The (Straight Ahead) Jazz Cruise?

hattack

I am seriously considering a cabin on the 2014 sailing on The Jazz Cruise on HAL Eurodam in late January . I am a huge smooth jazz and soul fan and was planning to do The Soul Train Cruise, but my cruising partner is a huge straight ahead jazz fan, so I thought I would surprise her with the switch

Has anyone on these boards been on one of their sailings andif yes, how are the performances arranged in the evening each night?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that thought..after much discussion with my travel buddy..we decided to take a break from jazz cruising and travel to Capetown SA for their International Jazz Festival next Spring

• 3 weeks later...

Joyfoeone,

My DH and I just registered for the straight ahead Jazz cruise and I have started a roll call thread on the Eurodam for any CC members that might be going. A quick rundown on the details is on that thread also, but here goes.

Per Host Walt:

For the benefit of our HAL Cruise Critic members, this is a full ship charter so it is not listed on the HAL website. It is bookable by anyone and has the following itinerary.

January 26 - February 2, 2014

Sunday, January 26 Departing from Fort Lauderdale 4:00pm

Monday, January 27 At Sea

Tuesday, January 28 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Wednesday, January 29 San Juan, Puerto Rico 1:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Thursday, January 30 Philipsburg, Saint Maarten 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday, January 31 At Sea

Saturday, February 1 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Sunday, February 2 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00am Disembarkation

Details are available at: http://www.thejazzcruise.com/2014

There are supposed to be approx 33 jazz artists/groups performing. It sounds like it will be quite the fun time with lots of music by such a large array of artists.

Sindee

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greetings from New Zealand. My wife and I are sailing the jazz cruise next January and it will be our third straight-ahead jazz cruise. We've also sailed one smooth jazz cruise.

We can't speak highly enough about the depth and breadth of the quality jazz and the 'vibes' the cruises produced year after year. It's a week long festival at sea incorporating not just the live jazz but also interviews and discussions, including question-and-answer sessions involving the audience and the artists.

For many die-hard fans, the ports of call almost seem irrelevant.

We hope to see you there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are currently two CC threads which talk about the 2014 Jazz Cruise; this one and another at...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1866908

Does anyone else think that we should direct our postings to just one of the threads instead of both? I ask the question because rtdiva in the other thread (listed above) was disappointed that we had so few CC conversations from jazz lovers.

As of today this thread had just 8 posts and the other 43. But this thread had 1695 views and other 443. Strangely, there are fewer posts here but more viewers!

I've posted this message on the other thread as well to see if there's a preference about posting our messages in one or the other instead of both. Or doesn't it matter too much?

Cheers

Ron

The other is for the Roll Call for the cruise and this thread is just generic one. Not many people have joined the roll call, though I was hoping more would. I even posted on the JazzCruise's facebook page about the Roll Call but don't think it drew many in.

I don't have a preference really, but I guess it depends on if the two threads serve different purposes. How's that for being non-committal?;)

My wife and I watched the Eurodam leaving Ft Lauderdale last Sunday (10 Nov) from the comfort of our home in NZ via the port's webcam (http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com), the time difference being 18 hours, i.e. Sun 4pm FLL = Mon 10am NZ.

The first ships to depart that day were HAL's Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam followed by Carnival Freedom, Royal Princess and finally the Allure of the Seas.

It certainly created a measure of excitement here to know we'll be joining you all aboard the Eurodam in about 75 days from now. For us, the jazz cruise will mark the end of our trip abroad - and what a way to finish a vacation, eh?

We start our trip with a cruise to the Western Caribbean aboard the Allure in just over a month's time. Which leads me to ask whether any of you have sailed the Allure, and, if so, what were your impressions? Cruise critic forums seem to indicate a generally favourable response by those who have sailed on her, but I'm hoping to hear from some of you seasoned jazz cruisers as well. Is it a case of sailing on too big a ship to really enjoy everything aboard?

