Recommendations for Port Private tours

jhenry1

We just returned from a 14 day tour of South America and we booked all private tours in all the ports and I am going to give you some names of great guides in some of the ports. Our cruise was from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

In Santiago we were met at the airport and taken to our hotel and then on a city tour. Fernando Ulloa Navarro from Chile Fun tours. Fernando speaks very good English and very professional and very prompt. I would highly recommend him. chilefuntours@gmail.com Responds very quickly to emails and you pay when you arrive.

Then from our hotel in Santiago we used Herbert Brasche to pick us up and take us to the ship. Fernando was booked and he suggested Herbert and he was also great. Very prompt and speaks very good English. We did a wine tasting tour on the way to the port and a city tour of Vina Del Mar and also Valparaiso. Great service and I would highly recommend him. Herbert Brasche at thomaz3863@gmail.com.

In Montevideo we used Herbert Sismondi and he also was very good. Speaks very good English and very prompt and responds quickly. his email is hsis@adinet.com.uy

All of these guides require payment on the day of the tours.

Other suggestions in Puenta Arenas I suggest not going to see the penguins. Very long drive and a very dusty road and not many penguins and you cannot get close to them. Go on a city tour. The best place to see penguins is in the Falklands and also Puerto Madryn. Both of these areas a great but both are very long rides but worth it.

We also used Carlos Galando in Puerto Montt and we were suppose to have a driver he contacted in Puenta arenas but he never showed. Carlos sent someone else in Puerto Montt and it turned out okay but they also were late to meet us. What I am saying is I would not recommend Carlos Galando. I was not happy with his service.

Hope this will help some of you that are going to South America. We enjoyed our cruise although I would not return to South America as there is not a lot to see or do in any of these ports. Just my opinion. I am glad we went but would not return. Also be very careful in Buenos Aires as we had a driver and were with another couple and in a very nice area at high noon right in front of a nice restaurant and entering the front door a young man came up behind me as I was entering and ripped my gold Rolex off my arm. It happened so quickly. We were all okay and we did file a police report. He jumped on the back of a motorcycle that came by and was gone.

Kandy from Texas

We exchanged money yesterday @13.4 pesos per dollar on the blue market. Our hotel bill is quoted in dollars but converted to pesos at a rate of 8.78 (slightly more than the official rate of 8.67, but still a substantial discount). Essentially our stay at a 4.5 star hotel that Trip Advisor rates as one of the best in BA, is costing us $132 dollars a day, including 21% tax and breakfast.

We ate at El Establo, a very good downtown Parrilla, for 650 pesos, including tip. That's 24 dollars each, including wine but no dessert (portions are huge. We were stuffed after the main course, so passed on dessert).

• 1 month later...
We exchanged money yesterday @13.4 pesos per dollar on the blue market. Our hotel bill is quoted in dollars but converted to pesos at a rate of 8.78 (slightly more than the official rate of 8.67, but still a substantial discount). Essentially our stay at a 4.5 star hotel that Trip Advisor rates as one of the best in BA, is costing us $132 dollars a day, including 21% tax and breakfast.

We ate at El Establo, a very good downtown Parrilla, for 650 pesos, including tip. That's 24 dollars each, including wine but no dessert (portions are huge. We were stuffed after the main course, so passed on dessert).

Any hints about exchanging money for blue dollars?

Thank you,

Donna Jean

Thank you for the information – I have just started planning our trip next year and your suggestions will be most helpful.

I’m sorry to hear about your “incident” it can’t have been a pleasant experience, but I’m glad to hear that you’re OK and hopefully your insurance will pay up…

I’d be most grateful if you could answer a couple of questions – did you provide an itinerary for the guides/tours, or did you take their recommendations? And did you visit the penguins in Puerto Madryn with a private guide, or a ship’s tour?

Any help you can give would be gratefully received.

