Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Has anyone experienced local currency problems in Dubrovnik. I will be travelling with euros and wondered if they can be used in Dubrovnik. I understand there are currency exchange places at the port but only intend to have change for walking the wall. Can I use euros for that?

Has anyone experienced local currency problems in Dubrovnik. I will be travelling with euros and wondered if they can be used in Dubrovnik. I understand there are currency exchange places at the port but only intend to have change for walking the wall. Can I use euros for that?

The city walls are open from 0800 until 1900 daily. You may use Euros, Dollars or Croatian Kuna at any of the 3 entrances. However they may not have enough change if you present larger bills. I was just on the walls yesterday and I know this to be true. There are several ATM's located on the main promenade which is called the Stradun where you can obtain our local currency. Some shops do accept Euros or credit cards, but it is hit or miss. May I suggest you obtain a small amount of our local currency while visiting Dubrovnik. You can always spend whatever is left buying small bottle of water, pastry or a gellato on your way out of the old town.

Thank you so much Dubrovniktravellady.......it's nice to know that euros are accepted, but we will take your advice & get a few kuna when we arrive. Can you recommend the best/least congested entrance to the walls and where that is.

Thank you so much Dubrovniktravellady.......it's nice to know that euros are accepted, but we will take your advice & get a few kuna when we arrive. Can you recommend the best/least congested entrance to the walls and where that is.

Taking a taxi to the Ploce (plo-cha) entrance, which is the eastern side of town you will find an entrance located on the walk down into the old town. If you take the ship shuttle bus into the old town, yo will arrive at the Pile (pill-eh) entrance. The main entrance to the city walls is located just inside this entrance, however it is usually very busy.

I walked the wall yesterday with friends, it was hot and there is very little shade. Bring water, a hat and very good walking shoes. As we approached the Pile area, we noticed about 50 people just waiting. Why bother to wait for 1/2 hour when you can go right up, at either the Ploce or another near to the aquarium.

The walls open at 0800 and it's best to get up there as early as possible. Bring your camera with lots of memory, the views are spectacular.

Enjoy your time here.

Taking a taxi to the Ploce (plo-cha) entrance, which is the eastern side of town you will find an entrance located on the walk down into the old town. If you take the ship shuttle bus into the old town, yo will arrive at the Pile (pill-eh) entrance. The main entrance to the city walls is located just inside this entrance, however it is usually very busy.

I walked the wall yesterday with friends, it was hot and there is very little shade. Bring water, a hat and very good walking shoes. As we approached the Pile area, we noticed about 50 people just waiting. Why bother to wait for 1/2 hour when you can go right up, at either the Ploce or another near to the aquarium.

The walls open at 0800 and it's best to get up there as early as possible. Bring your camera with lots of memory, the views are spectacular.

Enjoy your time here.

Zdravo Dubrovniktravelady,

In another thread you recommended the Orhan restaurant. I have two questions about that place, 1. Is it near the Ploce gate or the Pile gate? We are planning to eat there after walking the wall, so with that in mind at which gate would you suggest we finish our walk? 2. Do they serve the grilled squid there too? I can't wait to taste that dish. I love squid.

Hvala for your help. (I'm training myself to use it) :)

Dobro Jutro Sun Dapple:

Noticed you're from the bay area, I was living in El Dorado county prior to my move here to Dubrovnik. Coldest 4th of July I ever spent was in SFO, but one of the greatest cities around.

Must be something about the 4th in SF. I remember one year there at a Giant's game at the old Candlestick park where I was wearing a heavy coat and still was shivering. Great game, but oh, so cold! But of course, that was also all about the 'Stick.

Thank you so much for all your information and assistance. I'm so looking forward to my visit in August. The hardest part will be choosing which restaurant to choose!

Speaking of which, is there one you'd recommend for a single lady? I'm traveling alone, and while I'm never uncomfortable in a restaurant, some seem to just be more accommodating and not feel like I'm taking a table which could bring in more revenue.

Headed out today and our ship will be stopping in Drubrovnik. We were there four years ago and I had the best calamari I have ever had. My husband had equally delicious seppia. I hope we can find the restaurant again. All I remember is that it was down an alley. Did the wall the last time; the views were spectaular. This time I think we will just explore the town, and eat of course!!!

We were just there last week, no problem using euros everywhere we went, taxi, ice cream, wine shops, fee for walking the wall and even the little bar out through the wall. One person we were with said that one ice cream place would not take euros so they just went to the next door that did. In general, divide by 5 for US prices and by 7 for euro prices.

The seafood in Dubrovnik is very good! We found ourselves at the Orhan last week and had the seafood platter for 2. We have found grilled squid/calamari at a few places as we go along, its one of our favorites, mostly found the calamari in Italy. If its cut up at all, it is usually only sliced part way for a visual appeal, and it will be the whole calamari, not just parts, we only saw one place that had rings and that was a place that had them fried.

What else to see or do in our 1 day in Dubrovnik? My husband probably won't climb to the top of the wall (his knees are much older than the rest of him); we'll LOVE the squid.... but what else?

