NCL Baths Excursion

kickbutt10

We are going to be on the NCL Getaway in Tortola on 10/7/15. We have tried to find an excursion to The Baths with little success. It seems that boat outfits are taking that time to have their boats serviced or they are on vacation in preparation for the busy season. I have tried Kuralu, Aristocat, Mystique and a couple others. Patouche would do it but I am apprehensive because he wants to get us back with just a few minutes to spare. I am just not comfortable with that.

We are trying to decide what to do. Unless we find something else, we have two options. Taking the ferry ourselves which sounds pretty simple or taking NCL's excursion. From the time indicated on NCL's site, it sounds like they may be using Speedy's 9am ferry. Does anyone know if that is true? I am asking because if they are, would there be any advantage to attempting to do it on our own? It would be more expensive, but not much. If this is the case, I don't think it would be any less crowded on our own because we would arrive at the same time.

Any thoughts?

The one difference with going on your own is you could take the Smith's 2:15 return ferry rather than Speedy's 1:30 return and get another 45 minutes to shop/lunch. Not a lot of time for the extra $10pp but it is more time.

Your BOB time is 3:30 so the 3:00 return would be cutting it too close...

If Joe says he'll have you back in time to get to your ship by 3:30 take Patouche, a much nicer experience.

We will be in Tortola on October 12th and are working out a trip to the Baths as well. I have read that Speedy's is not operating September and October so am trying to figure out how to make it work. I would love to hear some alternatives.

Hopefully the link will show up.

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm

The footnote to Speedy's Ferry says ** Ferry suspended during Sept & Oct". :eek:

Maybe it's only certain runs?

aah... yes it's just the 11PM Wed and 7PM Sunday ferries. But I would rely more on the actual ferry company sites -

http://www.bviferries.com/index.html

http://bviferryservices.com/

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

I did the NCL excursion to the Baths this past week. It was on a Speedys ferry, but only people from the NCL ship were on the ferry. We left a few about 8:15 am, and it was about a 35 minute ride to VG. From there, a group of safari buses took us to the top of the Baths. (about a 10 minute ride) Then you had the choice of path to either Devils Bay or directly to the Baths. We were there till meeting time back at the top of the Baths around 11:30 for the ride back to the ferry. You could probably get more time by taking the ferry on your own, but I saw probably everything there was to see in the time I was there...

I did the NCL excursion to the Baths this past week. It was on a Speedys ferry, but only people from the NCL ship were on the ferry. We left a few about 8:15 am, and it was about a 35 minute ride to VG. From there, a group of safari buses took us to the top of the Baths. (about a 10 minute ride) Then you had the choice of path to either Devils Bay or directly to the Baths. We were there till meeting time back at the top of the Baths around 11:30 for the ride back to the ferry. You could probably get more time by taking the ferry on your own, but I saw probably everything there was to see in the time I was there...

Yes that was probably plenty of time to enjoy the Baths and beach. For others who are planning a visit to Virgin Gorda, going on your own often does give you more time and you could add a stop at the Mine Shaft Cafe for lunch and the amazing panoramic view, or perhsps shopping in Spanishtown followed by lunch at the Bath & Turtle. A short tour of the Valley area is also nice with Savannah Bay and Spring Bay, and taxi fares are very reasonable. Nice day - thanks!

How was the ferry ride? I know water conditions will be different each time but I was curious on how much movement you feel on the ferry.

Thanks!

How was the ferry ride? I know water conditions will be different each time but I was curious on how much movement you feel on the ferry.

Thanks!

No problem at all on the ferry ride. I was on the very top on the way, but chose to be on the middle deck (shade) close to the stairway for the ride back.

Thanks everyone! I am so up in the air. We will most likely take the ferry on our own. I would have loved to have done the tour with Patouche but he is making me very nervous about getting back to the ship in time. I would have love to have a choice like Kuralu or Aristocat but as of now, they aren't not sure if they will be operating that day.

I guess I did get my answer that NCL is taking Speedy's ferry around 9 am so I don't think I would be able to get there any earlier to beat the crowd. Bluewater-don't you think we could go to another spot on VG first and then go to the Baths as the cruise folks are leaving? Then we could catch Smith's back or would that be too close?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone! I am so up in the air. We will most likely take the ferry on our own. I would have loved to have done the tour with Patouche but he is making me very nervous about getting back to the ship in time. I would have love to have a choice like Kuralu or Aristocat but as of now, they aren't not sure if they will be operating that day.

I guess I did get my answer that NCL is taking Speedy's ferry around 9 am so I don't think I would be able to get there any earlier to beat the crowd. Bluewater-don't you think we could go to another spot on VG first and then go to the Baths as the cruise folks are leaving? Then we could catch Smith's back or would that be too close?

When I read this post, I think to myself that there is a lot of time, worry and stress in it. I would take the ship's excursion and relax. And that is exactly what we did when we were on the Pearl.

One guy who was doing it on his own thought he would be all smart with me asking what ferry we were on, etc. I told him I didn't know. I paid someone else to worry about those details. :)

When I read this post, I think to myself that there is a lot of time, worry and stress in it. I would take the ship's excursion and relax. And that is exactly what we did when we were on the Pearl.

One guy who was doing it on his own thought he would be all smart with me asking what ferry we were on, etc. I told him I didn't know. I paid someone else to worry about those details. :)

It's a very easy self-excursion, and for someone wanting to get the most time on the island - even if it costs a little more - that's definitely the way to go. Otherwise the ship option is best if you're more comfortable with that and aren't looking for the most time to see other areas....

• 2 weeks later...
It's a very easy self-excursion, and for someone wanting to get the most time on the island - even if it costs a little more - that's definitely the way to go. Otherwise the ship option is best if you're more comfortable with that and aren't looking for the most time to see other areas....

I think we will tackle it on our own. Thanks for everyone's advice,

• 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions of what to bring and what not to bring?

I.e. towels, backpacks (will it get wet), etc...

Thanks - booked with NCL on our August cruise...

We would take a light "string backpack" just to hold towels, water, and sunscreen, and perhaps carry a water-resistant bag for our camera and cash/cc. I guess just think of it as a hike and you only want to carry what you really need.

There are lockers at the Poorman's Bar which is at the end of the trail down to the beach. But once you go through the boulders you're at Bevils Bay beach, and you'll walk up a path from there to the top. So unless you're walking back to where you came down the lockers don't help. So just pack light, your string backpack shouldn't get wet but it frees up your hands well.