Thank you

We were on the Zandaam South America and Antarctica cruise. The trip of a lifetime!! We had not made previous plans for a tour of Valpo after we checked in for the ship, but took a chance in a taxi driver outside the gate. Emilio Urzua was fabulous! He has lived there all his life, and knew the sights we would want to see. We felt very safe and had a nice visit with him. I highly recommend him!! He can be reached at emilio.urzua.31@facebook.com.

in general, we went with the tour agenda. The tour in BA with Fabian was completely personalized after many emails back and forth.

For Punta Tombo we used Sentir Patagonia. Our smaller group was leaving when hordes arrived from ship tours. The van was comfortable and we had a nice box lunch which was not incl in other private tours. Agency was good to work with, responded promptly and well organized. Only slight glitch they dropped us downtown to take the ship shuttle back to port.

We did the SA cruise in January. Great trip! We did several private tours.

In BA we booked a private walking tour with bafreewalkingtour.com, very good guide.

Montevideo took a private tour with Mario Rivero & Marta email rcturismo@adinet.com.uy or sygtraslados@adinet.com.uy they were also very informative.

In Valparaiso took an all day tour with Cristian with Ruta Valparaiso ending at Santiago airport. He was amazing! http://rutavalparaiso.cl/sitio_ruta_index_en.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Buenos Aires. We arrived a week before sailing and spent four days touring the city - two days with Tomas (Bonaventura Tours) seeing the city sights and sailing on the Tigre Delta, one day at Estancia El Ombu de Areco, and a day exploring the San Telmo Market and Government Square on our own. Since we overnighted in Buenos Aires the first night of the cruise, we took in Tango Carlos Gardel and returned about 0030 with no problem.

Iguazu Falls. If you are leaving from BsAs, a trip to the Falls is not to be missed. Eleanor Roosevelt remarked, "Poor Niagara," after seeing Iguazu. A fellow CC member organized a group of 20+ who booked individually with Pablo from 01Argentina. We had a great time exploring the falls in small group tours arranged by Pablo. He arranged the air (Aerolineas Argentinas), accommodations (2 nights in Iguazua the Saint George Hotel), tours and transport to/from the airports for less than a third of Celebrity's price for an up/back on the same day.

Montevideo. Tour of the city highlights followed by lunch and wine tasting at Vina Varela Zarranz winery which included cheese, olives, cold cuts, homemade meat pie (similar to quiche) and a dessert sampler. This was an excellent tour that got us back to the ship with plenty of time for shopping.

Punta del Este. Tour included a drive through Beverly Hills, San Raphael, Hand in the Sand Monument, Four Seas Corner, Casa Puebla, Museo del Mar, and a drive around the peninsula. The trip was originally planned to include a meal (not included) at El Sargo. After discussion in the van, we opted to skip the lunch and return to the ship as most of us had been on the go (and eating) since arriving in BsAs over a week ago. The guide/driver, Hebert Sismondi was good, but not outstanding.

Puerto Madryn and Punta Tombo Penguin Tour with Forestero Tours. While most of the 80,000 penguins that come to the reserve to mate and prepare for the winter had already departed, there were plenty to see. Most were molting which means they were defenseless since they cannot enter their safe environment, the water. It was great to see the penguins and walk among them - they have the right of way on the sidewalks. The only downside was the 2.5 hour drive from Puerto Madryn followed by an equally long return. Our driver spotted many local animals and stopped for pictures of animals including mana (small deer-like animal related to the antelope), choique (similar to ostriches), guanacos (llamas), maras (Patagonian hare) and two rodents - tuco tucos and the tailless cavy. As we neared the ocean, we saw turkey vultures, pinguinas (egrets), grey petrels, and albatross. Since the area is surrounded by sheep ranches, we saw gauchos and border collies herding. A box lunch was included.

