Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

Well, today has easily been our most interesting cruise day. We are on the Dawn 9 day, and today was first of two consectuive sea days heading back to Miami.

The ship lost TOTAL electrical power, between about 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Then, after about two hours of power and the captain picking up speed, we lost power again! They started restoring again pretty quickly, so we have most, but not all, services.

By TOTAL power, I mean total. No electric at all. No water. No toilet!! (the toilets were one of the last things to get going, yikes!).

During that time (and now), we had NO propulsion. The Dawn was simply drifting in the sea. I will tell you, it was an unsettling sight to see a couple coast guard helicopters circling the ship (although the Captain said several times it was precautionary). Fortunately, we are only 90 miles from Puerto Rico.

As I said, there were no toilets for a while. After they were up, I could hear a bunch of swooshes down the hall!

No a/c. That is one of the worst parts. We are in an AC suite up front, but with the ship not moving, we can't get a breeze going even with the doors propped open (yes, even at night!). A baby in the owners suite next door keeps crying (oh, wait, that has been all week!).

They cancelled all programs today (even with power, there is no A/C in the Stardust), with a make shift trivia game in the Spinnaker. The awesome accoustic guitar player (Tom Dion?) played at the pool.

I just called Anoop, the concierge, and he told me the specialty restaurants will be open tonight, but Aqua is closed. They are serving limited menu in Venetian, with the Garden Cafe and a pool side barbecue.

They have asked to conserve water, since without power they cannot make fresh water fast enough.

I talked with our steward, who has been on ships for about 19 years. He said once on the Norway they lost power, but they were in port, but never at sea. He said he was a little scared. There is only one room make up service today. None of the crew we talked to has been on board when losing power at sea. One person we talked to said he heard there was some sort of leak in the power room which shorted the system out.

The Captain gives updates every half hour. All in all, we think the crew id doing a great job trying to accommodate. We spent the day at the pool as planned, and had a great time anyway (after the toilets got up!). Most pax are being good natured about it, some are complaining (they probably want 6 free cruises compensation).

Well, that's my update for now. Gotta jump in for a SHORT shower!

Ya Mon,

Duff Man

Well, THAT's a bummer! Especially the toilet issue! I hope whatever is ailing the ship gets fixed quick..and at least long enough to get back to land! You can bet there'll be a ton of folks coming on here when the cruise is over, demanding free cruises and threatening lawsuits.

In all seriousness, I do hope no one is hurt, and you all keep safe!

On our very first cruise we woke one night in the middle of the night to find that the ship was without power. Scared us a lot (as I said, our first cruise!), and we were scrambling around with a flashlight, grabbing our life vests and re-reading the instructions... :D It was probably a couple of hours that there was no power...and we were never formally told anything about it the next day. Just saw a lot of maintenance type people running around with wiring diagrams in hand...

I was on the Majesty of the seas back in 1999 and we lost power for a hour or two heading from Cozemel back to Miami right off the coast of Cuba. Not a pleasant feeling being adrift at sea!!!!!!!! Hope everything gets back to normal for you and can enjoy the rest of your cruise....

just seen your last post...bummer!!

... The Dawn was simply drifting in the sea. ... no toilets for a while. ... No a/c. ... A baby in the owners suite next door keeps crying (oh, wait, that has been all week!). ... They cancelled all programs today ... They have asked to conserve water, since without power they cannot make fresh water fast enough.

Sheesh, the cruise from hell. Well, maybe not that bad; more like the cruise from Burbank.

I learned after 25 consecutive Decembers of whining to my folks who were basking on the beach in Hawaii while we were stuck at home during an ice storm (for home is a thousand miles north of Burbank, thank God, frozen rain notwithstanding), that there's only one way to end that kind of post: "Wish you were here."

If it's unpleasant for you, just imagine how it is for most of your poor crew, stuck down in the sizzling bowels of "Dead Hulk Dawn".

InThe

As I feared, the Captain just announced that they are re-routing us to San Juan. Tomorrow the staff will help everyone make travel arrangements. Well, that should be just a ton of fun!

:eek:

Wow Hope they make plenty of ice for free drinks whilst they have power.:D:D

Yikes...what a logistical nightmare; rerouting all those people!

Plus, I feel terrible for all those passengers waiting in Miami to board her on Sunday:-(

You seem to have a great attitude about the whole thing. I guess you're a kinda 'roll with the punches' type:-) Me too!

Cheers,

Sandra

Our hearts go out to the wonderful officers and crew of the Dawn---and the passengers now onboard. While this must be very difficult for the passengers, they could NOT be in better hands...would we rather be here or there this very moment?? THERE !!! An adventure for sure...

So, where does the next group get on?

I would assume the answer to that is Miami. I can not see them flying a ship full of people from Miami to Puerto Rico on short notice.

The real question is when will the next group get on? I wonder how long the repairs will take.....

I would assume the answer to that is Miami. I can not see them flying a ship full of people from Miami to Puerto Rico on short notice.

The real question is when will the next group get on? I wonder how long the repairs will take.....

Considering the cruise is cut short, all those people are going to need accomodations or will pay a lot of rescheuling penalties to the airlines.

We're on the Dawn in February. I would be upset if this happened since it is my honeymoon! You definitely sound like you are making the best of it. :)

My final payment is due tomorrow...should I have any reservations about this affecting my cruise whatsoever?

Unfortunately, it sounds like the folks on the 11-29-09 sailing might be about to become intimately familiar with the fine print in the NCL contract. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix. With a cruise originally scheduled to leave on Sunday and return the following Friday, even a day or two delay is a big deal.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the folks on the 11-29-09 sailing might be about to become intimately familiar with the fine print in the NCL contract. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix. With a cruise originally scheduled to leave on Sunday and return the following Friday, even a day or two delay is a big deal.

Out of my own curiosity, does NCL take care of accomodations for the next cruises passengers? (if the ship doesn't leave on time)...

Wow. What a bummer. BUT....I'd rather be adrift at sea on the Dawn with no power, than sitting here in freezing Chicago!

I truly hope it all works out. I feel sorry for whichever NCL dept. is scrambling right now. I feel sorry for all the passengers who's plans have been disrupted. I sure do hope they're passing out free cocktails.:eek:

How sad for the people on the upcoming sailing :( I pray that only the 5 day is affected. I hope they get this fixed prior to the following 9 day sailing.

I hope everyone has no issues making new travel arrangements.

Lord, I wager the crew and officers have their hands full right about now....good grief!!

Archived