Stroller recommendations

Sparkygirl

We are a very active family and currently use our jeep and bob strollers for everything. We are taking our first cruise in September with our 18 month old. What stroller would you recommend?

We are flying, taking a train and then in the ship. DD has flown extensively and the stroller has always been a pain through security.

I had to look up both strollers - wow, have things changed since my kids were that age (they're in their late 30's - yikes). Since the corridors on ships aren't too wide and the cabin floor space is limited I would think a stroller that has a narrow wheel base and folds up for storage would work best. Don't know if yours do that or not.

We are a very active family and currently use our jeep and bob strollers for everything. We are taking our first cruise in September with our 18 month old. What stroller would you recommend?

We are flying, taking a train and then in the ship. DD has flown extensively and the stroller has always been a pain through security.

I admit that I am somewhat anti-stroller when vacationing. However, I wouldn't imagine ever bringing my BOB on a cruise, just for the shear size. Yes, it would be convenient in port, but useless on the ship. Plus it would be difficult to get on and off a train...goodness you are a brave person to even consider this option lol! I know the Jeep to look at it, but don't know much about how it folds etc so won't comment on that one.

I would strongly suggest you consider either (or both) an umbrella stroller with a reclining back option and baby carrier. Your decision will also depend strongly on what ports you are in and what you plan to do in port.

I hands down do not want to bring either of them with us. I know how much of a pain they are just for flying but are worth it for camping, etc.

I'll have to look at umbrella or foldable strollers that recline. Our little one is a firecracker and refuses to give in to sleep if there is something she thinks she is missing so the strollers become her nap zone.

DD was slightly younger than your DD will be, she celebrated her first birthday on her first cruise. We brought along a Kelty backpack stroller. It is a stroller that converts to a backpack and the child almost stands up in it so we were able to use it like a highchair too. Also, since she was up higher she could see everything so there was much less fussing. After the cruise we used it a lot when visiting New York - push her while walking along the streets and then DH would throw her on his back to get on the subway. No need to remove the child - just pull out the shoulder straps and collapse the push bar. It's very narrow so easily fit down narrow hallways on the ship.

Here's a picture of it

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/convertible-stroller-pack-by-kelty-kids™~p~85907/

DD was slightly younger than your DD will be, she celebrated her first birthday on her first cruise. We brought along a Kelty backpack stroller. It is a stroller that converts to a backpack and the child almost stands up in it so we were able to use it like a highchair too. Also, since she was up higher she could see everything so there was much less fussing. After the cruise we used it a lot when visiting New York - push her while walking along the streets and then DH would throw her on his back to get on the subway. No need to remove the child - just pull out the shoulder straps and collapse the push bar. It's very narrow so easily fit down narrow hallways on the ship.

Here's a picture of it

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/convertible-stroller-pack-by-kelty-kids™~p~85907/[/quote

I love how this stroller has multiple functions. We were looking for a carrier but this looks like it will solve the carrier and and stroller issue.

We have this stroller, which we used for travelling, including on 2 cruises:

http://www.babytrend.com/retired_strollers/1510.html

It's now a retired product, but it only cost $35, it was small (no problems fitting in narrow hallways or elevators), lightweight, had cup holders and a snack tray, and a huge basket. We got SO much use out of that thing.

Baby Trend now has a very, very similar product for sale at Babies R Us, and it's $43.99 right now.

pTRU1-7231443dt.jpg

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994452

I've been researching this for our upcoming cruise and want an umbrella type, but sturdy as my 17 month old is already 30 lbs! I have decided on the First Years Ignite model. It is $60 on Amazon. There is a smaller version, the Jet, for about $40. There are great reviews and comparisons of both, so check it out!

We never opened the door to the hall without putting our little guy in the stroller. I'd say "Your Chariot Awaits" and my then 13 month would hop in. He thought it was so funny and it meant that we were going to explore the ship. It made the sometimes long walk to breakfast easier and I didn't have to worry about him running in the halls.

I've been researching this for our upcoming cruise and want an umbrella type, but sturdy as my 17 month old is already 30 lbs! I have decided on the First Years Ignite model. It is $60 on Amazon. There is a smaller version, the Jet, for about $40. There are great reviews and comparisons of both, so check it out!