Ushuaia. We left the port about 7:30 and breezed past the entrance gate since the park had not officially opened and made our first stop at a small area where our guide explained that beavers had been brought from Canada to start a fur industry. The only problem was the beavers adapted to the slightly warmer climate by growing shorter fur, thus reducing the value of the skins. Now there is a huge beaver overpopulation problem. Next stop was Ensenada Bay where the End of the World Post Office is located. With our early start we were still ahead of many of the ship tour busses. We stopped briefly at Roca Lake for photo opportunities and then at the park's main area for shopping, coffee and bathrooms. The guide paid our entrance fees as we exited and handed us our tickets. There are several glaciers, including the La Martial, surrounding Ushuaia which gave us some excellent photos. While the guide was very knowledgeable of the area, her English skills were limited.

Punta Arenas. We arrived outside the harbor at Punta Arenas this morning greeted by winds gusting to 60 knots. The Chilean authorities closed the port due to dangerous conditions and there was no question that we would be moving on since it was a scheduled tender port. The activities staff put together a full day of things to do while the cooks broke out lots of food to feed the starving hoards who were unable to eat ashore. The captain announced that we would be going to the Skua Glacier tomorrow - it's a bit off track but we have plenty of time. The Chilean pilot on board said that we would enjoy it and we did.

Puerto Montt with GV Tours. After our tender ride ashore, we began our first day in Chile with a ride to the countryside through an area where there was a forest fire yesterday which closed the highway. Last night's rain had dampened the fire, but there was lots of lingering smoke near the city. On the way, we learned that this area was settled by Germans in the mid-1950s. Today the influence is still very strong with private German schools, clubs, and parks. The weather cleared as we approached Lake Llanquihue, the largest in Chile, for a short stop and walk about the town of Puerto Varas, known as the City of Roses. Since we were early, the shops had not yet opened. In the distance was our next stop, Mt. Osorno, a snow-capped volcano. We walked across the lava field to reach the Petrohue Falls and rapids. While not Iguzu, it was very picturesque with glacial blue water swirling. We stopped at restaurant in the Vincente Perez Rosales National Park and learned that the owners of the tour company (and restaurant) were an ex-pat from Oregon (complete with his OSU ball cap) and his Chilean wife. Our final stop of the adventure was in the Bavarian-styled village of Frutillar with a very interesting performing arts center. We wished that we had more time in Puerto Varas on the outbound leg, but we were driven by the need to get to the restaurant before the ship's tours arrived.

Arica with Sertours. We did a quick walking tour of the town including the Cathedral designed by Gustave Eiffel (of tower fame) and a few other sights. After getting in the van, we headed to a surfing area and small lighthouse and then headed up the large rock hill, Morro de Arica, with a figure of Christ facing the sea and several cannons commemorating the battle in the 1880s where the Chilean troops defeated the Peruvians gaining control of the area. We drove along the coast for a while observing local birds before heading into the Lluta River Valley. We visited the San Jeronimo Church founded in the 1600's with a few vendors selling mementos. We stopped for a delicious lunch at 38 y medio Restaurant - probably the best meal we have had off the ship since leaving Buenos Aires. We the left the main highway to cross the mountainous desert before descending into the next valley to visit the mummies from 6000-8000 BC at the Museo of the Universidad de Tarapaca. On our travels we saw several geogliphs dating from the 1500's. We had an excellent driver who told our guide (translator) what we were seeing. It seemed like he was a last minute substitution.

Lima – Cancelled due to dock unavailability – Pisco Substituted

I would caution against using Peruvian Local Friends for tours in Lima. They require a 50% deposit and when we provided cancellation notice three weeks in advance due to the port problem, they said the contract did not provide for refunds. X provided a credit of $50 or $100 per person depending on cabin level as compensation.

Pisco (San Martin), Peru (Sub for Lima/Callao)

Originally we were scheduled for Lima (Callao) but the pier was not ready for our arrival so San Martin was substituted. We were very pleasantly surprised with the Ballestas Islands Exploration Ships Tour (Ship Tour I501). We were bused to the port of Paracas where we boarded a very comfortable boat to the islands. We saw the Candelabra on the hillside and then proceeded to the islands where we saw lots of sea lions, pelicans, boobies, and other seabirds including Magellianic Penguins. It was an excellent tour but friends reported that they had taken the free shuttle to Paracas and were offered a similar tour for $25.

