Water on cruise ships?

So I just returned home from a land-based trip in Europe. One thing that boggled my mind was the water. Apparently the water is "soft" there, which basically meant that I felt like I had not gotten all of the shampoo out of my hair after washing it. Between that, and my haircurler not working (despite the proper adaptors), I basically resorted to ponytails on a daily basis.

I'm going on my first cruise next summer, and am not sure what to expect, in terms of water on the ship. Soft? Hard? Should I just resort to ponytails (leaving the hairdryer and curler at home), or is there a good shampoo that will take into account the type of water onboard.

Thanks in advance!:)

Water on cruiseships is super-duper filtered from sea water. It's fantastic to drink ... no after taste or anything.

Have you ever had a glass of water from a bathroom in a house where there is soft water? If you have then you know it has that salty taste - it's the salt and other minerals that make water soft. The water in the showers on the ship is the same as the water in the taps on the ship, and you can't taste water so you know it isn't salty like softened water.

All of that aside - I've never had a problem with the water being too soft on the ships, but it is certainly no hard water like you'll find in some parts of North America.

Long answer, I know, but figured I'd answer the question about drinking water at the same time!

I've never had a problem with my hair on cruise ships reacting to the ship's water. As a precautionary measure, you could buy some bottled water and pour it on your hair in the last rinse of your shower.

I've never had a problem with my hair on cruise ships reacting to the ship's water. As a precautionary measure, you could buy some bottled water and pour it on your hair in the last rinse of your shower.

Jane, I have.....hair has no body and is a totally different beast on ships.

Thanks for your responses, ladies! I think if i bought bottled water, I'd drink it, rather than use it on my hair. I'm not a high maintenance person...(especially in terms of hair)...I was just curious. If I'm resorting to ponytails, I'll leave the haircurler and dryer at home (and have extra space for shoes!).

I used to bring my shampoo and conditioner from home .. and I noticed that I was having a lot of trouble with my hair. I forgot one time and used what the ship provided and it was fine .. so I don' t know if the products on board are produced taking the water type in mind or not but I know that my hair is happier on the cruise with the ship's products than with my salon products.

All ship's water is very soft....they make it from seawater and all of the minerals that make water "hard" have been removed.

Only use about 1/3 the shampoo you normally use! It's VERY hard to rinse with soft water!

It took me about 15 or so cruises to stop blaming the water on the ship and start remembering where I was regarding my hair.

Heat & humidity play a big part in how your hair will ``behave.'' At sea you are in the midst of high humidity, even if the outside temps are as low as 80 degreees.

Am having a bad hair day today here in Ohio with temps bordering triple digits and very high humidity. Washed my hair this morning in the same water I always use and used the same shampoo and conditioner as normal - but . . .

Water from the taps on ships is purified sea water, probably more pure than any bottled water you will ever buy in a store. But the air your hair is breathing in and out each day is very heavy in salt from the seas.

Just relax about hair worries and always have a plan ``B'' or plan ``C'' available like ponytail holders or other means to make hair behave in high humidity.

Dianne

Am having a bad hair day today here in Ohio with temps bordering triple digits and very high humidity. Washed my hair this morning in the same water I always use and used the same shampoo and conditioner as normal - but . . .

That's so true Dianne - I'm about 20 min from you in Westerville. This is definately a ponytail day - horrible humidity. Ugh!

:) Kerry

Thanks for your responses, ladies! I think if i bought bottled water, I'd drink it, rather than use it on my hair. I'm not a high maintenance person...(especially in terms of hair)...I was just curious. If I'm resorting to ponytails, I'll leave the haircurler and dryer at home (and have extra space for shoes!).

I wasn't suggesting you bring gallons of water with you, you can buy a fresh bottle in every port.

If your hair looks well done up in a pony tail, then also consider a messy bun for the eveings and bring along some pretty hair ornaments.

I use the ship's shampoo that is provided, but I also take a small container of a good conditioner to use after. The sea air and the wind turn my hair to straw without the conditioner. At home I use a two-in-one shampoo/conditioner every other day and don't need separate conditioning.

That's so true Dianne - I'm about 20 min from you in Westerville. This is definately a ponytail day - horrible humidity. Ugh!

OMG Kerry you are in my city! I never think about my hair when I am at home because I keep my air conditioner running overtime, but at work, where there is no AC, I feel like I just got out of the shower and wish I could make a ponytail. (I have to keep it so short doing that is impossible.) Do you live on the south side of town near an I-270 exit? I do.

Humidity is a whole other story...I have been living in ponytails all summer. As far as the cruise...buying water at every port seems like more of a hassle to me, so I'll probably just wear my hair "up". Thanks for your suggestions!

The ship's water seems really soft to me and I have had issues with getting the shampoo out if I use too much. I usually use the provided shampoo but bring a small size of my own conditioner because the shampoo/conditioner combos never do enough conditioning for me.

Any time it's hot or humid I seem to end up with my hair up anyway; hair on my neck just instantly makes me hot. But, at night I always style it down because I can't seem to make it look nice enough 'up' for evening.

I've never considered using the provided shampoo, I've washed my hands with it and it leaves my skin so dry I'd be afraid to.

But I do understand what the OP is stating, I have very fine hair with no body and it just falls flat on a cruise. I use just the tiniest amount of shampoo and conditioner and amp up my use of mousse and hairspray, everything works fine for me then.

It's probably the reason I don't need a full 3 oz. of shampoo and conditioner for the week, an ounce and a half is plenty of each for me. But I do need to bring along 2 travel sized cans of hairspray.

OMG Kerry you are in my city! I never think about my hair when I am at home because I keep my air conditioner running overtime, but at work, where there is no AC, I feel like I just got out of the shower and wish I could make a ponytail. (I have to keep it so short doing that is impossible.) Do you live on the south side of town near an I-270 exit? I do.

Yep! Grew up here. I live in Springborough - where are you? How can you work with no AC right now???? Its soooo hot and humid. That should be illegal :)

Went to the doc yesterday and found out I have pnemonia. She said I was NOT to leave the AC - like that was my plan all along lol.

:) Kerry

Humidity is a whole other story...I have been living in ponytails all summer. As far as the cruise...buying water at every port seems like more of a hassle to me, so I'll probably just wear my hair "up". Thanks for your suggestions!

There are a couple products that I have found work well too against humidity. I use Regis Designline Curl Lock leave in moisturizer and Paul Mitchells Super Skinny Serum. My son also uses the flat iron spray that Regis makes as well as a Regis Pomade and they work well on his super curly, thick, frizzy hair that the poor child got from me. He likes his hair poker straight.

Archived