Snow issues on sailing day?!?!

My family is going on a cruise in Feb out of Bayonne NJ and I was just wondering how much snow has to fall for it to be an issue? If a true blizzard hit NJ can they still come in/go out? We have never sailed out of an area where snow was an issue and was curious if anyone has any insight on what to be prepared for. Thanks!:D

Been there done that...

The issue isn't so much the SHIP, as the shoreside staff, passengers and supplies...the ship will sail, likely a bit late. I think we left maybe 2 hours late due to late arriving flights and delays loading supplies and luggage....

the roads to the pier (NJ Turnpike, and the road in) will/should be plowed...BUT the parking lot may be a mess...

we were on time, but disembarkation was delayed due to late arrival of shoreside staff. We were also on a B2B so we didn't really care:p:D

That said...a number of pax had to catch up in San Juan....which was our first port (not sure how it worked with the PVSA/Jones Act... but about 40 people boarded, including the Captain-they were due to swap in Bayonne...)

I would suggest booking a cancellable room near EWR on both sides....if you do not need it, cancel. Reason being, other roads may be yucky, and if you wait to the last minute, all the airlines will snag all the rooms....meaning, if you can't get your flight out/or drive all the way home, you'll at least have a crash pad....

It's sort of fun to see a little snow on the ship! the crew goes crazy!! most haven't seen it...and a couple enterprising crew made a 6 inch tall snow man....hysterical.....

Also, as a pilot for a large regional airline that flies in and out of EWR-if you are planning on flying in I would have multiple back-up plans. February in EWR can be quite unpleasant and airlines cancel flights early and often with the new Passenger Bill of Rights.

That said...a number of pax had to catch up in San Juan....which was our first port (not sure how it worked with the PVSA/Jones Act... but about 40 people boarded, including the Captain-they were due to swap in Bayonne...)

The PVSA has an exception for transporting passengers to/from Puerto Rico. Until such time that there is a US flagged passenger vessel qualified to make the sailing from the US mainland, foreign flagged vessels can do it without penalty.

Also, as a pilot for a large regional airline that flies in and out of EWR-if you are planning on flying in I would have multiple back-up plans. February in EWR can be quite unpleasant and airlines cancel flights early and often with the new Passenger Bill of Rights.

EWR can be unpleasant on a good day in June too. Every morning when I am watching the news Logan seems to have flights delayed or canceled down to Newark. What is wrong with that airport anyway?

Luckily we are planning on driving (only a 5-6 hour drive and we have a 4 wheel drive truck in case of bad weather) so my concern is more about the actual ability to depart port then the airports. But thanks for the input...you are right about the weather being dicey up here that time of year! Hoping that it is less risky "down south" in NJ;)

Luckily we are planning on driving (only a 5-6 hour drive and we have a 4 wheel drive truck in case of bad weather) so my concern is more about the actual ability to depart port then the airports. But thanks for the input...you are right about the weather being dicey up here that time of year! Hoping that it is less risky "down south" in NJ;)

I was going to mention that you could always just jump in your car if the forecast wasn't looking so good. Just be careful when you get to the RI boarder. Unlike NH, ME, and VT, RI has no clue how to get snow off of the roads.:D

we always cruise in the winter thats why two days early minimum. we fly in.

The PVSA has an exception for transporting passengers to/from Puerto Rico. Until such time that there is a US flagged passenger vessel qualified to make the sailing from the US mainland, foreign flagged vessels can do it without penalty.

cool!! good to know....

Been there done that...

The issue isn't so much the SHIP, as the shoreside staff, passengers and supplies...the ship will sail, likely a bit late. I think we left maybe 2 hours late due to late arriving flights and delays loading supplies and luggage....

the roads to the pier (NJ Turnpike, and the road in) will/should be plowed...BUT the parking lot may be a mess...

we were on time, but disembarkation was delayed due to late arrival of shoreside staff. We were also on a B2B so we didn't really care:p:D

I would suggest booking a cancellable room near EWR on both sides....if you do not need it, cancel. Reason being, other roads may be yucky, and if you wait to the last minute, all the airlines will snag all the rooms....meaning, if you can't get your flight out/or drive all the way home, you'll at least have a crash pad....

It's sort of fun to see a little snow on the ship! the crew goes crazy!! most haven't seen it...and a couple enterprising crew made a 6 inch tall snow man....hysterical.....

I so remember that....Meg!!

My family is going on a cruise in Feb out of Bayonne NJ and I was just wondering how much snow has to fall for it to be an issue? If a true blizzard hit NJ can they still come in/go out?

Snow has no effect on a cruise ship leaving port.

I would second the suggestion to reserve a room for the return and cancel if not needed.

We took a land based vacation 2 years ago. As we flew across the country the forecast kept getting worse. On the day we were to fly back-- Washington, DC was expecting light snow. (up to 2 inches) When we arrived at dusk we had to sweep 7inches off of our truck. It was still snowing like crazy. We got half way home and had to get a room for the night. We had 12+ inches by morning.:eek::(:p

You have a reasonable idea what the weather will be when you leave. But, you can never count on the long range forecast for the return.

That's also why you can have cruises like the Bayonne-San Juan one Brilliance is doing in November.

duh...:eek: sometimes i am goofy...but that repo gets to a distant foreign port before ending up in SJU so i never really thought about it.....

ahhh...let me not even think about it anymore...i will need a few glasses of wine...:p;)

I was going to mention that you could always just jump in your car if the forecast wasn't looking so good. Just be careful when you get to the RI boarder. Unlike NH, ME, and VT, RI has no clue how to get snow off of the roads.:D

you guys are to quick for me.i was gonna say just drive but i was beat to it.and as to roads in our fair state you can feel the difference, literally when you cross the boarder

If they're smart, the quicker route would be to go around us anyway. Probably safer too.

EWR can be unpleasant on a good day in June too. Every morning when I am watching the news Logan seems to have flights delayed or canceled down to Newark. What is wrong with that airport anyway?

We call it the 1-2-3 rule:

1 Cloud within

2 miles equals

3 hour delays

A two runway airport can only handle about 40-60 arrivals per hour. The NY/NJ Port Authority allows the airlines to schedule up to 80.

ANYtime in EWR can be unpleasant! Not just February. LOL. I also work for an airline, and have had MANY delays in and out of EWR on perfectly clear days!

Don't forget to pack warm clothes. I have had family return from a Southern Caribbean route to 12" of snow. No jackets, wearing shorts and flip-flops. They parked in an outdoor lot.

Needless to say I will always have at least a sweat-shirt in my luggage from now on!

I've sailed from Bayonne or flown out of EWR seven times in Feb. and I live in MA close to NH. You must have a plan B in case of snow. You're sailing on a Sunday, so if necessary you can come down Sat. and stay over. The problem is usually not driving in NE where for the most part the states know how to plow, have the equipment to do it, and the folks know how to drive in it. The problem is the greater NY Metro area where the roads can be a nightmare in snow that you or I would laugh at.

Do you have the cars only directions from below Hartford to the GW Bridge? Is your truck a personal "car"?

Please come to the East Coast Departures board for more info.

Been there done that...

The only ship I dealt with snow on it was my Antarctica cruise. Of course I was prepared with a Parka. Not sure I would want to deal with that when sailing to the Caribbean. :eek:

Archived