New MDR Menus being tested on Gem

Gershep

Sailed on the Gem, 6/13-21. Captain and Executive Chef informed us at Cruise Critic Meet & Greet that it was the first week of testing new MDR menus. If feedback is good these new menus will be on the Escape and will go fleetwide. Every night they gave you a little survey card to fill out if you wanted to give your opinion on the meal.

Unfortunately my camera broke so I am unable to load new menus. We ate in the MDR every night and the food was very good. I noticed a lot of fish entrees.

These four dishes are on the menu every night:

Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken

Sauteed Lemon Sole

Penne Arrabiata (spicy garlic sauce) IMO not too spicy

Strip Loin Steak

Every night soups, salads and appetizers were different. Here is a sample:

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Soup

NO MORE ONION SOUP

Watermelon, Shrimp & Mozzarella

Breaded Mushrooms

Main Course (Some of the choices during the 8 nights):

Shrimp & Linguine

Eggplant Tower

Gnocchi

Spicy Sausage & Linguine

Broiled Salmon

Swordfish Carpaccio

Chicken Parmigiana

Prime Rib (Served twice)

Mixed BBQ

Lamb Shank

Garlic Shrimp

Cajun Shrimp & Braised Short Ribs

Corvina Oven Roasted Turkey

Rainbow Trout

Linguine & Scallops

Spice Red Dai Lentil Curry

Desert:

Bananas Foster

Warm Chocolate Volcano

Minted Berry Tiramisu

Tiramisu

Banana Boat

Ice Cream

There were many, many other soups, salads, entrees and deserts. These were just a few I jotted down. IMO the deserts were not too good, I am a big desert lover.

Hopefully someone on the Gem will be able to post the actual menus but I just wanted ccer's to know that new menus are now being tested.

We enjoyed the MDR food on the Sun in May, but I'm up for improvements too! My DH will be glad to hear they are getting rid of the onion soup, which in our case was advertised as French onion soup.

Looks good, especially the seafood offerings. I'm not surprised to hear about the desserts being lacking. That's pretty universal among all the lines I've sailed. Snagging a chocolate croissant at breakfast, and having hand-dipped ice cream at the Lido satisfies my sweet tooth well enough, but I can see where not-so-good desserts would be a real disappointment for some.

They are supposed to have new menus fleetwide by the end of July. I sail Aug first so I assume it will be on the ship when I sail. I am interested to see how it is. Of course it's been 12 years since I sailed NCL, so I don't remember what I ate back then but I do remember liking the food.

We enjoyed the MDR food on the Sun in May, but I'm up for improvements too! My DH will be glad to hear they are getting rid of the onion soup, which in our case was advertised as French onion soup.

We were on the Gem Dec. '14 and they had new menus, which in our opinion, needed help! Very salty food, not that many choices and too many repeats of Pasta dishes, etc.

We will be on the Sun in Oct. '15 and hope the new menu will be revamped with lots less salt.

Thanks for the update. Safe sails.

So will the new menus roll out fleetwide in September when the Escape begins sailing, or next week when July begins? We sail July 19th on the Breakaway.

It's "supposed" to be out on all ships by the end of July

Initially at the Meet & Greet the Captain had said we were testing the menu for the Escape. Later on in the week we went to the Q&A with the Officers and it was said that the menus will be going fleet wide but did not give a date.

I remember seeing 2 souffles, could be more but I don't know for sure. One was a pistachio souffle at lunch in the Grand Pacific on Embarkation. My son ordered it and it was delicious. Had to be the best desert of the week. We were hoping it would be served again but it never was.

Initially at the Meet & Greet the Captain had said we were testing the menu for the Escape. Later on in the week we went to the Q&A with the Officers and it was said that the menus will be going fleet wide but did not give a date.

I remember seeing 2 souffles, could be more but I don't know for sure. One was a pistachio souffle at lunch in the Grand Pacific on Embarkation. My son ordered it and it was delicious. Had to be the best desert of the week. We were hoping it would be served again but it never was.

They told you that you were testing the menus. Were you asked for feedback? Or were they just checking the dirty dishes to see if you finished?

Edited by BamaVol

The waiter /waitress would put a blue survey card on your table. It asked you what entrée you ordered and to rate from excellent to poor. You also were asked questions about the wait crew. There was room to leave comments.

The waiter /waitress would put a blue survey card on your table. It asked you what entrée you ordered and to rate from excellent to poor. You also were asked questions about the wait crew. There was room to leave comments.

So there's hope for better desserts. :D

BTW, thanks for you post.

Edited by BamaVol

So there's hope for better desserts. :D

BTW, thanks for you post.

Don't spend too much time hoping. NCL is famous for the bad deserts that just look pretty. I had high hopes for the chocolate volcano thingie, but I guess it might have erupted and just burned out.

