Disappointed in Boudicca

A one night mini cruise - Bristol to Liverpool - isn't long enough to form a judgement about a ship or a cruise line, but it gives a flavour and I'm not certain that Boudicca is going to be to our taste. Especially as the smell of fuel oil seemed to permeate several areas.

We had a suite. Good size, comfortable with plenty of storage but dated. Bathroom with full size tub but no bath plug, so unusable. If we'd been on board for more than one night we would have complained. But it showed a lack of attention to detail. No toiletries or shower cap and no soap other than a dispenser, which when I pressed for the first time deposited liquid over my trousers.

Having a limited palate I liked the selection of food - very British. On Crystal two months ago I described their menus as "complicated" and "very complicated". Unfortunately the actual quality of the food on Boudicca was only average. Afternoon tea was poor consisting of a choice of mushroom pate sandwich (I don't like mushrooms but my wife said 'not to worry' as the sandwiches she chose had no pate on it - and the bread was dry), a slice of chocolate sponge, a cookie and a pink cup-cake. But the tea was good.

At the buffet lunch I ordered a dessert from the menu. After 15 minutes I enquired where it was? It was found immediately sitting on the waiters' bar and when delivered was a sea of melting ice cream. No apology.

I found the staff friendly and attentive - when called, but they spent too much time chatting together. Doubt they would make the grade on a line such as Celebrity or Princess.

Drink prices were better than on many ships but our waiter didn't understand the difference between Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon, following which we were presented three times with an incorrect bill.

And it seems Fred's left and right hands don't speak to each other (I'd been quite determined not to personify a cruise line, but got dragged in). Example [1] cruise docs said "Embarkation will start at 1.30pm". On arrival at the port the sign said 2.15pm. We got on at 2.45. [2] we booked 8.30pm late sitting dinner because being Bristolians we wanted to film the sail away at 7pm. All dinner reservations were changed to 7.30pm - and the ship left late, so we missed one of the main reasons for being on Boudicca. [3] All cabins must be vacated by 8.30am according to our reservation. By 10am (thank you) according to The Daily Times. [4] Afternoon tea will be served from 3.45pm said The Daily Times. From 3pm said the captain in his (very good) noon briefing. [5] The ship will dock at 4.30pm for disembarkation at 5pm said the general information leaflet. The ship will dock at 3.30pm announced the captain (probably explains the change to tea time).

Enjoyed the entertainment very much. Better than some more up-market lines.

Boudicca is well maintained but to anybody who has sailed on more modern vessels you do wonder whether the thickness of the paint or the actual metal is holding things together. It's probably the metal.

However what truly amazed me was the loyalty of Fred's people on the ship. "You can't beat Fred", one lady told me. Asked what other cruise lines she'd been on the answer was none. However many others also sang Fred's praises (Thomson seemed to be the norm by which most reached this judgement).

It is beyond doubt, at least my doubt, that Fred Olsen has a very loyal following. And that's fine; that's what a holiday is all about - being relaxed and enjoying your environment.

I tried to open the minds of some to other cruise lines, but if it wasn't Fred, Thomson, P&O or Cunard they didn't want to know.

We wouldn't rule out a Fred Olsen ship if the itinerary was one we were looking for as their pricing is very reasonable, but it would probably have to be Balmoral or Braemar (judging by the deck plans) as they seem to have proper restaurants rather than seats and tables in wide corridors.

I'm probably going to have to go into hiding now before Fred's fans find me.

What a shame you didn't 't enjoy your short trip - I am not sure a mini cruise gives a good flavour of the cruise line.

I have travelled with many cruise lines, mainly American ones and none of them have the standard of customer service you receive on Fred Olsen. I enjoy every aspect of my cruise with Fred and am looking forward to my cruise on Boudicca in September. After that, who knows who I will cruise with but if Fred comes up with the goods at a competitive cost then I will be with them again. :D

The timing of events on embarkation and on the disembarkation day are always a little flexible due to external factors so other times have to move around them.

