Private guides in Puerto Montt?

jruth4

I am looking for recommendations of a private guide/tour in Puerto Montt to Petrohhue River Falls, Lake Llinquihue, and surrounding areas.

I contacted Eureka Turismo which had been previously recommended but I am hesitant to arrange with them because they want payment in fall before, with no refund if for any reason the ship can't make the port. The guy I heard from Raimundo Runge, said that all the guides in Porto Montt do it this way. I have never heard of this before; other guides contacted in other ports want a credit card deposit, or just to be paid in cash on the day of the tour.

I would like to hear if others have had this happen. Please let me know if you have other guides/tours to recommend in this port.

-Judith

I am looking for recommendations of a private guide/tour in Puerto Montt to Petrohhue River Falls, Lake Llinquihue, and surrounding areas...

...The guy I heard from Raimundo Runge, said that all the guides in Porto Montt do it this way.

-Judith

No they don't! Do a search on this forum for GV Tours, which has tons of good reviews here. I'll be using them in two weeks, and was instructed to pay the driver at the END of the tour.

Have a great cruise!

I am looking for recommendations of a private guide/tour in Puerto Montt to Petrohhue River Falls, Lake Llinquihue, and surrounding areas.

I contacted Eureka Turismo which had been previously recommended but I am hesitant to arrange with them because they want payment in fall before, with no refund if for any reason the ship can't make the port. The guy I heard from Raimundo Runge, said that all the guides in Porto Montt do it this way. I have never heard of this before; other guides contacted in other ports want a credit card deposit, or just to be paid in cash on the day of the tour.

I would like to hear if others have had this happen. Please let me know if you have other guides/tours to recommend in this port.

-Judith

We are using GV Tours in February. No deposit; just reservation paying in cash at the end of the all day tour.

thank you for the recommendation of GV tours. Each time I try to email them at both the addresses given on the their website, the mail is returned to me as undeliiverable. How were you able to reach them? Please help - I want to be able to use them.

-Judith

We are using GV Tours in February. No deposit; just reservation paying in cash at the end of the all day tour.

thank you for the recommendation of GV tours. Each time I try to email them at both the addresses given on the their website, the mail is returned to me as undeliiverable. How were you able to reach them? Please help - I want to be able to use them.

-Judith

This is very weird. After I wrote the above post, following the notifications that my email was undeliverable, I got a response from GV Tours, who had apparently gotten my email! I've arranged to go with them in Puerto Montt.

The GV Tours website has been hijacked before (where another entity has tried to use the same website name, thus messing up access to their site). GV should probably start using a more unique name for their website to avoid this. (I'll suggest it to them in 12 days!) Any suggestions?? I'm thinking something like "the full montty" dot com!

HI. We used one of the drivers who were at the port. We joined up with another couple on the dock and it was not expensive--much less than we would have paid for the ship's excursion--and we basically followed the same route up and back. He was a good driver, spoke English and we had a great time. He was very flexible and stopped when we wanted to stop. We have always found very good drivers and guides at the ports and have never had any problems--ever. We found the same at Puerto Madryn in Argentina and he took us to the Preserve. He was also a great guide and driver. If you also stop in Ushuaia, you can just hire a cab or remise to take you to the Tren or Tierra del Fuego National Park or to hike the glacier. The only caveat, however, is you do want them to speak English and definitely agree on price first, but again, have not had any problems or incidents. Be sure to save time to browse the port market in Puerto Montt before you board the ship. They had really nice handmade crafts, native to the people from the area--and very good prices.

I also had failed emails to GV Tours and ended up contacting the US contact - who happens to be in my hometown of Denver. His email went straight thru. Gail from GV called me and we are set for our tour. He also emailed me and even my "reply" to his email was failed delivery. Weird! So I'm posting this for future viewers who may have problems - if so, email to JOSEPH A HANNAN: jahdencol@msn.com and he will be sure it gets to GV Tours. Joe used Gail years ago and suggested he start the company (Gail is a guy). Joe has been over there several times now and volunteers to help GV out with this email problem. Seems they've changed sites a few times and still have the problem. I don't understand why Joe's emails go thru but mine don't....oh well!

We used GV Tours last February and were very pleased with our tour.

If you're up for it, click on my review (in my signature, and go to the Puerto Montt section) you'll be able to read what we did and our appreciation. We ended up with Gail's daughter as a guide - and while she's pretty young, she was a good host and guide for the day.

I would book them again without hesitation. They took our reservation through email (after a few attempts - we too had problems reaching them) and we paid in full at the end of the tour.

Enjoy this cruise everyone - it's a once in a lifetime!!

MC

• 7 years later...

Just got back from round the horn tour. had a wonderful tour with Luis of GV tours. He was delightful and very responsive. We did and saw so much and he was very helpful and informative. An excellent experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you already booked with someone else but we used Denis Purtov http://www.puertomontt-excursiones.com/en Email: denis.purtov@gmail.com

The tours were "Osorno volcano & Petrohue Falls, Llanquihue & Todos los Santos Lakes". We paid in USD the day of the tour. I had organized 2 groups from our Celebrity cruise in January 2015.

All good things to say about them. Everyone enjoyed the day, we had great weather, clear skies.

• 3 weeks later...