Manta with Narwell Tours

We had an excellent tour with Jonathan and Jesus from Narwell tours. Our arrival time was delayed and then it took longer than expected for the ship to clear, but our excellent guides adjusted the schedule to compensate and we still saw all that was planned - just shorter stops. We stopped at the Pacoche Humid Forest to see the howler monkeys, stopped at a small restaurant on the coast (not included) for a seafood luncheon, visited a renowned Panama hat maker in the village of Pile, shopped for hats and souvenirs in Montechristi and returned to the port.

Transiting Panama Canal

The Panamanian pilot and Infinity's speakers provided a great commentary going through the locks and the remainder of the canal. We were in the locks with the Azamara Journey which provided an interesting perspective since Infinity is a Panamax vessel which absolutely fills the lock while the Journey is smaller. The "new" locks are still under construction and the Panamanian pilot said they would be ready in 2016. 2017 or 18 would appear to be a much safer bet. We began the approach from the Pacific about 6AM and after traveling north, we entered the Caribbean about 6 PM.

Colon, Panama Embara Indian Village (Embara Village Tours)

The highlight of the visit was traveling to the village by dugout canoes and watching the boatmen handle them when there were only inches of water below the boat and our 6 - 8 passengers. This village of 135 residents is really authentic complete with a local K-6 school with a Panamanian teacher. Lunch was local freshwater fish and plantains served in a plantain leaf bowl and delicious fresh fruit. A village elder took us on a trail to show us some local plants and other sights. The native dance was little more than the women moving their arms and walking in a circle with a drummer in the background. The worst part was the hour we spent before getting to the canoe area with our guide, Ian, getting lost on the back roads of Panama. We had a very close vote on returning directly to the ship based on his incompetence, but are glad we stayed with the plan.

Cartagena, Columbia with Marelvey Pena

We walked through one of the nicest port entrances complete with all sorts of wildlife - flamingos, peacocks, long-necked geese, parakeets, parrots, sloths, rabbits, etc. to meet our superb guide, Marelvey Pena. Our first stop was at el Popa, a monastery at the top of the city's highest point. There was a festival-like environment as we arrived with a group of recent high school graduates enrolled in a government program performing several dances. After watching this, we walked the remainder of the way to the top for some excellent views of the city along with explanations by Marelvey and then entered the chapel complete with the alter from a former church in the city. At the Fortress of San Felipe, we learned about how the one-legged, one-armed defender of the city defeated a far larger British force and about a recent ceremony attended by Prince Charles and Camilla. We then did a nice walk about the old city, seeing the walls, main plazas, cloisters and visiting the Spanish consulate, the Gold Museum and a Juan Valdez coffee shop. It was very hot and very humid and Marelvey did an excellent job including several air conditioned stops so we could refresh. Marelvey is an excellent guide who I would recommend highly.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Golden Princess cruise from Valpariaso to Los Angeles in March 2015. We traveled with another couple and spent a week before the cruise in the Santiago area. I had done my research for a tour guide, using the recommendation of another Cruisecritic member and have to agree with the original poster that Fernando from ChileFunTours is fantastic. We had contacted Fernando months ahead of time, and asked him for suggestions for the week. He responded immediately to every email I sent him, and together we worked to create the itinerary we wanted. He is so knowledgable, is always prompt, a great driver, and feels like a friend now. Great English! And great prices. He would even change things for us if we requested something different at the last moment. You don't pay him until the end of the day for your tour. We used him for the entire week and it was the best part of our entire vacation.