Unfortunately on a one day cruise you only get to experience the variations as those two events cover the entirety of your 'cruise'.

Your concerns with the bath-plug and toiletries wouldn't normally have needed anything as strong as a 'complaint' just a quick request to the cabin stewardess and all would have been fixed a few minutes later.

The staff problems in the restaurant are regrettable and I suspect strongly linked to the fact that it was only a one day cruise. On a normal cruise, your waiting team would have quickly got to know you and would go out of their way to make sure you were happy. We've even had a waiter who wasn't even serving our table, remember us from a previous cruise and he came over specially to welcome us back.

I think you'd find the normal menus pretty much to your liking as the food does lean more towards plain cooking than some of the other lines we cruise on.

Breamar and Balmoral are indeed our favourite Fred Ships.

I wouldn't judge a cruise line or ship by a one night cruise.

Cruised with all those mentioned except Cunard plus RCI and HAL.

I sometimes think comparing cruise lines and ships is like comparing a 5 star hotel to a bed and breakfast to an apartment to a caravan holiday etc etc etc.

It all depends on what you want from that particular cruise.

I would not want to cruise every time with Fred, whilst we like Fred, we also like the more slick and luxurious ships of say RCI. We also like Thomsons for let's say the more "fun"type of cruise.

Sometimes on CC here we expect perfection from our cruise lines.

Happy cruising ....

First time for me & I was not disappointed.

On a one night cruise, there must be a short turn around of getting people off & back on again so a little bit of waiting is really no problem - we waited for an hour or more but it really was no big deal.

The ship was only sailing at half capacity so they did the best thing for the ship & instead of 2 meal sittings; they split the difference & changed it to 7.30pm - no big problem there either.

I guess this also was the reason for changing the time for leaving the cabin - less passengers to turn around so they let us have an extra 1 1/2 hours in there - bonus!

Is it really a problem the short difference in timing of the afternoon tea? The ship clearly was ahead of it's scheduled time so they wanted to disembark people earlier so afternoon tea was brought forward! Again, no big deal!

Shame the staff you had spent more time chatting - all the ones we had were very attentive - couldn't fault them.

Not sure what you mean about restaurants being seats & tables iin wide corridors - we liked the intimate smaller dining rooms that we were in.

All good constructive criticism & good to see you are not completely put off sailing with Fred - we will return most certainly!

Yes although not on your cruise,I have traveled many times with Fred., and quite a few other lines,Fred., has certainly gone downhill but has a very loyal following of a certain age.Toiletries were the norm,quality food the norm,maintenance of small things eg. plugs don,t seem to be priority anymore

His ships are well maintained for ships of that age.I,ve been on worse and far younger ships.

My last cruise with Fred., was this year a reposition cruise on Braemar,lovely ship ,layout ,good if not quality food,many things need replacing,staff 1st, class ,cabin lady ,didn,t see her once ,so didn,t know who to tip, complained 3 times about the toilet overflowing ,rusty sink chain off, etc.nothing done, so presumed new vacuum system needed.

I have sailed on ALL Freds.,ships, Boudicca my favorite for stability,Braemar light and spacious,Black Watch,Black Prince and Balmoral ,yes all have their good and bad points ,have do all ships ,people go back to Fred., because they feel comfortable with their fellow cruisers.

Try him again ,perhaps a week on Balmoral may change your mind.I think the line deserves a second chance.:)

The responses - to date - do show that Fred attracts ladies and gentlemen with open minds. On some threads I would have been excoriated for making even the mildest criticism of their beloved cruise line. Thank you for your tolerance.

We also did a mini cruise on Boudicca and vowed never to go back. However a trip came up from Avonmouth a local port for us and we just had to do it. It was a fabulous cruise and we would now try Fred again at some stage although our favourite line will always be Silversea! Not a surprise maybe but FO we thought this time was good value and fun.

• 2 months later...