I'm actually looking at the first years indigo model. DD is only 20 lbs and we need the bigger basket.

We adore our Maclaren Volo. We've had it for four years and it's survived trips to Mexico, Canada, Hawaii and Disneyland (including being gate-checked several times) and is still in great shape. It's small enough to be easily maneuverable through the tiny ship corridors, and weighs practically nothing and has a shoulder carrying strap, which makes it convenient when it's time to climb onto/off of a tender for shore excursions. Just fold it with one hand, toss it over your shoulder, and carry the wee one and the stroller right onto the ship. Downside: it has minimal storage, and it doesn't recline. Our oldest has still taken many a nap in that thing, and we bought a bag thing that hangs off the back handles for extra storage. Seriously cannot say enough good things about it, Maclaren should give me a kick-back for all the times I've recommended it. :D

Are those one of those strollers that are so wide and so big that you take the entire ship corridor and an entire elevator with the thing?

Also, will it fit in your room when you are not using it or do you plan to clutter up the corridor w it?

If so, I think that you have figured out my answer - don't take the things.

DON

How about an Uppa Baby GLuxe? Very like the Maclaren Triumph, but I believe it reclines further and it has a much bigger canopy! It's been our regular stroller forever (I got so tired of wrangling with my Chicco Cortina). It folds up super small, only weighs 11 pounds, and has a shoulder strap for carrying. I've managed carrying it, my son, and his diaper bag when boarding a bus with very little hassle.

Plus it's cheaper than most Maclarens :D

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We found a quinny zapp 4 on Craigslist 3 years old and still in awesome shape! Folds to 25"x11"x9" it does not recline but the seat is already reclined that she will have no issues napping in it. It is a dream to push can't wait to go on our cruise!

sounds great!

I was going to suggest the one we have used all over Canada, Europe (not great for cobblestones tho) and US

Combi has a folding stroller with a carrying strap that does recline, the basket isn't very big but we buy those swivel hooks and they hold the bags and even our backpack with 2 of them (as long as the kid is in there it won't fall over when weighed down)!!

Combi Flare looks closest to the one we have used for over 5 yrs now! we needed a reclining and 5 pt harness for our 9mo old at the time to use that we could cram into smaller rental cars overseas!

http://www.combiusa.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=6

This is the one i am looking at also...my 2 yo is as big as a 4yo and weighs 40 lb!!! If ypure not picky about the color Target website has them for about $50.

This is the one i am looking at also...my 2 yo is as big as a 4yo and weighs 40 lb!!! If ypure not picky about the color Target website has them for about $50.

We have the Jet and really like it. I wish it would recline a little bit more, but DD isn't really a stroller sleeper anyway so it isn't a huge deal for us. It folds up small and I love the parent console. It has three cup holders and a nice spot to put your phone, keys, wallet, etc. The basket isn't huge, and sometimes it's hard to fit things in it, but it's better than no basket!

We have the Jet and really like it. I wish it would recline a little bit more, but DD isn't really a stroller sleeper anyway so it isn't a huge deal for us. It folds up small and I love the parent console. It has three cup holders and a nice spot to put your phone, keys, wallet, etc. The basket isn't huge, and sometimes it's hard to fit things in it, but it's better than no basket!

How big is your child that rides in the Jet?

Just back from the Sea Princess (Alaska). I'm very glad I took the stroller for my almost two year old. Some nights she was just in a spazzy mood and it was nice to have some containment of her. Also it was easy to get her down for a nap by just touring her around the ship.

Definitely not an issue of taking a stroller...i have never vacationed without one...but which stroller. Only been on 1 cruise with our kids and we took a cheapie and it was too uncomfortable for me and the kids!

With the space restrictions of a cruise ship i know my Trevi will be too bulky, so i ordered the Ignite from Babys First Years. Only $50 at Target site and goes up to 50 lb so should last us at least the next few years.

I was also wondering whether to bring a stroller - will definitely bring one after reading this post. I've been looking for an inexpensive lightweight umbrella stroller that reclines for my 2 yo for our first cruise in a few weeks. I'm looking at the BabiesRUs deluxe umbrella stroller or the Lamaze LS 50. Anyone have either of these?

Archived