Thanks

Ron

Greetings my friend from "Down Under"...I was disembarking on the Carnival Freedom on Sunday morning Nov 10th from our Capital Jazz SuperCruise and the Eurodam was berthed next to us...met many guests from the Malt Shop Memories cruise who were on the Eurodam

the same week and they loved it...have not be on the Allure but my friends have been on the Oasis and they loved it

Travel safely and have a great Jazz Cruise

...Hi Hattack, I'm pleased you enjoyed the Capital Jazz Supercruise and noted on its website that a few of the performers aboard were on the 2012 Smooth Jazz Cruise as well. As mentioned a while ago, my tastes in jazz are more limited than yours - but I certainly appreciated the artistry and audience-pleasing performances (if not the pumped-up volume) of those playing during my one and only smooth jazz cruise.

I note that Dave Koz is hosting an Alaskan cruise next September. Although he's probably more into smooth than straight-ahead jazz (am I right?) I still wouldn't mind being on that cruise, because my wife and I have a cruise to that part of the world on our bucket list. Combining an Alaskan and jazz cruises would give us the best of both worlds, would it not? Chris Botti, one of my favorite trumpeters, is among the guest artists.

From memory I think you've been on a Dave Koz cruise, but have you or other viewers ever been on an Alaskan cruse? Some feedback would indeed be appreciated.

You recently mentioned the Malt Shop cruise. That's another one we'd like to do before we're decrepit or walking around with zimmer frames - it would be far too difficult to sing along and jump around to the music if we ever get to that stage, LOL.

Choices, choices, choices...

Cheers

Ron

Funny how :)great minds think alike:) Nick Colionne is the jam session host on Dave's Alaska cruise next September and I am a member of his fan club (Colionne Connections)...we are putting together a group (not sure if I will be joining them) so if you like I can connect you with the group leader so you can be a part our first international connection

Yes, I was on the Smooth Jazz Cruise the year Dave Koz and Wayman Tisdale were cohost (before his untimely death)...it was a class act all the way...Sanborn, Miller, Botti etc are all straight ahead Jazz musicians who also play Smooth Jazz (you will love Marcus Miller and Neena Freelon on the Jazz Cruise)

While you are on the Jazz Cruise in January, you should speak with the organizers (ECP)about putting together a package deal for 2015 since they charter out the Eurodam for B2B2B weeks for their charter music cruises..heck you can swing by New Orleans and I will take you to hear some of the great New Orleans Jazz Musicians (Wynton Marsalis, Kermit Ruffin, Pete Fountain, etc) and we can go hear he famous Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Ron, just thought I'd lurk here to see what post are going on.:)

Bob and I took our family of twenty r/t from San Francisco to the inside passage of Alaska several years ago. Others had continuously encouraged us to visit Alaska for it's beauty, views of glaciers, bald eagles , indigenous people's. I wasn't interested.

A bit of history-

We wanted to bring our family on an affordable (Princess) cruise with us. The family at that time were distributed up and down the length of California and Idaho. San Francisco was easily accessible from our area to the ship. I know this location doesn't apply to you, just thought I'd share. One of our four daughters had tshirts made for our group that had printed "Grandpa Bobs big boat bonanza" on the white shirts. We had a ball boarding the ship as a group!

All of us were very pleased with the trip- the kids did zip lines, Salmon fishing,

Glacier exploring. Us seniors, visited the native village where smoke houses were open for us, Mosquitos were prevalent. The glaciers were spectacular.

The port villages of the inner passage are small as are some we visited in NZ. We were there over the 4th of July, American Independence Day. Small town parades are simply special since they represent what each has to offer.

The ship also anchored on Vancouver Island, totally opposite in culture of the less sophisticated Alaskans.

Now you have a person to contact in New Orleans, if you want sail out of San Francisco, we could help you out!

Ann

I apologise if my posts have recently wandered a little off topic. But there are reasons for discussing general jazz topics here as well as the Ft Lauderdale jazz cruise. Although doubtless there are threads elsewhere dealing with Alaskan cruises and jazz in New Orleans, I think it’s worthwhile encouraging discussion and feedback on these topics as well as jazz in general, not just for the benefit of the newbies, but for all those who appreciate the music we love and consider its enjoyment as one the best things in life.

