BBW First Cruise

seadrifters

I also posted this as a reply to an old thread "Bigger Person" but I thought it could stand on its own.

Hello there. I can't believe this is the only thread about cruising as a larger person. But, I found it! So here goes. My husband and I are going on our first cruise in less than a month, and I am more than a little nervous. I am a big girl, and we are going on the Oasis. I'm so worried that I will be the biggest girl on the ship, and will be judged! I mean, I'm not super huge, but I am feeling like I'll stick out like a sore thumb. I'm worried about all the walking, on the ship and in the ports. I'd like to be able to relax and enjoy the ship, but I fear I will be too self conscious an end up staying on the balcony of my room. Am I crazy for feeling this way? Will there be other big people there? My husband is a bit husky, but very active. I think I'll be too afraid to do the excursions with him. I guess I'm looking for support, and words of advice. Any responses would be appreciated!

You have nothing to worry about. Passengers come in many sizes and I'm certain that you will not stand out. Besides being a BBW , I'm also disabled due to MS and not from my size. Both have never stopped me from enjoying cruising and taking part in excursions/daily activites. There is absolutely no reason for you to stay on your balcony for the entire cruise. Don't let this hold you back from enjoying your cruise and taking part in daily activities. If it does, you only have yourself to blame as no one else cares. ENJOY!!!!

Another BBW checking in. Great comments thus far. To give u an idea I am 5'6" 275, luv to swim & I do so. I try to buy suits which enhance my figure. We all come in different sizes & shapes & nothing to worry about. Feel good about who u are. Get off the balcony & enjoy the entire ship with ur husband. U will have a wonderful time, believe me no one pays attention. Everyone is too busy doing their thing. Please check back in after ur cruise & let us know how it went. I think u will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you Gram2trips, I can't tell you how much yours and the other ladies words are helping me. I have 2 bathing suits, one I like better than the other. I also bought a cover up that is nice and big, and pretty long. That will help me feel better when at the pool. I just wish I had some kindred sisters t

like you that I could meet on the cruise. I promise to check in after the cruise!

I am also a BBW and am admittedly larger than many women. Sometimes I think us big grrls need to be reminded that everyone deserves to have fun - not just skinny people.

If you're comfortable, happy and confident in your own skin, people tend to respond to you very positively no matter what size you are. If you are anxious and withdrawn people pick up on that and respond in kind.

That being said, I am most comfortable in swim trunks and a fast-drying t-shirt when I go swimming or snorkeling. The more comfortable I am with myself and what i'm wearing, the more fun I have.

Go swimming, go snorkeling, try out that surf rider - I would!

HAVE FUN!

I used to think this way too and on my first cruise I was a little scared also. I think I was more worried they would throw me off the plane or tell me I needed to buy another seat..they didn't but I did have to buy a seatbelt extender. I probably could have asked for one one the plane but didn't want to have to ask.

Anyway as for the ship. I did everything everyone else did. Some of the chairs were a bit of a squeeze but for the most part it was fine. I even went to the club and danced with my friends and family...and strangers! The point is that at some point you just have to say heck with it and do your own thing..don't worry about what other people think. It's what you do and think that counts not what anyone else thinks. Plus your not going to see these people again. Don't for one minute think that you are any less deserving of a vacation or enjoying yourself and you know that you cannot fully enjoy yourself knowing, thinking or wondering what other people think about you!

In my case not only am I a pretty large woman but I also have a physically and mentally disabled sister whom we also travel with. She laughs loud, talks loud and get's mad loud and sure people stare but after awhile you learn to live with it and accept it. I know my sister doesn't care what people think of her so why should I? And to think my sister is more out going then me and has more friends then I do..by the end of the cruise everyone practically knew her name because she was so out going and to her it didn't matter what other people thought of her..it never enters her mind and it doesn't stop her from having fun and doing what she loves.

I think that also helped me in knowing I wasn't the only one with a visable ailment (for lack of a better word) and made me realise you have to live in the now and not regret later. Because I can almost gurantee you, that if you were to stay on the balcony the whole time, you would regret it later and it's not that fun anyway because there is so much other stuff to do..you would be missing out and probably wasting money on a cruise you didn't think you could really enjoy because of what other people think.

I do hope you let loose and enjoy your cruise, cause that's really what cruising is all about!

:rolleyes: Taking a cruise should be enjoyable and not worrying about what other people think enjoy yourself take both swimsuits when one is wet just switch up like someone said there is always someone who maybe your size or larger. Have confidence in yourself and imagine being a famous person or star.

I too have fears about the plane. My husband and I both wanted window seats (for different reasons, I wanted it so I could squish up against the window), so he is actually sitting behind me. And it looks like both seats are taken next to me, so I'm worried too. I am praying that mabe the person with the aisle seat bought 2 seats for himself/herself! I would just DIE if I couldn't fly with my husband. How embarrassing! I think that once I'm actually in Florida I'll feel sooo much better. We're flying in the day before, so we won't have to rush to the dock that day.

Everyone who has replied here is so nice, and supportive! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. It is definitely making me feel a lot better.

i hear ya.. i hear ya! lolol

this last cruise we went on, i took the advice of others and just said to heck with it! Sure, i still wore shorts with my swimsuit so i could feel a bit more comfortable and i ended up not wearing any of my sleeveless shirts but that was my choice so i could deal with the rest of it. I ended up having the time of my life.

Yes, there are many others who are overweight on the cruise. I happened to be one of the largest ones. But at the same time, because i was choosing to throw caution to the wind, i ended up not focussing and stewing on it as much as i do normally. I didn't notice the stares as much as I do going grocery shopping or walking down the street here. At home, i'm pretty uncomfortable about being in public. But on the cruise, I figured i had as much right to be there as anyone else, and i just enjoyed myself.

