Solo Cruise and Excursions

Dame@sea

I've finally booked a studio on The Getaway for next April and got the awesome excursion credit promo. As a woman traveling alone, I had planned to do my excursions through the ship anyway as a safety net against being left behind in port. This is my first cruise but I'm a seasoned traveler. I've traveled all over the US and Europe on my own, but there I don't run the risk of my hotel leaving without me, if I'm late getting back. :)

So how do other solo travelers handle the excursions and ports? I'm going to GSC, Ocho Rios, George Town and Cozumel. Any tips or tricks for these ports?

I don't always book excursions, but when I do I've always done so through the cruiseline. I view this as both a matter of safety and of convenience. But in many cases I prefer to simply walk around town or the port area on my own.

I haven't been to any of the specific ports you listed, so can't comment further. ;-)

I always travel solo and I always book the ship's excursions, mostly for the reasons you stated. On a ship excursion you will not be left behind if it runs late. Although they may be a few dollars higher than some of the private excursions, it is not enough difference when you are traveling as a solo, so I just take the safe route. As far as your ports, if it is a first time trip there I generally like a tour that just tours the island or one that interests me. Not a lot to tour in GSC, but they do have a few activity tours. In Ocho Rios I would definitely do a ship tour as that is one port you don't really want to wander around in. Both Cozumel and George Town and fairly safe. I have been to Cozumel a few times so the last time I just went off on my own and did a little shopping. In George Town I did the island and turtle farm tour and enjoyed it. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

So how do other solo travelers handle the excursions and ports? I'm going to GSC, Ocho Rios, George Town and Cozumel. Any tips or tricks for these ports?

I don't generally do excursions, but I would want to do them if I had safety concerns about a particular part. If I were to do an excursion, I would also do one through the ship.

I don't know those ports to comment specifically.

Here are a few of my favorites and one not so favorite:

Ocho Rios - Bamboo rafting on the Martha Brae. Very relaxing and as a solo, you will have your own raft and river guide.

Cozumel - I like Playa Mia. Buy the day pass and skip the buffet add-on. There are servers who will bring you a menu at your lounger for lunch as well as drinks. Beach umbrella is a must and is a minimal extra. Staff will set it up for you. There are also lovely pools and many activities. Very nice beach excursion. Loved the service there.

GSC - NCL's private island. Not much there and I was underwhelmed. I left the ship at 11 a.m., stayed for the included lunch buffet, sunned for an hour and returned to the ship

Thanks everyone!

I was on the fence about Playa Mia. I think I want to do the cooking class, but since that port is toward the end of the cruise I was going to wait and see if I made a friend who might want to explore together.

• 2 weeks later...

I did three ship excursions on my first solo cruise (NCL Epic Oct 2014) for safety and to see some new areas that I might not be brave enough to venture out to on my own. If this is your first cruise, and you are at all nervous, I say stick to ship excursions. If you like cruising, you can always branch out next time. :)

I plan on doing a mix of both on my December Getaway cruise, depending on the port, my Roll Call, and prices. I've been reading some reviews and found some reliable, cheaper options for Jamaica; I really want to do the falls.

Unless you want to do water sports or snorkel, you don't need an excursion on GSC. Just some sunscreen and your towel. :) If you're looking for a quieter patch of beach, walk along the beach and then walk some more, until you come to other areas. They are all part of NCL's property, but most people don't wander down past the first or second beach. No bars down there though, so YMMV.

I did my first solo cruise last October, and am doing my second solo this December. It is a fantastic way to travel. When I've cruised with friends/family I preferred to book our own excursions with local companies, but traveling as a single woman I did book ship excursions. In Ocho Rios I did a really fun tubing trip down a river. I always find people to be pretty friendly and outgoing when you're sharing an adventure like this, so I don't think you'll feel at all awkward as a solo on an excursion. Have fun!

I've been on a few cruises & like others have said I go for the ship's tours as its one less thing to worry about, although if it's a port you can explore on your own I'll do that now.

Last year I went to the Caribbean for the first time on RCI Freedom of the Seas, but it was a similar itinerary to this.

In Jamaica I climbed the Dunns River Falls, which was great fun, but you get soaked (don't take your camera!!) I was less impressed with the Dolphin/nature park half of the tour.

In Grand Cayman I took a catamaran tour to Stingray city & swam with stingrays - the absolute highlight of the whole trip. When I got back there was plenty of time to wander round the shops in George Town on my own.

Cozumel - I saw the small Mayan ruins site on the Island, as I'd never seen any before so didn't see the point of going on the big trip to the mainland. Again it was nice to have a wander round when I got back.

Hope you enjoy your trip - I definitely want to see the rest of the Caribbean after that trip.