If you are interested in something different and want to see the country outside Santiago, may I suggest Cascada de las Animas up in the foothills of the Andes. They have all levels of accomodations, and we stayed in the Lodges, which were individual rooms that included a great breakfast. This place offers outdoor things like swimming, horseback riding, rafting, hiking or just doing nothing. Friendly staff, (english speaking sometimes) and the rooms were great. We did a horseback ride up into the hills- what memories we will have. We ate at the hotels restaurant for early dinners/ late lunches and they were all good. They have transport from the airport but we used Fernando, who then came back 2 days later to pick us up and return us to Santiago via a couple of his favorite wineries. It was a great start to our trip as we could relax and get over jetlag. Wish we stayed longer.

We spent the rest of the week with Fernando seeing the city, going to see penguins, and eating at some great restuarants using his recommendations. We stayed at the Sheraton 4Points and it was very safe and close to things. The day before we were going on the cruise, Fernando took us to Valpariaso for the day and then to Vino Del Mar. We had a good look around and he took us to lunch at an artist type restaurant where we had our own private patio overlooking the city and water. We stayed at the Sheraton in Vino Del Mar, which was amazing- rooms directly on the ocean. Short taxi ride to the pier, arranged by the hotel. As much as we love cruising, we can truly say our week with Fernando was the highlight of our trip.

For my Antarctic Cruise I had to fly to Punta Arenas and spend a day and then fly to King George Island. I was looking for something to do and here is the report.

Here is how the day went.

I was up early but no tour agencies opened until 10AM. I went in the Turismo and told a lady I wanted to take a tour. I would like a city tour in the morning and a Mangellenic Island tour in the afternoon. She said that I could take a Mangellenic Island tour this morning. I said the hotel clerk told me that the ferry only ran in the afternoon. She said Yes, but today is a special and you can take one this morning so I said. Go For it. She said you have to hurry and go one and a half blocks here to which she gave me a map and I boogied on over and got on it. I went back this afternoon to thank her and give her 1000 Chilean Pesos ($2) but she had left so I talked to her boss and thanked her for the expert service. She would see that she got the thank you.

This was not a ferry but was better. We rode a van (14) people which included 4 from HAL Vendam. We rode about 20 or 25 minutes north and were let out on the side of the road by a wooden pier. In about 15 minutes along comes this 40 to 50 ft cigar looking boat with 3 175 HP outboard engines and we board taking life perservers from those getting off.

Having done the Otway and the Mangellenic Island tour, I must say that the Mangellenic Island tour is far superior. It was only 1 and a half hours each way. We spent one hour on the Island and then went to Marta island to see the biggest sea lions I have ever seen. Only one passenger in 41 got a little sea sick. The motorman had to slow for some rough chop and the pitch combined with a roll got to him.

I didn't bring any of the Scopace that I had and felt bad that I could not help him.

I thought it was nice of this agent at Turismo to refer me to another tour agency.

The tour agency is Solo Expeditions. I talked to Carmen Gloria at Solo Expeditions and she said that they did book cruise passengers of course which I found out later with the 4 from the Vendam.

I just lucked out, so I would contact Carmen Gloria at canoles@soloexpediciones.com and make arrangements.

We dropped off the Vendam passengers right at their ship on the way back, so I assumed they were pícked up there.

We got back to the dock at 3PM and the Vandem passengers were aboard by 3:30 PM

We probably boarded the Cigar Like boat about 11:30 AM or possibley 12 noon. The motorman did say that there was no guarantee that we would get to Marta Island and if it got too rough, he would not be able to make it. We just stopped at Marta Island and didn’t get off the boat. Those sea lions must have been 1500 lbs each. I had a 25 year old man walk in to our clinic the other day and we weighed him on the laundry scale and he weighed 697 Lbs. These sea lions would dwarf him.

We did bounce around a good bit, but it was a good trip.

Best part of the trip is that I didn’t fall down. One lady tripped and went to the ground, but only embarrassed and bounced right up.

If you all can make the arrangements, I would recommend it over the Otway trip. They had some coffee and cookies complimentary. Of course dress warm since the wind is the chilling thing and there was a lot of that.