One was a pistachio souffle at lunch in the Grand Pacific on Embarkation. My son ordered it and it was delicious. Had to be the best desert of the week. We were hoping it would be served again but it never was.

Sounds tasty!

If you have a dessert you like from a previous meal you can ask your server the next day if there is anymore. Very often they'll be able to get it for you.

I was on the Gem the very end of May. They were starting some of the new menu items then. We thought that they were very good. One night I had steak and it was excellent. You must try tbe Nutella Pots de creme on chocolate night.

Bonni

Well here is my .02 cents, no change needed. I personally liked the menu's better, prior to the year ago or so changes. I'm not a fish eater and do not usually order pasta at dinner. Basically you can give me a prime rib any night of the week and I'm happy. I do miss some of the appetizer's they had on the previous menu's, but here's the thing. I am a huge Chicken Wing fan also and have no problem eating at Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehan's every night, I've done that. I also love their French fries. So if there is nothing on the main dining room menus I see appealing, I guarantee you I WILL NOT go hungry. Once I made my dinner of 2 bowl's of soup and bread with butter which I thoroughly enjoyed. I find it hard to believe anyone can come off an NCL ship stating there was nothing good to eat. If I want just an appetizer on the main dining room menu and nothing more, I'll get it (usually to go) then I'll go get what ever else trips my palate. Like being a kid in a candy store. Getaway 8/29 here we come !!!!!

I don't recall seeing any cold soups and I usually always looked to order a soup.

They served the chocolate volcano more than once on this sailing.

I agree there is always something to order. Some nights the portions were smaller than others but we never left a MDR feeling hungry.

We noticed on the Dawn two weeks ago, that they had a featured item in the buffet, every night. This ranged from Prime Rib, Roast Turkey, and other dishes which I can't recall. I have to say that the turkey was delicious. Is NCL doing this on other ships as well?

My husband was disappointed to find that salmon was removed from the "always available,' side of the MDR menu. He was able to order it, when it appeared on that night's menu. It would be nice to see salmon returned to the left side of the MDR menu.

BTW, I saw the Gem in port when I was in Portland, Maine on Thursday. It was a beautiful sight.

We noticed on the Dawn two weeks ago, that they had a featured item in the buffet, every night. This ranged from Prime Rib, Roast Turkey, and other dishes which I can't recall. I have to say that the turkey was delicious. Is NCL doing this on other ships as well?

My husband was disappointed to find that salmon was removed from the "always available,' side of the MDR menu. He was able to order it, when it appeared on that night's menu. It would be nice to see salmon returned to the left side of the MDR menu.

BTW, I saw the Gem in port when I was in Portland, Maine on Thursday. It was a beautiful sight.

Just a little side note for you. If when you get on board, you look up the head chef or Maître D (sorry if I misspelled) maybe at the main dining room for lunch, and ask if there is any salmon on board (which I'm sure there is) he would most likely be very accommodating to your wishes for salmon for dinner as long as he knows which Dining room and the time you plan for dinner. NCL has pulled off some amazing things. Good Luck to you. I know what it's like to lose a favorite menu item.

:)

Sailed on the Gem, 6/13-21. Captain and Executive Chef informed us at Cruise Critic Meet & Greet that it was the first week of testing new MDR menus. If feedback is good these new menus will be on the Escape and will go fleetwide. Every night they gave you a little survey card to fill out if you wanted to give your opinion on the meal.

Unfortunately my camera broke so I am unable to load new menus. We ate in the MDR every night and the food was very good. I noticed a lot of fish entrees.

These four dishes are on the menu every night:

Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken

Sauteed Lemon Sole

Penne Arrabiata (spicy garlic sauce) IMO not too spicy

Strip Loin Steak

Every night soups, salads and appetizers were different. Here is a sample:

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Soup

NO MORE ONION SOUP

Watermelon, Shrimp & Mozzarella

Breaded Mushrooms

Main Course (Some of the choices during the 8 nights):

Shrimp & Linguine

Eggplant Tower

Gnocchi

Spicy Sausage & Linguine

Broiled Salmon

Swordfish Carpaccio

Chicken Parmigiana

Prime Rib (Served twice)

Mixed BBQ

Lamb Shank

Garlic Shrimp

Cajun Shrimp & Braised Short Ribs

Corvina Oven Roasted Turkey

Rainbow Trout

Linguine & Scallops

Spice Red Dai Lentil Curry

Desert:

Bananas Foster

Warm Chocolate Volcano

Minted Berry Tiramisu

Tiramisu

Banana Boat

Ice Cream

There were many, many other soups, salads, entrees and deserts. These were just a few I jotted down. IMO the deserts were not too good, I am a big desert lover.

Hopefully someone on the Gem will be able to post the actual menus but I just wanted ccer's to know that new menus are now being tested.

sounds good:)