter. is this an epidemic? Are the railings being shortened by 4 feet? Should you be careful if you see people drunk horsing around? Should you call someone if you see someone goofing around the railing? Are the seas wild enough to throw someone 5 feet off the ground and upside down over a railing? Or are people being drunk and foolish and dangerous? Is this a spring break thing? People not watching their children?

I am obviously not calling the mother of these people to ask these rhetorical questions. But it is a valid conversation here to have on the forums that doesn't mean that I am heartless or cruel or have no sympathy.

We aren't at the funeral. And their family isn't on here. In that case, yes, of course the reason doesn't matter.

But in a forum dedicated to discussing cruise topics, they whys and hows DO matter. is this an epidemic? Are the railings being shortened by 4 feet? Should you be careful if you see people drunk horsing around? Should you call someone if you see someone goofing around the railing? Are the seas wild enough to throw someone 5 feet off the ground and upside down over a railing? Or are people being drunk and foolish and dangerous? Is this a spring break thing? People not watching their children?

I am obviously not calling the mother of these people to ask these rhetorical questions. But it is a valid conversation here to have on the forums that doesn't mean that I am heartless or cruel or have no sympathy.

When I posted I did so in response to people referring to must be drunks, people not watching their unruly children, people being stupid and making stupid mistakes therefore not worthy of their pity, etc.... there was no discussion on any of the specific safety things you mention in your post. If there had been, my response would not have been posted. I see no need in some of the name calling and ridiculous speculation that was being made....I, too, can put my view on this cruise forum, and I did. done.

I don't normally chime in on these conversations but as someone who has suffered loss throughout my life, the worse being my 8 yo grand-daughter....the why's only matter to those who have never suffered an unbearable loss. That is the only way some of the statements on this thread could be substantiated, their losses obviously not of the unbearable kind. I hope all those that have made such rude and un-founded speculations in an incident that cost a person his life never, ever have to eat those words, I truly do. I know after losing (and probably before, but definitely afterwards) my grand-daughter, I grieve for those that lose someone so dear to them, no matter the cause...loss is loss, pain is pain, grief is grief.... regardless. I pray to my God that he grant peace to those loved ones left behind.

Well said.

Someone said that the family of the lost passenger will never see cruel posts, but the truth is that we do no know that.

We don't know who the person was or if he or his family are know to us on this board.

Also, if it is impossible to go overboard without doing something stupid, then why do they close the decks when it gets windy?

Someone said that the family of the lost passenger will never see cruel posts, but the truth is that we do no know that.

We don't know who the person was or if he or his family are know to us on this board.

Also, if it is impossible to go overboard without doing something stupid, then why do they close the decks when it gets windy?

Because you could get blown along a slippery deck into those hard, unforgiving railings that keep you from going overboard, and injure yourself. Or you could catch a hand in a door suddenly slammed on you by the wind. Or something could tear loose on deck and get blown into your head. Just a few, minor liabilities that the cruise line would like to avoid.

I've spent 40 years at sea, been in some extreme storms, seen my fair share of massive waves, had parts of the ship torn off by seas, probably more intense than even 1% of cruisers have experienced. I work on ships that are closer to the water than cruise ship promenades, with railings that are no where near as high or as strong as those on cruise ships, and are sometimes required to go out onto the deck in storms like this, for the safety of the ship, and we have never lost a man overboard.

And while I know that there are many cases of overboards on cruise ships that have no known cause, because no one saw it, I would bank my reputation that there has never been a case proven of anyone being washed overboard from a cruise ship.

Because you could get blown along a slippery deck into those hard, unforgiving railings that keep you from going overboard, and injure yourself. Or you could catch a hand in a door suddenly slammed on you by the wind. Or something could tear loose on deck and get blown into your head. Just a few, minor liabilities that the cruise line would like to avoid.

I've spent 40 years at sea, been in some extreme storms, seen my fair share of massive waves, had parts of the ship torn off by seas, probably more intense than even 1% of cruisers have experienced. I work on ships that are closer to the water than cruise ship promenades, with railings that are no where near as high or as strong as those on cruise ships, and are sometimes required to go out onto the deck in storms like this, for the safety of the ship, and we have never lost a man overboard.

And while I know that there are many cases of overboards on cruise ships that have no known cause, because no one saw it, I would bank my reputation that there has never been a case proven of anyone being washed overboard from a cruise ship.

Could not agree w you more!

because you could get blown along a slippery deck into those hard, unforgiving railings that keep you from going overboard, and injure yourself. Or you could catch a hand in a door suddenly slammed on you by the wind. Or something could tear loose on deck and get blown into your head. Just a few, minor liabilities that the cruise line would like to avoid.

And while i know that there are many cases of overboards on cruise ships that have no known cause, because no one saw it, i would bank my reputation that there has never been a case proven of anyone being washed overboard from a cruise ship.

thumbs up.