Disagree about penguin tours for Puenta Arenas. We saw many penguins and some up very close. This was in January.

Also, if you stay in the port, there is not a lot to see there.

Other suggestions in Puenta Arenas I suggest not going to see the penguins. Very long drive and a very dusty road and not many penguins and you cannot get close to them. Go on a city tour. The best place to see penguins is in the Falklands and also Puerto Madryn. Both of these areas a great but both are very long rides but worth it.

Kandy from Texas

I agree that our 2004 was not as good as the 2009

Mangellenic island- 2009 -A short ride and nice boat ride.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F&id=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F%21247&sc=photos

2004—Otway was long and dusty to get there.

For my Antarctic Cruise I had to fly to Punta Arenas and spend a day and then fly to King George Island. I was looking for something to do and here is the report.

Here is how the day went.

I was up early but no tour agencies opened until 10AM. I went in the Turismo and told a lady I wanted to take a tour. I would like a city tour in the morning and a Mangellenic Island tour in the afternoon. She said that I could take a Mangellenic Island tour this morning. I said the hotel clerk told me that the ferry only ran in the afternoon. She said Yes, but today is a special and you can take one this morning so I said. Go For it. She said you have to hurry and go one and a half blocks here to which she gave me a map and I boogied on over and got on it. I went back this afternoon to thank her and give her 1000 Chilean Pesos ($2) but she had left so I talked to her boss and thanked her for the expert service. She would see that she got the thank you.

This was not a ferry but was better. We rode a van (14) people which included 4 from HAL Vendam. We rode about 20 or 25 minutes north and were let out on the side of the road by a wooden pier. In about 15 minutes along comes this 40 to 50 ft cigar looking boat with 3 175 HP outboard engines and we board taking life perservers from those getting off.

Having done the Otway and the Mangellenic Island tour, I must say that the Mangellenic Island tour is far superior. It was only 1 and a half hours each way. We spent one hour on the Island and then went to Marta island to see the biggest sea lions I have ever seen. Only one passenger in 41 got a little sea sick. The motorman had to slow for some rough chop and the pitch combined with a roll got to him.

I didn't bring any of the Scopace that I had and felt bad that I could not help him.

I thought it was nice of this agent at Turismo to refer me to another tour agency.

The tour agency is Solo Expeditions. I talked to Carmen Gloria at Solo Expeditions and she said that they did book cruise passengers of course which I found out later with the 4 from the Vendam.

I just lucked out, so I would contact Carmen Gloria at canoles@soloexpediciones.com and make arrangements.

We dropped off the Vendam passengers right at their ship on the way back, so I assumed they were pícked up there.

We got back to the dock at 3PM and the Vandem passengers were aboard by 3:30 PM

We probably boarded the Cigar Like boat about 11:30 AM or possibley 12 noon. The motorman did say that there was no guarantee that we would get to Marta Island and if it got too rough, he would not be able to make it. We just stopped at Marta Island and didn’t get off the boat. Those sea lions must have been 1500 lbs each. I had a 25 year old man walk in to our clinic the other day and we weighed him on the laundry scale and he weighed 697 Lbs. These sea lions would dwarf him.

We did bounce around a good bit, but it was a good trip.

Best part of the trip is that I didn’t fall down. One lady tripped and went to the ground, but only embarrassed and bounced right up.

If you all can make the arrangements, I would recommend it over the Otway trip. They had some coffee and cookies complimentary. Of course dress warm since the wind is the chilling thing and there was a lot of that.

Thank you for this information. I reserved our tour with Solo Expediciones for next March @ $88 US pp vs. $169.95 pp with Princess.

Thank you for this information. I reserved our tour with Solo Expediciones for next March @ $88 US pp vs. $169.95 pp with Princess.

Always have a back up ready in case the weather is too bad for the boat to make the trip. I hope you have good weather, because this is a great trip. Punta Arenas is an interesting city around the main Magellan square. Not a whole lot to see, but that egg sandwich they make is really good.