Like Megalodon said, how you present yourself makes all the difference in the world.

To address some other points in your OT, yes there is a ton of walking. My hubby ended up giving me foot massages each night as they were so painful by the end of the night. BUT, there is a TON and i mean a TON of places to sit and relax on the cruise ship. Unless your rushing to the other end of the ship to catch a show or meet a dinner reservation, you're on vacation! Just leisurely stroll along and when you need to sit, do so and people watch for a while. There are many people sitting everywhere, so no one is going to think "oh, look at the fat lady..having to sit cause she can't walk far."

As for excursions, just do your homework. Pick excursions that have a lower activity level so you can be sure that you'll be able to enjoy them along with your husband. There are always stores near the port for shopping for souvenirs, so if you have to, you can always opt to buy there instead of walking further inland for better deals.

Oh... and one more thing... HOT TUB!! Nothing beats the aches and pains of a long day of walking and activities, than a soak in the hot tub under the stars. It's romantic, relaxing and you can fully unwind.

Bon Voyage!

Hello Miss Rabbit,

Thank you for your thoughts. The walking in the heat gets really hard for me. I just HATE getting sweaty! The bathing suits I'm bringing both have skirts on them, so the shorts are out. Actually, shorts look terrible on me so I stick with capris. I have a couple of sleeveless tops, but I'll probably stick with nice tees/tunics. Do you know of any excursions in the western carribean ports that dont really involve walking? There is one I saw that is a drive along the coast (I forget which port) and then the beach. I think I'd like that. I really would like to see some of the ports, but I don't want to do the walking. Also, when you go to the beach, is there somewhere to change? I can't wear pants over my skirted suit.

I am looking forward to the hot tub! I just hope their not too crowded. I guess I'm high maintenance, lol!

But honestly, if the plane ride is a success and my seasickness patches work, I'll be so grateful that nothing can keep me from being happy!

I too have fears about the plane. My husband and I both wanted window seats (for different reasons, I wanted it so I could squish up against the window), so he is actually sitting behind me. And it looks like both seats are taken next to me, so I'm worried too. I am praying that mabe the person with the aisle seat bought 2 seats for himself/herself! I would just DIE if I couldn't fly with my husband. How embarrassing! I think that once I'm actually in Florida I'll feel sooo much better. We're flying in the day before, so we won't have to rush to the dock that day.

Everyone who has replied here is so nice, and supportive! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. It is definitely making me feel a lot better.

Regarding flying -- for future reference you should know that many of the planes are designed so the aisle seats have collapseblee arm rests. colla This is to allow wheelchair passengers to transfer in/out of these seats. Most American Airlines planes have these on the right aisle seats ( Right side when facing cockpit). Seatguru.com often shows which seats have aisle collapseble arm rests. I always try to get one of those seat. Makes for a much more confortable flight.

Regarding flying -- for future reference you should know that many of the planes are designed so the aisle seats have collapseblee arm rests. colla This is to allow wheelchair passengers to transfer in/out of these seats. Most American Airlines planes have these on the right aisle seats ( Right side when facing cockpit). Seatguru.com often shows which seats have aisle collapseble arm rests. I always try to get one of those seat. Makes for a much more confortable flight.

I always contact the airline with the flight i want, so they can look up the exact style of plane i'll be flying on. This helps me know that A)the armrests move and B)the aisle armrests move. On alot of planes, older ones mostly, the aisle armests don't move at all. Anything you can do to find out the info beforehand, will go that much further to assuage your fears of flying.

Please don't worry about your size. It doesn't mean that you cannot have a good time anywhere you go. Just be yourself, smile and above all, keep your head up and in the sunshine! You are worthy of a wonderfule time, as we all are. I didn't put on a bathing suit for years for fear people would comment. Didn't even take one on my first cruise. When I saw how happy everyone was and that no one, but no one, was concerned how I looked, then I regretted not have any swimwear.

You didn't say where you were going, but if you get a chance to swim with the stingrays or dolphins, please do it. It is the most wonderful experience in the world and it gets you so involved that you don't even think about how you look to some one else. And forever after that you just won't care, because you are a happy person who has has a great time.

Please come back and let us know how it went, and take pictures. I love watching other people having a great time...

Peaches the constant cruiser

Thank you Peaches. It is so nice to talk to people in the same situation as I. I have thought about swimming with the dolphins, but is there a lot of walking to get there? I know my husband was thinking about it too. Oh how I wish this was a BBW cruise! I would be so looking forward to meeting everyone. But, I will take the advice of being confident. I'm going to do my hair and makeup every day, and that will definitely help I think. I can't believe how close it's getting!!

Thank you Peaches. It is so nice to talk to people in the same situation as I. I have thought about swimming with the dolphins, but is there a lot of walking to get there? I know my husband was thinking about it too. Oh how I wish this was a BBW cruise! I would be so looking forward to meeting everyone. But, I will take the advice of being confident. I'm going to do my hair and makeup every day, and that will definitely help I think. I can't believe how close it's getting!!

I don't remember ur itinerary but in Nassau there is not alot of walking to go to Blue Lagoon & the dolphins. Also in Bermuda there is a doplhin experience which is walkable from the ship.

Again, be urself, go & u will have a wonderful time. (only time i wore makeup was to dinner)(i was on vacation!!!)

We're going to Labadee, Costa maya and Cozumel. From what I've read I don't think these are the destinations for me. But I will do what I can do. No Mayan ruins for me! Lol!

And, doing my hair and stuff always makes me feel better about myself, so I will take a little time each day to do it. I plan to get up early and have some coffee on my balcony watching the sunrise. I'll get ready while my hubby goes to the gym. Every bit of confidence helps!

Archived