I don't normally chime in on these conversations but as someone who has suffered loss throughout my life, the worse being my 8 yo grand-daughter....the why's only matter to those who have never suffered an unbearable loss. That is the only way some of the statements on this thread could be substantiated, their losses obviously not of the unbearable kind. I hope all those that have made such rude and un-founded speculations in an incident that cost a person his life never, ever have to eat those words, I truly do. I know after losing (and probably before, but definitely afterwards) my grand-daughter, I grieve for those that lose someone so dear to them, no matter the cause...loss is loss, pain is pain, grief is grief.... regardless. I pray to my God that he grant peace to those loved ones left behind.

I thank you for your words and see no need to attack the victims or the family. Even if the accident was suicide consider the emotional state of a person so lost that becomes their choice to take their own life. If it is an accident it is equally tragic because a life is still lost. Only attack if you have never made a single mistake ever in your life. My prayers are with the victim and the family, may god comfort them in this difficult time. Compassion, love and sympathy are gifts we can give each other daily. Lets do that instead.

I just read a news article where they stated that the video surveillance taken of the young man on the Glory that went overboard a short while ago, showed that he had climbed over the railings before falling.

If that is the case...would it not be a good idea for Carnival to release that information? (perhaps they have and I missed it?)

Without a doubt his family was told and of course the authorities know, but I would think the public deserves the right to know (or maybe we don't) BUT I would think Carnival would want people to know that people are not just 'falling' off their ships.

Perhaps, the information is released once the investigation is finished, it just seems to me that so many assumptions and gossip running rampant, the sooner that information is out there the better.

I mean no disrespect to this man on the Glory, may he RIP, - just as a parent boarding a ship in a month with two kids, knowing that this "fall" could have been prevented and people are not just falling off cruise ships while just standing on their balcony or anywhere beside the railing.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/new-river-valley/coast-guard-searching-for-virginia-tech-student-who-went-overboard-cruise-ship/31725368

Edited by RCmommy
added link

Hear, hear.

I just read a news article where they stated that the video surveillance taken of the young man on the Glory that went overboard a short while ago, showed that he had climbed over the railings before falling.

If that is the case...would it not be a good idea for Carnival to release that information? (perhaps they have and I missed it?)

Without a doubt his family was told and of course the authorities know, but I would think the public deserves the right to know (or maybe we don't) BUT I would think Carnival would want people to know that people are not just 'falling' off their ships.

Perhaps, the information is released once the investigation is finished, it just seems to me that so many assumptions and gossip running rampant, the sooner that information is out there the better.

I mean no disrespect to this man on the Glory, may he RIP, - just as a parent boarding a ship in a month with two kids, knowing that this "fall" could have been prevented and people are not just falling off cruise ships while just standing on their balcony or anywhere beside the railing.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/new-river-valley/coast-guard-searching-for-virginia-tech-student-who-went-overboard-cruise-ship/31725368

I was under the impression that Carnival is the one who released the information to the news organization. I don't know how else they would have been able to report it. :confused:

I appreciate those who make comments of truth in a factual way so we understand, even emphatic way. However there is a line between that and zero empathy need to be right comments...and many with loss have made some excellent statements that can not be topped.

I have a 20 year old nephew out there with a good group and don't think he will sneak much alcohol if any due to growing lessons learned here, including loss of his own dad to it at 2 and bad stepfathers...but we all know...life is tough and complicated and it is not heaven here. I think mid-fifties is another hugely tenuous time looking at successes/failures and the future. My heart goes out to all people in grief and loss and those desperate and in turmoil of depression and anxiety,.,these are still pretty hard times for many since 2007/8...and there just is a host of things generally that can come up for people away from their regular routines...

I am not surprised....just extremely empathetic and pray deeply for all in distress at this time...and for those who can not understand or who would judge.

Thanks....it sure is....may the family be comforted and the victim find peace and help on other side.

One positive...the care team seems to always get rave reviews from those with tough things happening on board...anytime help is there in proper ways begins the healing. Also appears to be empathetic passengers aboard.

The report on the news that I heard, indicated the cruise line knows what happened and is working with authorities.

There are probably at least a couple of reasons the cruise line does not reveal their surveillance film to news. They are not sure it would be reported correctly, legal reasons when they get sued and not wanting the public to know what to do if anyone else wants to commit suicide at sea.

It's too bad the person didn't get help before going on a cruise and messing up so many people's vacation. Of course, had he been sound of mind, he probably wouldn't do it or at least wait until the cruise was near over on the last day.

Also, not good to step in front of trucks, trains or cause policemen to shoot for a suicide as there are other people involved. Really no good way to end life, as many don't believe there should be medical intervention either - So, about all that can be done now is to say - RIP fellow cruiser