Inside cabin

Schplinky

My partner and I are guaranteed for an inside cabin on Navigator of the Seas. Hopefully, we'll get upgraded to an atrium view, to make the cabin less claustrophobic, but failing that, can anyone suggest any ways of copiing in such a cramped space?

My partner and I are veteran cruisers and had always booked a guaranteed "outside" cabin. In one instance we were upgraded to one with a balcony -- and that was really nice. However, we decided to experiment and try a "guaranteed inside" cabin (the lowest priced category) on a recent rather expensive Mediterannean cruise. We used the considerable money we saved to spend four extra days in Rome.

We were apprehensive, but to our surprise, we didn't mind the inside cabin one bit. We realized that we spend extremely little time awake in the cabin -- definitely less than one hour a day. It didn't feel claustrophobic to us at all.

Now, if money was no object, of course I'd prefer an outside cabin -- or even better, one with a balcony. But for us, the added $1,000 (or more, for two passengers) simply isn't worth it. Except for a porthole, we enjoyed every other amenity offered to passengers who spent twice as much as we did -- and any time we wanted to be outside, we walked out on deck. I'd rather use that extra money and take another cruise.

I'd say not to worry about the cabin. We learned that for us, it's the least important aspect of the trip -- far behind the ports, meals, service, weather, entertainment, and socializing. Have a great time!

Hi,

Yes, inside staterooms save money. But if you're even mildly claustrophobic would the savings be worth it?

I had never been the least bit claustrophobic. But I NEVER again intend to book an inside stateroom. I'd not had one 'til we did our 1st Alaska cruise in '98. We took one there on a last-minute hot deal.

While it's true many do not spend much daytime hours in the stateroom, I found I was NOT happy being closed in, unable to see outside. The bridgecam on the TV helped. But the sensation of not knowing day from night or movement from stationary was quite disconcerting.

CM

Thanks. Claustrophobic was an expression and not an actual condition either of us has. :)

We're happy enough to take our gamble on a first cruise. Hey, we don't know any better, right? I'm sure it will be hard going back to an inside cabin if we ever spring for a view or balcony but at this point, it's not worth paying almost twice as much.

My friend and I just went on my first cruise (his 5th) and I sprung for an outside balcony room. I don't think I'd ever want anything different. However, we booked back in June for a January 2nd sail date and got an unbelievable deal! I'm considering going on the Atlantis Nav. of the Seas next Jan/Feb and am budgeting between $1500-$2000 for the type of room I want. I figure it's a year away so it's very little to save every month and get a room with a balcony. I think the inside rooms are the same size as the room we had with a balcony, but even still that balcony makes all the difference if you can afford it!

By the way ... to "Two Boys Cruising" that idea with the TV showing the sunrise in the inside cabin is one "radiant" idea; and I'm sure it works too!

If you want to "simulate" a window, put your TV on the bow cam at night with the volume down. It will be black and not bother your sleeping, but as the sun comes up it will lighten up the room like having sun come in a window.

What a great idea!!!

My pal Joe told me of his first cruise - it was an inside stateroom and when he woke up the second day it was 6 o'lock, so he got up and got ready for breakfast and when he went out into the corridor everyone else was going to DINNER!

It's nice to have that outside balcony and window but we definitely saved a bundle by doing an inside guarantee.

Dan

I would recommend a ocean view for the first cruise. If you can afford a balcony or suite stateroom, go for it. I love a stateroom with a walk in closet.

If you are ever on Celebrity Galaxy, that would be #9006 on the Vista Deck.

I didn't feel claustrophobic in an inside room. It rained 5 days of that cruise (RCI Rhabsody of the Seas, 2/2004). I started to think we were just above the crews' bowling alley though.There is so much happening on the ships, I find I am not in the room very long. On the other hand, I would love to save up for a luxury suite with butler service and a full bath.

Our first cruise was a 40th birthday celebration to Alaska so we splurged on a balcony room....this past January we decided to see just how awful an inside cabin would be...however we got upgraded to an outside cabin. So while I haven't yet stayed in an inside, we decided that for us, the outside cabin would be worth no more than 25 bucks a person. While it was nice to have daylight and to look outside to see if it was cloudy or not before heading off for the day, the total darkness of an inside cabin would have been nice at naptime! It was really hard to see out of the window since it was behind the bed...so unless you are playing Lucy and Ricky and sleeping in separate beds, we found the window really didn't do much for us.

Clay

Archived