I’m looking forward to January’s sailing because it will introduce me to a number of artists I’ve yet to see performing live. Apart from the regulars who perform each year or the few who visit NZ, I seldom get an opportunity both to see and hear some of the greatest names in the business, especially those who have kept the music alive through thick and thin.

Hattack...thanks for the offer to show my wife and I the sights of New Orleans. We’re seriously considering a visit to attend the Jazz and Heritage festival, or en route to another jazz cruise or to visiting our daughter in South America. Subject to our keeping good health and other contingencies, 2015 would be the earliest opportunity to visit.

rtdiva...thanks for sharing your memories of an Alaskan cruise. What a great time it must have been for you and Bob to enjoy a family get together in those surrounds. We’d like to sail there, too, and are thinking about the Dave Koz jazz cruise next September, which would combine our love of jazz and cruising.

Whatever we decide to do, I’m sure we will have plenty of things to talk about in January.

Kind regards, Ron

You and your bride have an open invitation...2015 may be perfect timing....we are working with the folks at the Litchfield (CT) Jazz Festival to fund 1 week residential scholarships to their Summer Jazz Camp for young musicians who have financial need to honor my Dad who was a Jazz guitarist (think Wes Montgomery meets Chet Atkins).. Festival is usually held in early August and we are trying to organize an opening night tribute to honor the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina featuring famous New Orleans Jazz artists....we will know by early spring 2014 if we can do it, I'll send you info and also a tape of how to New Orleans 2nd Line and throw in a 3 day Maine Windjammer Cruise..the world famous Newport Jazz Festival is held the week before the Litchfield Jazz Festival, so you cover alot while you are in the "Colonies"

By now everyone will have received ECP's e-mail informing us of our booking numbers. Hurrah! It's a sign we're within 60 days or so of sailing on the 2014 jazz cruise.

In the same e-mail Michael Lazaroff asked who we wanted to perform aboard the 2015 cruise. I hope you're all brimming with the names of your favorite jazz artists. Even though Michael requested our preferences, I'm certain that the sheer number of artists recommended by up to 2,000 cruisers will give him and ECP quite a headache.

Here's my wish list, in no particular order and limited in number to avoid too many artists in any single instrumental category:

Wynton Marsalis, Wayne Shorter, Joey DeFrancesco, Richard Galliano, Christian McBride or Nathan East, Steven Gadd or Harvey Mason, Anthony Wilson, Harry Connick Jr or Norah Jones.

To prove my parochalism I also included a small number from Australia and New Zealand: James Morrison, Hank Marvin, Nathan Haines, Rodger Fox and Erna Ferry.

Marvin is the former lead guitarist of Cliff Richard's backing group, The Shadows. English-born and now living in Australia, he's an exponent of gypsy jazz a la Django Reinhart.

OK, I could go on...and on...but will leave you with just those names.

Who else has sent Michael a wish list?

• 1 month later...

A happy New Year to you all - and now we're just three weeks away from sailing on the 2014 jazz cruise. Wow!

In my previous post (November 27) I asked if anyone had submitted their choice of artists for the 2015 cruise to Michael Lazaroff. Nobody replied, which surprises me a great deal. Or are you all simply being coy?

This year's cruise is going to be a real blast and my wife and I look forward to meeting you (some for the second time) in three weeks time.

To those who haven't read the earlier posts, there is another thread discussing this year's jazz cruise. Please check it out if you haven't already done so.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1866908

• 2 months later...

Some of you may not have heard of another Jazz cruise which I have been on numerous times. It's called JazzFest at Sea and this year in October sails out of Miami with the Allan Vaché Jazz Sextet, Harry Allen's Quintet and Bria Skonberg's Quintet.

It is not a charter (private jazz performances every night and days at sea) so you get more of that intimate jazz club feel which I prefer. Just thought I would throw that out there for other jazz lovers.

Bret