Getaway May 2-9

GetawayCruiser

We booked a catemeran ride to Jost Van Dyke, since this will be the first sailing to Tortola we are curious to hear from anybody that has done this. Hoping this was a good choice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jost is a great place to visit. IMO the best island in the VI. Is your tour through the ship or private. Do you know where you are going on Jost? White bay or Great Harbor?

The answers to those questions will let us give you a lot more detail.

Our excursion is Escape to Jost Van Dyke, and there will be about 15 of our group going together. The more the merrier. I also hope we don't have to swim too far because I would like to bring my camera to the beach.

The last time we did this excursion we had about a 50 yard swim, whihc was no big deal but we were dropped of in about 15 feet of water, again no big deal, but if you ant to take a camera with you it needs to be water proof or you need a very good system to keep it dry.

Be sure to walk up and down the beach exploring all of the bars.

Tuesday will not be a buys day even if one of the luxury lines is using the island for a beach break that day.

Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi Getaway cruiser! We are sailing on the Getaway on 5/23. I'm wondering if you liked jost van dyke and if you have any recommendations or suggestions since you just returned? Thanks

White Bay is a beautiful beach but is a beach bar destination and has grown in popularity in recent years unfortunately. The addition of the Soggy $ website probably hasn't helped.

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam.aspx

Seddy performs magic and card tricks at his place and is entertaining, and Ivan's Stress Free Bar is a great spot. Seddy's dad's place in Great Harbor (Foxy's) is a fun spot too, much less busy and Foxy is also entertaining with his music and storytelling. You probably won't have enough time to spent time in both areas so White Bay will be your spot. WB can get very crowded during the day, many daytrippers are dropped in boats from Tortola and from STT, but you can escape the main crowd by walking away from the Soggy $.

If looking for a nice, quiet gorgeous beach you'll want to consider Smuggler's Cove, Long Bay (Beef Island), or perhaps Brewers Bay all of which are on Tortola. But White Bay and the bars there are fun if that's what you're looking for.

Blue_water do you know anything about Abi Beach? NCL getaway offers an excursion via a catamaran from Charlotte Amalie Harbor. There are no reviews of this excursion so I'm a little skeptical. Thank you for all your information.

Blue_water do you know anything about Abi Beach? NCL getaway offers an excursion via a catamaran from Charlotte Amalie Harbor. There are no reviews of this excursion so I'm a little skeptical. Thank you for all your information.

That's a new spot on St Thomas apparently, we haven't been there. it's on the south end between French Bay and Green Cay, someone on the St Thomas forum may have more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Getaway and we went to JVD on a Wednesday. White Bay is gorgeous and we loved the Soggy Dollar. We did the Kuralu charter which we enjoyed very much. My only complaint would be that we wished we had more time on JVD.

Neptune:

Since you took the Kuralu charter over to White Bay / JVD - how much time did you have there, versus the other stops you guys made on the sail? Also, did you just hang at the beach and go to the Sand Dollar on JVD? Aka a shortened beach day there and then snorkeling/swimming/cruising on the other parts?

Thanks!

Kuralu usually stops at Sandy Spit for snorkeling but we didin't have enough time as our all aboard time on the Getaway was pretty early. We still had a few hours at White Bay, but some of our time was spent having lunch on the boat. You should email Gary at Kuralu and tell him what you're looking for.

The east itinerary is excellent for the most time spent snorkeling (Norman Caves, Indians) and the west for some snorkeling and beach time (JVD, Green Cay, Sandy Spit) typically 2 - 3 hours on Jost including lunch on the boat. If you are the first booking and have enough people Gary at Kuralu and at Joe at Patouche will customize the trip for you (with safety and weather considerations in mind of course).

Good sailing!:)