Chichen ITZA or Dzibilchaltun

mikem1977

So we will be going to be in Progreso in November with a group of 9. Me, my wife, mother, sister and 5 kids (16, 16, 13, 13 12).

My sister really wants to go on the Chichen Itza excursion but I am really apprehensive with all of the kids and am more leaning towards Dzibilchaltun as it is a much shorter bus trip and the kids can touch stuff and swim. To me that will be much more relaxing but will we really be missing out by not going to Chichen Itza.

Thoughts or advice?

Chicnen Itza is in the Yucatan. Check out the Caribbean boards.

The Mexican Riviera is West Coast Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmm somebody pointed you in the wrong direction.

Yes you can take Chitz Itza tour from progresso, I have done so twice

It is one of the wonders of the world. Yeah the bus ride, but it is ok

You will enjoy

Chichen Itza is a world heritage site, it is the size of a real city, HUGE, and huge buildings. No, you cannot climb on anything. There will also be hundreds of visitors there. Bus loads of people coming from all over the Yucatan. The 2 hour bus ride will most likely be filled with a tour guide giving you the history and information about Chichen Itza and the Mayan world in general. If you love history, you'll love it.

I have been there but it was not by bus tour, we stayed overnight at a hotel and spent half a day with a private guide. It was absolutely amazing.

The other ruins are closer to Progreso, so yes shorter bus ride. It is also a smaller site. I have not been there so can't tell you if it is enjoyable.

We are going to be on a cruise going to Progreso next month and we are booked for the Uxmal ruins tour. It is supposed to be just as amazing as Chichen Itza with less tourists, buses, etc. I will post a report when I get back.

hope this all helps.

Yo are posting in the correct place. Progreso IS in the Yucatan. I've been to Dzib 3 times, the last was the first of July. It is a shorter tour and even though the ruins are smaller they are impressive. You can no longer climb on the House of the 7 Dolls. We went to Uxmal 2 years ago and I would suggest that over Chichen Itza. Shorter bus ride and there are no vendors allowed inside the ruins. Ive had friends who said that the vendors at CI will follow you around while you are trying to listen to your tour guide. Doing it with kids I might lean toward Dzib. The cenote is nice to get in after a hot day at the ruins.

We spend the winter in Progreso and our grandchild (13, 11,9) have spent time with us. From an adult point of view Uxmal is the best place to visit on a cruise ship tour. Most excursions take about 90 minutes to drive to Uxmal. The ruins are extraordinary and there are no vendors inside the ruins. There are vendors outside the entrance to the ruins. Again from an adults point of view Chichen Itza is extraordinary. If you have the time, it is a must see. The ruins are iconic and justly deserve their World Heritage Status. On the other hand a bus tour from Progreso is over 2 hours long, and you get there when all the tourists from Cancun and Progreso have arrived. There are vendors inside the grounds (a result of a long, complicated dispute over ownership of the ruins) which can be distracting. We try to get there by 8 AM (avoiding the crowds, vendors and heat of the day) and are out by 11 AM.

From a kids point of view, a trip to Dzibicheltun is the hands down winner. The ruins are smaller, they can climb on some of the ruins, they can take a swim in the fresh water cenote, they can visit the nice small museum and they will have time to swim in the ocean in Progreso. If your sister wants to see CI, let her go. She will have no problems on a ship excursion to CI.

We just got back from Dzib. with a group of 14 ages 6 to 70's. It was about a 25 minute ride from the ship. Those who wanted spent lots of time at the ruins and those who preferred spent more time at the cenote. There were multiple buildings, some that were climbable. Those who did that really enjoyed it. The cenote was great. One end was very shallow and rocky. The little ones played there. The fish would come up and poke at your feet which tickled. The other end was very deep- I think I was told it was 13 feet. People were diving/jumping in. The older kids/adults in our group loved it. The center was filled with water lilies.

There was a restaurant and a shop but can't tell you much about them. There were also clean bathrooms available to change.

I would have preferred to spend more time there but it did not work out this trip. We had plenty of time to play at the beach and do some shopping. If we go back to Progresso we would do this again.