My balcony on the Gem was dangerous and locks you out-- How do I report after cruise?

pokerpro5

Was on Gem from Nov 20-27 out of San Juan.

Near the end of the cruise, we found the disturbing situation that it was very easy to accidentally close the balcony door from the outside while it's still partially locked, thus trapping yourself outside.

This actually happened once, but I was able to force it open after pulling really hard.

I was able to duplicate this in "tests" afterwards.

I meant to report it before getting off the ship, but in the whole disembarkation hassle (there was a mess with customs which backed it up for hours), I forgot.

I am worried that the next guest will get stuck out there.

How do I report this to NCL, to where something will actually get done?

Is there an e-mail I can send to the Gem staff itself?

Edited by pokerpro5

Near the end of the cruise, we found the disturbing situation that it was very easy to accidentally close the balcony door from the outside while it's still partially locked, thus trapping yourself outside.

This actually happened once, but I was able to force it open after pulling really hard.

I meant to report it before getting off the ship, but in the whole disembarkation hassle (there was a mess with customs which backed it up for hours), I forgot.

Should have been reported to your cabin steward and/or guest services BEFORE the last day. Then there wouldn't have been disembarkation confusion.. All you can do now is is email headquarters and hope the email is paid attention to.

You could also try posting a note in the roll call for the next Gem sailing.

Please do not chide me for not reporting it at the time.

If you leave the handle partially down, it's possible to open the door, and then close it once outside and it slips down a little more and locks you out.

This actually happened to me. I thought I was stuck, and I almost was. An elderly person or a woman probably wouldn't have been able to get it open, as I had to force it REALLY hard to open it.

I didn't see it as urgent because I knew to watch for it, but I meant to let them know at the front desk to prevent the next guest from getting into this spot. Then I forgot because customs got backed up, they shut down disembarkations, and that was all I could think about. Then I was off the ship and realized I forgot to report the whole thing.

I am looking to do the right thing here. It's no longer my problem, but I want to warn them in some way.

I don't want to post to the roll call. I'm not going to report it to other guests. I want the ship to know.

Anyone have a good e-mail address for such a thing?

The roll call is a good idea. It's not to warn the other guests. It's so someone who is currently on board can pass the message along to the front desk. Isn't that what you want? I think it's worth a try, while you wait (a long time) for someone to give you an e-mail address for the ship…

To share any questions or concerns with our guest relations team after your cruise, please click below. Standard Response time is 15 business days from receipt.

•Email Guest Relations

Phone

1-866-234-7350

Mailing Address

Norwegian Cruise Line Guest Relations, 7665 Corporate Centre Drive Miami, Florida 33126

Hours of Operation

Mon-Sat: 9am - 5:30pm ET

or

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL)

How do I contact a passenger directly on Norwegian Cruise Line?

norwegian-cruise-lineDial 1.888.NC SHIPS (627.4477), select the ship, and enter your credit card information. Please use American Express, MasterCard and Discover Card, only. Calls are limited to 10 minutes. Once connected, dial:

Norwegian Breakaway: 1#

Norwegian Dawn: 2#

Norwegian Epic: 3#

Norwegian Gem: 4#

Norwegian Getaway: 5#

Norwegian Jade: 6#

Norwegian Jewel: 7#

Norwegian Pearl: 8#

Pride of America: 9#

Norwegian Sky: 10#

Norwegian Spirit: 11#

Norwegian Star: 12#

Norwegian Sun: 13#

Norwegian Escape: 14#

Edited by Orleanscruiser

I would have thought that when you had to "force it open after pulling really hard" that you would have picked up your stateroom phone and reported it to guest services on the spot.

I don't see how a customs hassle at the very end of the cruise would have prevented that from occurring.

You are not a newbie here...you know as well as anyone that you are supposed to report things while you are onboard.

You found a dangerous situation in your cabin but failed to report it? It must not have bothered you that much:rolleyes:. As soon as I would have got back into the cabin I would have picked up the phone and called guest services. But thats me....

Edited by Laszlo

You found a dangerous situation in your cabin but failed to report it? It must not have bothered you that much:rolleyes:. As soon as I would have got back into the cabin I would have picked up the phone and called guest services. But thats me....

Off topic, sorry....

Hey Lazlo, I clicked on your first link in your signature to check out your youtube channel but it said it was either not available or no such channel. I think we sailed together a bunch of years ago and wanted to check out your vids but couldn't do it because of dead link.

Thanks

No, it is not just you . Most would report it onboard asap if you truly felt it serious .