• 4 weeks later...
We were just there last week, no problem using euros everywhere we went, taxi, ice cream, wine shops, fee for walking the wall and even the little bar out through the wall. One person we were with said that one ice cream place would not take euros so they just went to the next door that did. In general, divide by 5 for US prices and by 7 for euro prices.

How do I find the hole in the wall with the little bar and what is it called

We took a few mis-turns trying to find the hole in the wall, there are two, one place has cover over the tables the other was more exposed, I think they are owned by the same people though. I forget the name, but the sign doesn't really say the name, it just says Cold Drinks or something like that. If you walk the wall first, it helps you find the hole later, it gives you a better visual of where you need to go. If you look at the tour of the old town at this link, we got out to number 29 and then just walked along the base of the wall from there. Both places are on your left if you go this way.

What else to see or do in our 1 day in Dubrovnik? My husband probably won't climb to the top of the wall (his knees are much older than the rest of him); we'll LOVE the squid.... but what else?

How about a a day trip to the 3 Elaphite islands or take a ferry to Lopud , depending on how much time you have.

How about a a day trip to the 3 Elaphite islands or take a ferry to Lopud , depending on how much time you have.

A day trip to the Elefiti's would take too much time. This trip should not be done unless one has more than just one afternoon in town. Visiting all 3 islands is a must, they are more than spectacular. The all day trip usually cost about 250 Kuna per person, includes lunch and unlimited wine or beer. Wonderful trip!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in port on August 10th and tendering. We arrive at 10 AM and depart at 6 PM. I am thinking it is going to be really HOT and would like to go snorkeling, possibly after or before walking the wall. There is a ship excursion (snorkeling)that goes to Mlini. Has anyone done this on RCCL and is there time after to walk the wall? Dubrovniktravelady, what is your advice? Thanks!:)

We will be in port on August 10th and tendering. We arrive at 10 AM and depart at 6 PM. I am thinking it is going to be really HOT and would like to go snorkeling, possibly after or before walking the wall. There is a ship excursion (snorkeling)that goes to Mlini. Has anyone done this on RCCL and is there time after to walk the wall? Dubrovniktravelady, what is your advice? Thanks!:)

Dubrovnik port authority shows RCCL at dock 10 in the Gruz harbor, which is on the very far western side of town. Mlini is a small town located east of the old town port of Dubrovnik. You could not possibly do this snorkeling trip and walk the walls and stop for a cold drink. August will be hot and humid, I guarantee this fact.

Arriving at 10am means you'll arrive in the old town about 11am and must be back on ship by 5pm, latest. Snorkeling in the Adriatic is nothing close to Hawaii or the Caribbean, we have very little coral reefs left and our fish are only good to eat, not very colorful.

You could take a short hope over to Lokrum if you want to swim and cool down. But do understand Lokrum does not have any walk in type of beach, you can only jump off the rocky edges into the sea. A lovely island to wander and stop for a cold drink at the small café.

Thank you so much for your reply! I posted this question on another thread last week, but didn't get any replies, so your advice is greatly appreciated! We look forward to Dubrovnik and I was really hoping to see some of the Elafiti islands, but am not sure that there is sufficient time, especially since we are tendering and I have heard about delays getting off the ship. We will just have to plan to come back and spend a longer period of time in your beautiful country!

Thank you so much for your reply! I posted this question on another thread last week, but didn't get any replies, so your advice is greatly appreciated! We look forward to Dubrovnik and I was really hoping to see some of the Elafiti islands, but am not sure that there is sufficient time, especially since we are tendering and I have heard about delays getting off the ship. We will just have to plan to come back and spend a longer period of time in your beautiful country!

If you're on the Brilliance on 10 August, you will docked at pier 10 in the Gruz harbor. This is always subject to change, but as of now I do not see any RCCL ship at tender on that date. However there is not sufficient time to visit the Elefiti's. Please do not try to make this trip in such a short time.

I choose to retire in Dubrovnik from northern California. I could not have made a better choice. Please do know that I have been coming here since 1971 and I have dual citizenship, American and Croatian. Croatia has long been Europe's best kept secret and I've seen it before the masses began to discover what was before thought of as a nothing place to visit. Perhaps the name Yugoslavia had something to do with this poor perception. so often friends would ask "Why are you going to Yugoslavia again?" Please do come and spend some time visiting the sights from Zagreb to Dubrovnik, about 3 weeks minimum. the most spectacular lakes and waterfalls are Plitvice Lakes, you can't even begin to imagine it. So much to see...

We just got back from our cruise. Our first port was Dubrovnik and they did NOT accept anything except kuna for the wall and many shops only took kuna as well.

There have been some major changes to the ticketing this past month at the city walls and perhaps you encountered one of the new people. However i guarantee the walls will accept Kuna, Dollars or Euros. As for some of the shops, it's hit or miss with Euros. Some private owned shops do accept Euros and the government owned shops will only accept Kuna. Since the Kuna is the legal currency of Croatia, it's advisable to obtain some at one of the local ATM machines on the main promenade.